Speculation: Offseason changes. You are the GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Okay, I'll go all out in this exercise.

Trade the Russian Army (Ovechkin, Kuznetsov and Orlov) to Carolina (they can reunite with Semin) for the Staal brothers and Justin Faulk.

Trade Mike Green, MAJO and 2014 first to NYR for Marc Staal.

Yikes.

What's next? Backstrom + 2015 1st for Mike Ribeiro?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I wish Grabovski were 6'4" 225. There's nothing wrong with him, but I don't see us competing with Backstrom-Grabovski-Laich-Latta down the middle. That's middling to poor depending on how the pride of the Kloten Flyers comes back.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He's a 7 year veteran earning $6 million. He should be the one playing babysitter, not the loser requiring one.

maybe I am misreading you. but green needs a veteran defense first partner because its his job to push the pace and take the chances. he cant play his game if he is the guy backing up a rookies. right?

you put a reliable mobile defenseman with a big hitter defenseman to cover him when stepping up to hit takes him out of position. you provide a reliable stay at home defenseman to cover for the offensive d when he jumps into the offensive play.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
maybe I am misreading you. but green needs a veteran defense first partner because its his job to push the pace and take the chances. he cant play his game if he is the guy backing up a rookies. right?

you put a reliable mobile defenseman with a big hitter defenseman to cover him when stepping up to hit takes him out of position. you provide a reliable stay at home defenseman to cover for the offensive d when he jumps into the offensive play.

I see the disconnect. You're suggesting moves to maximize player strengths. We're the Washington Capitals, we don't believe in that strategy.

We would rather play guys out of position and never properly mentor young guys with older guys or attempt to acquire players to compliment our existing talent.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

Yes, if only we had a reliable mobile rock like Jeff Schultz to back him up, he'd be scoring 30 goals a year.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
realistic possibilities.

Green is traded at the draft for a 1st round pick and an NHL ready prospect.
Brouwer is traded at the deadline for a 4RD stay at home veteran to play with Orlov.
Grabovski apparently means to stay, Oates or no Oates. New GM should be able to keep him.
Veteran d first 3rd pair veteran d signed to a one year deal.
Veteran backup signed to back up Holtby with Grubauer as the backup starter while the starter in Hershey.

New coach moves Ov back to LW.

Ov-Backstrom-Fehr
Kuznetsov-Grabovski-Wilson
Chimera-Liach-Ward
Brown-Latta-Beagle(btw...I am good with Morrow if available to the Caps)

Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-Gleason(just picking a name)
Schmidt-Orpik/Ranger(just picking a name)
Oleksy

Holtby
backup

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Okay, I'll go all out in this exercise.

Trade the Russian Army (Ovechkin, Kuznetsov and Orlov) to Carolina (they can reunite with Semin) for the Staal brothers and Justin Faulk.

Trade Mike Green, MAJO and 2014 first to NYR for Marc Staal.

_________- Backstrom - Brouwer
Laich - E. Staal - Fehr
Chimera - J. Staal - Wilson
_________ - Beagle/Latta - Brown

Defense:
M. Staal/Faulk
Alzner/Carlson
Hillen/Wey or Schilling/Schmidt

Caps address both the center and defensive needs. No need to resign Grabo, of course now the need for at LW.

Dear god! You cannot be serious. The Staals? They're a whole-family dumpster fire. That's a lottery lineup you have right there. :help:

If you seriously want to trade Ovy and Kuznetsov, think bigger.

PucktotheHead

Jan 11, 2014
Virginia
Paul Ranger is an interesting name you "just picked". I have not seen him play that much but there is something about his game I like. 29yr old UFA @ $1M last season. 6'3" 210 left hander. He has a physical edge to him. Even +/- if you care about that. Hmmmm

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
i'll concentrate on who goes. There are many options on who comes.

Value in picks. It doesn't mean I want Caps to trade all these players for picks, more like using picks as a universal currency. This kind of thing gets misunderstood a lot.

Re-sign RFAs Schmidt, Latta, Mitchell (mentioning only the ones that can see NHL action any time soon)
Re-sign UFAs Grabovski, Brouillette, Stoa, I'm sure Penner won't sign, but I'd extend him to see him with a better coach
Trade/waive:
Hillen (anyone? anything?)
Brouwer (late 1st)
Johansson (mid 1st)
Green (mid 1st)

Then you have the line-up:
_____ - Backstrom - Ovechkin
Kuznetsov - Grabovski - Wilson
Chimera - Fehr - Ward
_____ - Beagle/Latta - Brown
Alzner - Carlson
_____ - Orlov
Schmidt - Wey
Holtby
Grubauer

You also have loads of value and cap space to acquire the players you want to fill the voids.

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
-I'd kick the tires on a potential trade for Evander Kane.

-Amnesty Laich.

-See if there are any takers for Green. If not, oh well...last year of his deal.

-Get a vet goalie to BACKUP Holtby.

-Sign Evgeny Artyukhin, because he's bat **** crazy.

-Get Latta on this roster as the 4C.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Assuming a new, competant coaching staff is hired:

- Extend Grabo 3 years/$14M

- Trade Mike Green for Jason Garrison
- Trade Erskine for whatever you can get
- Trade Johansson + futures for Evander Kane

- Sign Brendan Morrow 1 year/$1.5M
- Sign Brodeur/Thomas/Nabokov/Elliot/Giguere/Gustavsson/Bryzgalov to 1 year/$1.5M (whoever will take the deal); if not, move on to Clemmensen/Greiss/Dubnyk for < $1M
- Sign Stephane Robidas 1 year/$2.5M
- Sign Anton Belov 2 years/$4M

- Wilson, Carrick, Brown, Wey to Hershey
- Play the Russians at their most comfortable positions

FORWARDS

Alex Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Troy Brouwer ($3.667m)
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($4.667m) / Evgeny Kuznetsov ($0.900m)
Jason Chimera ($2.000m) / Brooks Laich ($4.500m) / Joel Ward ($3.000m)
Brenden Morrow ($1.500m) / Michael Latta ($0.605m) / Eric Fehr ($1.500m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.575m) / Jay Beagle ($0.900m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Karl Alzner ($2.800m) / John Carlson ($3.967m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dmitry Orlov ($2.000m)
Anton Belov ($2.000m) / Stephane Robidas ($2.500m)
Jack Hillen ($0.700m) /

GOALTENDERS

Braden Holtby ($1.850m)
Backup UFA ($1.500m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,218,462; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,881,538
I endorse just about all this plan.

Id make a run at Matt Niskanen compared to Robidas....play him with Wey or some other LD pickup.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I wouldn't sign Stoa, based on what I hear about his play in Hershey. Also IINM he'll have vet status next season and Hershey is already overloaded with those.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I endorse just about all this plan.

Id make a run at Matt Niskanen compared to Robidas....play him with Wey or some other LD pickup.

I have a possibly irrational dislike of Matt Niskanen and he's a candidate to be overpaid.

Looking at the market, I think they should target 2 D via trade. Aim high and pay the price...Josi, Garrison, Ehrhoff, Yandle etc.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I have a possibly irrational dislike of Matt Niskanen and he's a candidate to be overpaid.

Looking at the market, I think they should target 2 D via trade. Aim high and pay the price...Josi, Garrison, Ehrhoff, Yandle etc.

You're not alone on Niskanen. I def think he will be overpaid.

Problem with Garrison is that he has a NTC and not sure he would waive it to come here. Vancouver is a pretty darn nice place to live from what I hear!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad