Speculation: [Offseason 2024] Sam Girard, trade candidate?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Girard is a waste of 5M in cap space for the Avs playing him on the bottom pairing. Trade him and use the money when Toews wants a raise on his next contract.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
that trade had nothing to do with Dubois
The Newhook trade most definitely had something to do with Montreal not getting PLD. Had the Canadiens managed to get PLD, the picks used to obtain Newhook would have already been sent to Winnipeg (as part of a larger package) and there would not have been a need to trade for an additional top-six centre/forward.

Reactions: TS Quint and Fatass

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Pretty unanimous hell no from Habs fans. Girard is not a need or want.

Avs would be smart to dump him sooner rather than later. He is trending down and had a poor season last year. Plays scared snd has been getting injured taking routine hits. Potential to be a capdump next offseason.
was the Avs most physical dman in the playoffs.

Funny how HFB has been slamming on Habs fans because "they are blindly in love with french speaking hockey players", but when a Girard is proposed, all Habs fans are going "Hell No !" because of hockey related reasons (LHD)... Maybe we are not as sentimental as you would have thought !

Especially when none of Matheson, Ghule, Harris, Xhekaj & Hutson are french speaking...
and none are as good as Girard

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Drouin was a strange signing in my mind. Avs should be looking for players that bring playoff drive. Drouin is painfully soft, oft-injured, mentally weak and terrible defensively. He might get you 40 - 50 points but he will cost you 60-70 goals against with his careless style of play. If the Avs plan on playing him in the top-6 then you are in trouble - especially come playoff time. Drouin has no place on a cup contender.

Will be interesting to see if Nate forces Drouin into the lineup.
Neither did Newhook for all the same reasons but the Avs saved 2 mil.in cap space for a better player

Why do you care so much?
And, if you do care so much, why nobody does bad takes quite like you do?
what part was the bad take?

Reactions: McJedi

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Totally dodged a bullet. Glad Hughes did not overpay. Hughes has demonstrated that he will not cave to public pressure regarding Quebecois players.

The buffoon that proposed Girard to Montreal clearly has no clue about the Habs rebuilding plans and plethora of young D and prospects in the LHD spot. Matheson, Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris, Engstrom and Hutson. And not putting tiny Girard on his offside when we have Reibacher, Mailloux, Barron (and Xhekaj who plays RHD) in the fold. He was proposed solely because he's french.
he's the best dman of all those names, do the Habs want to get better or gamble on prospects. the future looks.bleak with most of the names you mentioned

Reactions: Fatass

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
with poor skating too ?
You are most probably trolling. Have you even seen him play ? He flies on the ice...

he's the best dman of all those names, do the Habs want to get better or gamble on prospects. the future looks.bleak with most of the names you mentioned
We don't care about winning now. The future does actually sound better than trading for Girard now.
Our windows opens later.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
was the Avs most physical dman in the playoffs.

and none are as good as Girard
Girard was the most physical of the Avs dmen? Hahahahahaha

Girard played scared. He was pathetic and all true Avs fans know this. You obviously are clueless! lol

You are most probably trolling. Have you even seen him play ? He flies on the ice...

We don't care about winning now. The future does actually sound better than trading for Girard now.
Our windows opens later.
The Habs future is indeed brighter with Girard not in the picture. Avs could probably say the same thing if they were able to dump Girard! lol

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
The Newhook trade most definitely had something to do with Montreal not getting PLD. Had the Canadiens managed to get PLD, the picks used to obtain Newhook would have already been sent to Winnipeg (as part of a larger package) and there would not have been a need to trade for an additional top-six centre/forward.
unless you believe he's lying, but Kent said they were looking to do another Dach deal. i don't think we were ever serious about Dubois

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
unless you believe he's lying, but Kent said they were looking to do another Dach deal. i don't think we were ever serious about Dubois
I think the Canadiens were very much interested with adding PLD, but they didn't want to meet the Jets trade demands so Winnipeg went with the better offer from the Kings.

Reactions: TS Quint

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I think the Canadiens were very much interested with adding PLD, but they didn't want to meet the Jets trade demands so Winnipeg went with the better offer from the Kings.
Yeah, I think the Habs were very interested in Dubois... until it was clear that they'd have to part with a key piece. Habs couldn't have matched the Kings offer tbh without going really overboard. Probably starts with Dach which would have made no sense for MTL, from my perspective.

Dubois would have been a great add if it just costs a contract & some futures... but it probably would have taken Dach, Dvorak/Anderson, one of your young DMen (not Guhle), a conditional 1st, +.

IMO MTL played it perfectly.

Reactions: CTHabsfan

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
that trade had nothing to do with Dubois
It was just coincidence he overpaid right after he failed to get Dubois? Why didn't he just do it earlier? There was an order of operations here. He tried like hell to get Dubios, he failed, he panicked and then he over payed on Newhook.

• Haha
Reactions: FerrisRox

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
that should tell you how interested we were. it wasn't 'very much'
It was just coincidence he overpaid right after he failed to get Dubois? Why didn't he just do it earlier? There was an order of operations here. He tried like hell to get Dubios, he failed, he panicked and then he over payed on Newhook.
that's your opinion and that's also your opinion (which has already been debunked to you)

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Girard was the most physical of the Avs dmen? Hahahahahaha

Girard played scared. He was pathetic and all true Avs fans know this. You obviously are clueless! lol

The Habs future is indeed brighter with Girard not in the picture. Avs could probably say the same thing if they were able to dump Girard! lol
yes he was against Seattle and no the Avs will be glad to keep him

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I wouldn’t take anything @McJedi says seriously.

I think Sam Girard would be a fine addition for the islanders. They need a PMD

Of course -- he's an NHL'er, probably better suited as a #4, and the Islanders are definitely a team for whom a small D-Men wouldn't be much of a problem.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Girard is a waste of 5M in cap space for the Avs playing him on the bottom pairing. Trade him and use the money when Toews wants a raise on his next contract.
Girard will be kept this season, most likely traded next offseason. Right now he's contingency if Toews isn't re-signed or if Byram can't stay healthy.

Reactions: Fatass and McJedi

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
avs likely wont get fair value for girard so i cant see why they'd move him.

toews has yet to have a big payday in his career. i think he'll make sure to get one next summer making the avs a unrealistic suitor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad