Speculation: [Offseason 2024] Sam Girard, trade candidate?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I would do

Avs conditional first round pick (Condition is that it needs to be a top 5 pick. So whenever in the future when the Avs are drafting in the top 5, habs get that pick) + Girard for Armia + 7th round pick. In other words, Montreal has no use for Girard.
Montreal doesn’t really have need for Barron (bust) either. Nor Harris, whom looks like an NHL / AHL tweener.

I hope y’all make something of Newhook and I think he’ll pop in Montreal, but Sakic sold the Habs a whole bunch of nothing went he sent y’all Barron. He’s not much of an NHLer. Maybe a number 6 as his ceiling.

Harris looks similar. A barely NHL level player on a non playoff team looks like his ceiling too.

Jamaican Patty

Jul 13, 2023
Montreal doesn’t really have need for Barron (bust) either. Nor Harris, whom looks like an NHL / AHL tweener.

I hope y’all make something of Newhook and I think he’ll pop in Montreal, but Sakic sold the Habs a whole bunch of nothing went he sent y’all Barron. He’s not much of an NHLer. Maybe a number 6 as his ceiling.

Harris looks similar. A barely NHL level player on a non playoff team looks like his ceiling too.

Newhook sucks, I hated that trade. He was massively overrated when he was an AV. Barron is meh and Harris has no future with the Habs. Even after all that I still wouldn’t take smurf Girard.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That's your loss.

Drouin was a strange signing in my mind. Avs should be looking for players that bring playoff drive. Drouin is painfully soft, oft-injured, mentally weak and terrible defensively. He might get you 40 - 50 points but he will cost you 60-70 goals against with his careless style of play. If the Avs plan on playing him in the top-6 then you are in trouble - especially come playoff time. Drouin has no place on a cup contender.

Will be interesting to see if Nate forces Drouin into the lineup.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Why do you care so much?
And, if you do care so much, why nobody does bad takes quite like you do?

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Drouin was a strange signing in my mind. Avs should be looking for players that bring playoff drive. Drouin is painfully soft, oft-injured, mentally weak and terrible defensively. He might get you 40 - 50 points but he will cost you 60-70 goals against with his careless style of play. If the Avs plan on playing him in the top-6 then you are in trouble - especially come playoff time. Drouin has no place on a cup contender.

Right now I trust our management. I know they have nothing to do with each others but the findings in Nichushkin, Toews or Burakovsky kinda gives me hope in the Drouin/Johansen acquisitions. People said Burakovsky was nothing more than a soft 3rd liner. Nichushkin was said to be terrible with 0 goal and 10pts in 57 games before signing at 850K with the Avs. I myself thought he was KHL bound after 10 games. Like I said I'm willing to wait and see even if my expectations aren't that high in Drouin but hey it's 825K. I'm more worried in Johansen who is stapled to be our #2C if both don't pan out we're in trouble for sure.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Right now I trust our management. I know they have nothing to do with each others but the findings in Nichushkin, Toews or Burakovsky kinda gives me hope in the Drouin/Johansen acquisitions. People said Burakovsky was nothing more than a soft 3rd liner. Nichushkin was said to be terrible with 0 goal and 10pts in 57 games before signing at 850K with the Avs. I myself thought he was KHL bound after 10 games. Like I said I'm willing to wait and see even if my expectations aren't that high in Drouin but hey it's 825K. I'm more worried in Johansen who is stapled to be our #2C if both don't pan out we're in trouble for sure.
RyJo, also a strange and risky trade. His skating is subpar and he is regressing significantly due to injuries. The Avs play a fast style of hockey. I just don't see how RyJo fits in.

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
Girard is not an option anymore for MTL. Their new D is pretty much set, and a small talented guy like Hutson should do at least as good as Girard, if not way better, down te road. Plus Girard is carrying a huge contract. Habs got lots of good depths on D now in the pipeline.

They missed the boat on a local player by letting Dubois go to LA., a guy that would had helped this team a lot on the top six.
You say we missed the boat on Dubois , I say we dodged a bullet .

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You say we missed the boat on Dubois , I say we dodged a bullet .
Totally dodged a bullet. Glad Hughes did not overpay. Hughes has demonstrated that he will not cave to public pressure regarding Quebecois players.

The buffoon that proposed Girard to Montreal clearly has no clue about the Habs rebuilding plans and plethora of young D and prospects in the LHD spot. Matheson, Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris, Engstrom and Hutson. And not putting tiny Girard on his offside when we have Reibacher, Mailloux, Barron (and Xhekaj who plays RHD) in the fold. He was proposed solely because he's french.

Reactions: Chose and habsfan44

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

It is beyond ridiculous to pretend that Jonathan Drouin will cost his team "60-70 goals against with this careless style of play."

That is simply an idiotic claim and an absurd exaggeration.

In a thread with more than a few dumb takes, this one takes the cake. You just let the "Holl is a top 4 defenseman" guy off the hook.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It is beyond ridiculous to pretend that Jonathan Drouin will cost his team "60-70 goals against with this careless style of play."

That is simply an idiotic claim and an absurd exaggeration.

In a thread with more than a few dumb takes, this one takes the cake. You just let the "Holl is a top 4 defenseman" guy off the hook.
Idiotic claim? Its the truth. He's worse defensively than what he brings offensively. His turnovers kill momentum. He's soft, can't win any puck battles. He was a liability on the ice.

He plays a junior style game in a pro environment.

Clearly you have zero clue. This has nothing to do with Holl.

• Haha
Reactions: FerrisRox

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
MacDermaid to Montreal and now Girard to Montreal?

Who’s making these threads anyway? Is there some bizarre need being fulfilled of having the Avs and the Habs trading with each other?

There are 30 other teams in the league with many of them being more suitable trading partners for either team.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Clearly you have zero clue.

This is my new favourite post in all the time I've been at HF Boards, which is twenty years.

After claiming that Jonathan Drouin is going to cost the Avalanche "60 to 70 goals against" this poster is now telling *me* that I have zero clue! Do you have any concept how bad and how lazy a player you would have to be to cost your team 60 to 70 goals against? Do you have any idea how bad the coaching staff would have to be to allow a player that is that much of a liability to play more than a handful of games? Do you have any idea how stupid this claim is? Good Lord!

Holy crap is this ever funny. Is there a way to sticky a post? This is an All-Timer!!! Thank you @Junohockeyfan This is fantastic!

Last edited:

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Well what are you insinuating when you compare the point totals then?

Everyone knows Hutson can put up points at that level. It was never a concern for people. The concern is how he will translate to the NHL. Points in college alone do not tell you how a player's play will translate into the NHL. Yet it seems like the majority of the Habs fan base already has him penciled into a top pairing, top PP guy in the NHL, which is just crazy to a lot of people because the main concern for him still has not been proven to not be an issue.
I am saying that its fair to be excited about Hutson. He put up a killer D+1 season and the truth is if that he was not so small he goes much much sooner in his draft year.

As for what you said about points in college not translating to the NHL well that can be said about every single player that plays college hockey, Junior hockey also. So I am not sure why Hab fans catch crap for getting excited about a prospect that doing so well.....

MacDermaid to Montreal and now Girard to Montreal?

Who’s making these threads anyway? Is there some bizarre need being fulfilled of having the Avs and the Habs trading with each other?

There are 30 other teams in the league with many of them being more suitable trading partners for either team.
school hasn't started yet.....

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Weird thread to make about next offseason already, lots of things will change during next season.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Well what are you insinuating when you compare the point totals then?

Everyone knows Hutson can put up points at that level. It was never a concern for people. The concern is how he will translate to the NHL. Points in college alone do not tell you how a player's play will translate into the NHL. Yet it seems like the majority of the Habs fan base already has him penciled into a top pairing, top PP guy in the NHL, which is just crazy to a lot of people because the main concern for him still has not been proven to not be an issue.
It absolutely was, many people assumed his size would hold his offence back in college just like they did with Caufield. It's almost like we've seen this story unwind with the same team literally within the last two-three years

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
View attachment 736796

Played Top 3 minutes on a Top ~5 defensive team in the league last year, and had solid analytics to go along with said usage... If you dont think Holl is a Top 4D then what exactly do you think Hutson is going to become?
Damn this reminds me of elite shutdown D Martin Marincin's numbers back in the day! I guess LITERALLY every person who has watched Justin Holl play has been wrong about him all along

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
Totally dodged a bullet. Glad Hughes did not overpay. Hughes has demonstrated that he will not cave to public pressure regarding Quebecois players.

The buffoon that proposed Girard to Montreal clearly has no clue about the Habs rebuilding plans and plethora of young D and prospects in the LHD spot. Matheson, Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris, Engstrom and Hutson. And not putting tiny Girard on his offside when we have Reibacher, Mailloux, Barron (and Xhekaj who plays RHD) in the fold. He was proposed solely because he's french.
100% agree with your Girard take , these proposals seem to be used as an excuse by more than a few posters to crap on the Habs and their fans rather than any serious discussion about a potential trade . It's childish , boorish , tiresome and stale just like the aforementioned posters .

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
100% agree with your Girard take , these proposals seem to be used as an excuse by more than a few posters to crap on the Habs and their fans rather than any serious discussion about a potential trade . It's childish , boorish , tiresome and stale just like the aforementioned posters .
Eh, I can tell you with certainty that I didn't post this thread to crap on the Habs or their fans, nor because Girard is French (at least not more than a minor factor, which is more about if he would want to be there). Habs have a weak D (good pipeline, but weak currently) with only one longterm vet and I thought Girard could help. I cheer for the Habs in most scenarios, and I always prefer a few veterans to insulate young players.... especially if they might want to be a part of the rebuild and could be added for relatively cheap. Clearly, Habs fans disagree and I haven't offered any real pushback against that disagreement.

Not everyone is out to get one over. Grow up.

Reactions: Alienblood

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
Eh, I can tell you with certainty that I didn't post this thread to crap on the Habs or their fans, nor because Girard is French (at least not more than a minor factor, which is more about if he would want to be there). Habs have a weak D (good pipeline, but weak currently) with only one longterm vet and I thought Girard could help. I cheer for the Habs in most scenarios, and I always prefer a few veterans to insulate young players.... especially if they might want to be a part of the rebuild and could be added for relatively cheap. Clearly, Habs fans disagree and I haven't offered any real pushback against that disagreement.

Not everyone is out to get one over. Grow up.
Where in my post did I accuse you of posting this thread to crap on the Habs or their fans or that everyone is out to get one over? Learn how to comprehend what you read !

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
This is my new favourite post in all the time I've been at HF Boards, which is twenty years.

After claiming that Jonathan Drouin is going to cost the Avalanche "60 to 70 goals against" this poster is now telling *me* that I have zero clue! Do you have any concept how bad and how lazy a player you would have to be to cost your team 60 to 70 goals against? Do you have any idea how bad the coaching staff would have to be to allow a player that is that much of a liability to play more than a handful of games? Do you have any idea how stupid this claim is? Good Lord!

Holy crap is this ever funny. Is there a way to sticky a post? This is an All-Timer!!! Thank you @Junohockeyfan This is fantastic!
Yep, you still have no clue! lol

100% agree! Its bait!

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
It absolutely was, many people assumed his size would hold his offence back in college just like they did with Caufield. It's almost like we've seen this story unwind with the same team literally within the last two-three years
Size issues are much tougher to overcome on d

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad