GDT: Offseason 2023 Thread - Now what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Heck yea, if the top FAs want to take a 1-2 year deal to play for a cup contending team to wait for the cap to go up, come one come all.

Orlov at 2 x 6.5? Yes please.
Bertuzzi at 1 x 8, cmon down.

Gives some leeway to then trade Skjei and another piece in a hockey trade for a 2C.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If UFAs are willing to wait for the cap to go up before the teams give the stupid money, well then, I hope the Canes talk to every goddamned UFA and see who's up for playing for one of the best teams in the league for one or two years. I said that one season of Tom Wilson would be a ton of fun, but one season of Tyler Bertuzzi would be even more fun. If Orlov is willing to take a two year contract, well, there's your Skjei to Nikishin bridge player.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Both hips were cleaned in 2019, when cartilage and bone spurs had gotten there. However, now they started to bother again, so a bigger operation had to be done. Now both hips were operated on and a metal ball and cup were placed there. However, they are not artificial joints. The pain should go away and the hips should become normal again,”.

recovery time from a major operation is six to ten months…possible ‘24-25 return?

hip replacement surgery? That’s brutal for his age.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Again, if Duchene is willing to take a 1 year, restore my reputation-type of contract over here, it is IMO a no-brainer. You can stick him anywhere in the top-6 depending on whether KK can take the next step in his development or not. If KK can be that 2C, you can stick Duchene next to Aho and pile up the points. If KK can't be that 2C, you can stick Duchene there, move Turbo up, and run Marty-Staal-Fast again.
He answered those questions with 60+ goals over the last 2 seasons. This is part of the Preds purging of veteran multi-year deals. Now he might do a 1-year soft landing deal, but he's going to get tons of interest so I think it's unlikely. He'd be a very good fit in Raleigh though for the reasons you noted.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Exactly, RBA's puck-and-chain, medieval system would turn him into Martinook. He's one season removed from 40 goals. No need for that here.
And a part of their really awful PP this past season. His perimeter play won’t help us there either.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Both hips were cleaned in 2019, when cartilage and bone spurs had gotten there. However, now they started to bother again, so a bigger operation had to be done. Now both hips were operated on and a metal ball and cup were placed there. However, they are not artificial joints. The pain should go away and the hips should become normal again,”.

recovery time from a major operation is six to ten months…possible ‘24-25 return?

hip replacement surgery? That’s brutal for his age.

How is a metal ball and cup not an artificial joint? I’m no doctor, obviously, but that sure sounds that way to me.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
How is a metal ball and cup not an artificial joint? I’m no doctor, obviously, but that sure sounds that way to me.
today i learned there is a thing called hip resurfacing. (which is still technically a type of hip replacement, i think.)

if my very cursory read after a quick google is correct, what he had can only be described as hip placement if the doctor starts the procedure saying "just the tip."

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I expect to wake up to good news. Trade Pesce. No self rental.
Trading Pesce requires someone to offer something worth accepting. The Canes are not going to give him away for a replacement 3rd-pair RHD, someone else's spare parts F spec, and a 2nd in 2025...which seems to be all anyone seems to think we'll get, if you go by other team's boards.

At this point, We should own rental if the real offers suck as bad as the pile of stink other team's fans want to offer us.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's a bit curious. In Finnish, Jesse talks in partitive form, "some steel ball and cup got put there" like he didn't get the full works but only some odd bits of crap.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
If we do in fact sign Duchene i’m not worried at all about attitude/effort/dedication. If he accepts a deal from us that means he’ll be doing so knowing what’s going to be expected of any player in our group, these kind of things will be outlined and cleared up before pen is put to paper.

If he’s not looking for that kind of thing he’s more likely to go chase money with a Detroit or a Columbus.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Just reading that Jonathan Toews may not be offered a contract until late if at all, would he be someone you’d like to see the Canes give him a professional tryout contract?

i know we have bigger fish to fry right now, but something to think about

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Just reading that Jonathan Toews may not be offered a contract until late if at all, would he be someone you’d like to see the Canes give him a professional tryout contract?

i know we have bigger fish to fry right now, but something to think about

That’s a no from me

Reactions: chaz4hockey

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
This is my new favorite take from the main boards in the Pesce thread:

Maybe because the Canes are pawning off a 3-4D that provides zero offence for a 40 goal, ppg winger that has the ability to play C...and he's only 26...

If the Canes want Nylander, they can either offer Slavin or remain a treadmill playoff team (They remind of the Raptors pre-Kawhi...elite defensive team, no bad contracts, deep but no superstar up front to take them where they want to go).”

Reactions: Raleighpig
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad