GDT: Offseason 2023 Thread - Now what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Please for the love of God, get rid of Jeff Daniels.
Priority #1 has to be to bring in a legitimate proven top line forward to play with Aho so he can stop being relied upon to babysit our young kids all the time.

Priority #2 has to be to fix the power play. It cost us at least the last 2 years in the playoffs and there is no excuse anymore. Rod, fix it or you're answering some really tough questions after next season.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm curious as to what the opinions will be of Necas around the league. Will teams see the 70-pt 24-year-old and be willing to pay up? Or will they immediately go the playoff film and here we are back in the same place as we were last offseason?

If the move is right, feels like maybe we should be striking while the iron is hot and trading in this stock. If the move/price isn't right because teams are cold on him due to the playoff run, let's run it back again with him next season and see if he can bounce back yet again.

$24m in cap space, with 8 forwards, 5 defensemen, and 1 goalie signed (this includes Svech on the IR, meaning we're getting his cap back and he's not one of the 8 forwards). In layman's terms, a shit ton of cap space. I bet we see another Pacioretty-esque move. We have a ton of cap space to work with, but the offseason after this we've got Aho, TT, Necas, Jarvis, Drury, Pesce, and Skjei all up. So we've got the room for one year - if we commit too much of that free space beyond the one year it limits our flexibility for that major shakeup year. Either entice a FA with a giant 1-year offer, or start looking for the guys with one year left to shake free from other teams.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Necas is such an enigma. Because we know he was trade bait the past offseason, and for good reason. Then he plays 2/3rds of this season like a star player, before reverting back to “trade bait Necas” for the last 30 games or so.

And you know it’s likely just inconsistency you have to expect from a young player, but at the same time, you can’t help but wonder if we could do better.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Necas is such an enigma. Because we know he was trade bait the past offseason, and for good reason. Then he plays 2/3rds of this season like a star player, before reverting back to “trade bait Necas” for the last 30 games or so.

And you know it’s likely just inconsistency you have to expect from a young player, but at the same time, you can’t help but wonder if we could do better.
Necas' inconsistency wouldn't be as big of a problem if he were on a team that has established scoring depth where their offense wouldn't dry up if he's on one of his cold streaks. With Svech out, he had to step up to be Robin to Aho's Batman, and he just couldn't get it done.

I'm fully on the "trade" bandwagon because I just don't believe we can win in the playoffs with him playing a big role. Aho, for as much as I've criticized him at times, can at least contribute in other ways when he's not scoring (d-zone, PK, general effort etc.). If Necas isn't creating offense, he's basically a liability out there.

His contract having one year left and him likely wanting a substantial raise doesn't help matters to me either.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Priority #1 has to be to bring in a legitimate proven top line forward to play with Aho so he can stop being relied upon to babysit our young kids all the time.

Priority #2 has to be to fix the power play. It cost us at least the last 2 years in the playoffs and there is no excuse anymore. Rod, fix it or you're answering some really tough questions after next season.
Both priorities are so true.

Aho needs some other elite forward in the top 6. He can't carry the team offensively all of the time. If we can't get an elite top 6 forward, then maybe Dubois or Crouse as the next best things. Also, I don't want us to trade Jarvis. The kid was really good in the playoffs, and I think he'll continue to grow.

Also, can we try to improve the roster as much as possible, among other reasons, for Burns? The guy has never won a cup and isn't far from retirement age.

Finally, I'm very okay with re-signing Andersen after how well he did in the playoffs. One is concerned he'll get injured again before the playoffs, but signing him puts off any need to use trade assets on a goalie which would be taken away from the help we need with trading for a top 6 forward. Hopefully after the end of his next contract, Pyotr or another goalie will be a reliable starter to succeed Andersen.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
This is going to take some time to process my feelings about our exit. On one hand, I never expected to be in the ecf considering the injuries to our lineup so I’m proud of the guys and happy with the outcome. On the other hand, we went out in embarrassing fashion again while exhibiting many of the same issues. Our pp is ineffective, our top forwards did their disappearing act when it mattered most etc.

I hope this summer we can find a way to add some physicality to our top 6. I’d personally like to see Teravainen gone at this point. Necas can play another year and see if he can take another step forward. Pacs I would welcome back but only as an addition to our main pieces, not to be a main guy because I don’t think we can rely on him. We need to shore up the 3 ld spot, too. As for the goalies I definitely don’t want to run with Raanta/Koochie. Maybe Andersen and Koochie but I’d still feel much better with a solid 3rd goalie just because of Andersen’s injury history.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

I do agree with this. Nothing is for certain inn this league, you cannot remain in contention forever and you have to strike while the iron is hot. While it's great we made the ECF, it does feel like a missed opportunity even with the injuries.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
You don’t trade a young 70 pt scorer you have signed for another year. You just don’t count on him to be your grindy playoff point getter. Stop asking the fork to be a spoon….even if you’d accept him being a spork.

He’s not a physical player, and at this point he needs space to make things happen. He’s hardly the guy to blame though.

TT moving on makes the most sense. Might be time for KK to become Staal.

We’ve got one more swing at this with the group as we know it. On paper they didn’t improve last off season, we have room to correct that this season. I questioned management last summer and to me the spotlight is officially on them. I don’t think anyone wants to hear about how we made a really really great offer and should’ve gotten that guy but we didn’t and management is mad…..seething even at the other team for not giving us the player after making SUCH an amazing offer.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You don’t trade a young 70 pt scorer you have signed for another year. You just don’t count on him to be your grindy playoff point getter. Stop asking the fork to be a spoon….even if you’d accept him being a spork.

He’s not a physical player, and at this point he needs space to make things happen. He’s hardly the guy to blame though.

TT moving on makes the most sense. Might be time for KK to become Staal.

We’ve got one more swing at this with the group as we know it. On paper they didn’t improve last off season, we have room to correct that this season. I questioned management last summer and to me the spotlight is officially on them. I don’t think anyone wants to hear about how we made a really really great offer and should’ve gotten that guy but we didn’t and management is mad…..seething even at the other team for not giving us the player after making SUCH an amazing offer.
I agree with what you said about Necas, but not with the bold. "On paper" the additions of Pacioretty, Burns, Stastny, CDH and Chatfield while losing Trocheck, Nino, TDA, Cole and Smith was an improvement IMO. Here's why: I felt the the team had 3 top things in the off season,
1) Get a better top pairing RHD: Check
2) Get a goal scorer: Check
3) Get rid of guys that take a lot of penalties: Check.

Even though losing Nino (who didn't do much in the playoffs for 4 years) and Trocheck were losses, overall I think the team did improve in the off-season "on Paper", but an injury to Patches and the loss of Svech made it exceedingly more difficult. They got Patches to be that guy that would score that key goal when you needed it. Missing him for the whole season really hurt. Just my $0.02.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I agree with what you said about Necas, but not with the bold. "On paper" the additions of Pacioretty, Burns, Stastny, CDH and Chatfield while losing Trocheck, Nino, TDA, Cole and Smith was an improvement IMO. Here's why: I felt the the team had 3 top things in the off season,

Even though losing Nino (who didn't do much in the playoffs for 4 years) and Trocheck were losses, overall I think the team did improve in the off-season "on Paper", but an injury to Patches and the loss of Svech made it exceedingly more difficult. They got Patches to be that guy that would score that key goal when you needed it. Missing him for the whole season really hurt. Just my $0.02.
And even if you consider Pacioretty a major risk, Burns was objectively a major improvement on TDA. And I think you can easily argue he was an improvement on Hamilton on defense and especially in the playoffs.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I don’t think anyone wants to hear about how we made a really really great offer and should’ve gotten that guy but we didn’t and management is mad…..seething even at the other team for not giving us the player after making SUCH an amazing offer.
This, all of this right here. I'm so tired of hearing this song and dance from the front office. Time to shit or get off the pot.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
In my opinion, Necas needs to spend his summer doing 1 of 2 things:

1) Studying hours of video of Jack Hughes & how a fast, skilled player that doesn’t/can’t play a heavy game operates in traffic & can still be a major impact on the scoresheet on a nightly basis (including & especially in the Playoffs), or

2) Gaining 10-15 lbs & busting his butt in the weight room, so when people body him, He can better take those hits & maybe won’t disappear when teams get physical.

Or both. :laugh:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

I would agree Burns is an improvement obviously but the way I see it is we replaced Tro with Kk and Nino with Martinook. Neither count as improved replacements, and KK was in a position where we couldve use improvement and really needed at least the same. Of course he improved but still pretty clearly is a Staal replacement.

We wanted to add a forward and we got Patches, but to me the overall net wasn’t an improvement even on paper. I’m fine with the argument the other way, I just didn’t see it. The hole created at 2C was a choice we made, and while I don’t see it as the one thing that sunk us I don’t think we would’ve went further even without injuries - and that spot is a big reason imo. I think our forward group is in flux and lacked the definition it had the previous couple of years.

Another year of tread off of our top four guys is something to be looking at next year. I think the third pair has to be solid.

I would shit or get off the pot about Rod’s style as well. Give him the type of player he needs instead of smaller offensive types or old dudes just willing to take orders. We go far with guys not necessarily playing the game they’re made for but they buy into the system. If we’re gonna grind - upgrade the grinders. They’ll excel at the system.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I would agree Burns is an improvement obviously but the way I see it is we replaced Tro with Kk and Nino with Martinook. Neither count as improved replacements, and KK was in a position where we couldve use improvement and really needed at least the same. Of course he improved but still pretty clearly is a Staal replacement.

We wanted to add a forward and we got Patches, but to me the overall net wasn’t an improvement even on paper. I’m fine with the argument the other way, I just didn’t see it. The hole created at 2C was a choice we made, and while I don’t see it as the one thing that sunk us I don’t think we would’ve went further even without injuries - and that spot is a big reason imo. I think our forward group is in flux and lacked the definition it had the previous couple of years.

Another year of tread off of our top four guys is something to be looking at next year. I think the third pair has to be solid.

I would shit or get off the pot about Rod’s style as well. Give him the type of player he needs instead of smaller offensive types. We go far with guys not necessarily playing the game they’re made for but they buy into the system. If we’re gonna grind - upgrade the grinders.
At the very least upgrade the grinders to heavy hitters. Florida hit us hard enough over the series to make us stop playing our style long enough to sweep us. We need to have the players physical enough to see Brindy's style to its fullest.

One other thing we need is are guys who can pick a corner and consistently shoot for it. Florida was noticeably going top corner every time they had an open look all playoff long against Freddie and beat him enough times to win. On the other hand seemingly every time we had an open look we pumped a shot into the pads or into the chest logo. You go back and watch the series again and it's noticeable that they had an offensive strategy against our goalie and we didn't against theirs.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
I know we’d probably never do it, but, Killorn would be a decent add in FA.

I would shit or get off the pot about Rod’s style as well. Give him the type of player he needs instead of smaller offensive types or old dudes just willing to take orders. We go far with guys not necessarily playing the game they’re made for but they buy into the system. If we’re gonna grind - upgrade the grinders. They’ll excel at the system.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This, all of this right here. I'm so tired of hearing this song and dance from the front office. Time to shit or get off the pot.

I get that mindset, but holy hell, what did you want them to do re: Tkachuk and/or Meier?

Every indication is that we were the front runners for Tkachuk, but Florida made an offer in the final minutes that was well above what Carolina or St. Louis offered. And when the deal came out, yeah, that was true. No matter who Carolina had on the table, it wasn't a 115-point player + a good, young defenseman. We were competitive and leading the pack for most of the trade process, but we couldn't compete if that was an offer available.

Meier was a bit different, because it seemed less about what Carolina offered and more about what Meier/San Jose wanted. Rumor had it that our offer for Meier was better than Jersey's, but either Meier or Grier preferred the Devils. Not much that can be done there. We made the best offer (allegedly) and still missed out.

So yeah, I get that it's frustrating to be the bridesmaid of some of these major deals, but I can't really see how the Borg is to blame for the results. It's not like they did anything wrong in either situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad