Offseason 2023 II - The Trotz Era Begins

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I believe any prospect that is expected to make the NHL as a center should not be switched to wing just to play in the NHL before they're ready at center. It is a developmental mistake to take that approach. Just like you don't push offensive defensemen to forward just to get them into the NHL earlier. You let them develop at their position in the AHL until they're ready.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I believe any prospect that is expected to make the NHL as a center should not be switched to wing just to play in the NHL before they're ready at center. It is a developmental mistake to take that approach. Just like you don't push offensive defensemen to forward just to get them into the NHL earlier. You let them develop at their position in the AHL until they're ready.
Where does he do the most good for the team?

At some point he might become a consistent first line capable center who beats out Glass ... maybe not. He might play some center this season as Brunette tries to form this group of people into a team and multiple combinations get tried out. He might become 2/3C heading into opening night with Novak at wing and Sissons either at wing or 4C ... ROR at the other middle six center spot. Maybe he's at wing. As I said, we'll get a clue in a few weeks.

Declaring either center or AHL is premature.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Where does he do the most good for the team?

At some point he might become a consistent first line capable center who beats out Glass ... maybe not. He might play some center this season as Brunette tries to form this group of people into a team and multiple combinations get tried out. He might become 2/3C heading into opening night with Novak at wing and Sissons either at wing or 4C ... ROR at the other middle six center spot. Maybe he's at wing. As I said, we'll get a clue in a few weeks.

Declaring either center or AHL is premature.
I didn't declare shit. I'm stating my opinion on player development. You know, having a discussion on a discussion board.

Again, just so we're clear. I think it's a bad development path to force kids to wing when you're hoping they'll develop into an NHL center. I also don't give a shit "where he does most good for the team" this year if that means forcing him to wing.

Reactions: hockey diva

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I didn't declare shit. I'm stating my opinion on player development. You know, having a discussion on a discussion board.

Again, just so we're clear. I think it's a bad development path to force kids to wing when you're hoping they'll develop into an NHL center. I also don't give a shit "where he does most good for the team" this year if that means forcing him to wing.
Then where was the courage of your convictions last season when he was playing wing? As for declaring, you did clearly state if he isn't playing center in the NHL he should be sent down to the AHL.

If the goal is for him to be a 1C or 2C, he might be waiting in the AHL for years with Glass, ROR, Novak, Sissons up the middle for now ... with three of them likely filling the top three center slots, and questions remaining about where Novak lines up. The reality is neither you nor I know if the team sees Parssinen as that 1/2C moving forward or if they see him as a better fit on the wing. We probably get a view of what Bruno envisions heading into the season around the 1st of October with the last couple of pre-season games ... and with that where Novak and Parssinen fit in the plan.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I guess my question is... is it better for him to play against better competition as a wing in the nhl or lesser competition as a center in the AHL? I honestly dont know the answer but i get the sentiment that he needs to get time at center if he is going to improve there. At the same time, what does that due to our other ahl centers svechkov/burke/etc.

I kindof like the idea of a Forsberg - Novak - Parssinen type line. Parssinen can tag in for faceoffs if Novak hasnt improved from last season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well I'm not going to worry much more about the Parssinen-as-center question until I start to see Brunette's plan unfold on the ice. Getting too worked up about it based on some silly internet lineups posted by people who don't know anything about the team doesn't really make sense to me. If the Preds themselves see some reason not to use Parssinen at center, ok, then I'll start to ask questions... because my eyeballs said he was totally fine at center.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Parsinnen is a player. An NHL player. All the Preds have to do is help him with his basics. A little better D, faceoff control, consistency, etc.
But for heaven’s sake, don’t mess him up. Preds can pound so hard on the shortcomings sometimes that they mess up the obvious skills.
Play the kids we say; well, kids learn while making some mistakes. But it’s time to accept that and watch some new players.
Parsinnen is one of those new guys that I got excited about his first NHL games. He belongs here, not in the AHL. He’ll make some of the afore mentioned mistakes but, boy, what an upside. Tomorrow it starts and I’m ready.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
My understanding was Trotz thought highly of Parssinen and as a center. Don’t remember where I saw it but I’m not too concerned where he ends up.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Forsberg had his best stretch of hockey last year when he was playing with Parsinnen as his Center. Take that for whatever you want to, just throwing it out there.

But did he though? Forsberg put up 3g, 4a in the five games prior to Parssinen's callup ... 2g, 3a in the first five games where Parssinen was centering Forsberg. They didn't factor into any each other's goals from 21 Nov (Parssinen's 5th game) - 30 Dec.

7 points in 5 games is greater than 5 points in 5 games.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
But did he though? Forsberg put up 3g, 4a in the five games prior to Parssinen's callup ... 2g, 3a in the first five games where Parssinen was centering Forsberg. They didn't factor into any each other's goals from 21 Nov (Parssinen's 5th game) - 30 Dec.

7 points in 5 games is greater than 5 points in 5 games.
I remember that stretch where Parssinen and Forsberg were clicking, and for some reason the coach split them up and it was never the same after.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Parsinnen is a player. An NHL player. All the Preds have to do is help him with his basics. A little better D, faceoff control, consistency, etc.
But for heaven’s sake, don’t mess him up. Preds can pound so hard on the shortcomings sometimes that they mess up the obvious skills.
Play the kids we say; well, kids learn while making some mistakes. But it’s time to accept that and watch some new players.
Parsinnen is one of those new guys that I got excited about his first NHL games. He belongs here, not in the AHL. He’ll make some of the afore mentioned mistakes but, boy, what an upside. Tomorrow it starts and I’m ready.
This is a key point. This year should be all about developing the team. It's the honeymoon phase for the new GM, new coach, and new leadership group. There is no need for panic behind the bench. Burn all the short hooks. Put together lines based on the strengths and weaknesses and how the players can best fit the new systems. Then give them soak time to gel, make mistakes, and learn. If they're not successful and get bogged down unable to make progress, at least you have the film, know what was tried, and know what to do. The only other risk is that the player develops and becomes a competent NHL player.

Reactions: hockey diva

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I remember that stretch where Parssinen and Forsberg were clicking, and for some reason the coach split them up and it was never the same after.
The reality is that Forsberg was hot forthe 8 games before Parssinen, then during Parssinen's first 4 games where Jusso had 5 points They continued to skate together as linemates for the next three games (Jusso's 5-7th NHL gams) before Parssinen and Duchene started skating together more frequently for about a week ... then a line blender in mid December before the Sissons-Parssinen-Forsberg line in late December/early January where they had some success again.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
No matter what happens, im excited for the fresh perspective that has been brought to the team from top down. GM, coach, vet core, etc.

Probably gonna be a rocky season with ups and downs (i expect more downs than ups personally). I hope the coach tries to give lines time to gel before turning the blender on.
Pretty exciting really.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
No matter what happens, im excited for the fresh perspective that has been brought to the team from top down. GM, coach, vet core, etc.

Probably gonna be a rocky season with ups and downs (i expect more downs than ups personally). I hope the coach tries to give lines time to gel before turning the blender on.
The blender approach of recent years was a classic example of diminishing returns. It too often seemed to be the only tool in the toolbox though.

I fully expect Brunette to make some adjustments as he sees the guys perform, but I also expect significantly more stability and, in particular, a willingness, confidence, and patience that it takes to put young players in the positions that maximize their ceilings. Which we also ironically saw in a few individual cases in recent years and more so when trades and injuries forced it.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Hopefully it will be as enjoyable to watch as the last half of the 22-23 season, win or lose
That's the thing, as long as Trotz and Brunette keep to what they were talking about in the summer, it almost doesn't matter if they win or lose. Up-tempo games with full opportunity given to the young players, and the new leadership more as supporting players than high-paid stars should be fun to watch regardless of wins and losses... and at the same time bode well for the future - just having hope and optimism is also fun.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Wasn't Glass pretty bad on the FO? Didn't he work w RyJo and get better as the season went. That is one aspect that the Preds could count on (RyJo). Hopefully one of the new guys can work with JP and help him get better since they are culture guys.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wasn't Glass pretty bad on the FO? Didn't he work w RyJo and get better as the season went. That is one aspect that the Preds could count on (RyJo). Hopefully one of the new guys can work with JP and help him get better since they are culture guys.
O'Reilly has been consistently good on faceoffs, so I imagine they will just continue to lean on him and Sissons for key draws, and the loss of Johansen won't be felt at all in that respect.

1694701240398.png

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
He was early on when he sat in the press box more than played. He and Parssinen are basically 50/50, which is neither good nor bad.

The centers from last year who were bad were Novak and Granlund.

Sissons (especially considering the volume), Jankowski, and Johansen were our best FO centers. Johansen is one of the best in the league, in fact. 6th best FO% in the NHL for players with 500+ appearances on the dot last year.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
That's the thing, as long as Trotz and Brunette keep to what they were talking about in the summer, it almost doesn't matter if they win or lose. Up-tempo games with full opportunity given to the young players, and the new leadership more as supporting players than high-paid stars should be fun to watch regardless of wins and losses... and at the same time bode well for the future - just having hope and optimism is also fun.
Yeah we had roughly the same point percentage before and after the trade deadline, but it was a lot more fun watching our young guys play than our vets even if the end result was mostly the same. I will be disappointed if we are a bottom barrel team but as long as we are in the playoff hunt through the trade deadline I'll be mostly happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad