Offseason 2023 II - The Trotz Era Begins

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We better not give out a stupid contract in UFA.
I think in our situation "stupidity" is tied mostly to "term". We can afford pretty much anything. And Trotz's philosophy seems to be steering in the direction of keeping term short, so that players stay hungry and don't get complacent.

Of course, the worst contracts on UFA Frenzy day are usually dumb money and dumb term. I don't expect any of those, whether from UFAs or trades.

But we might sign a "culture" player to a shorter term deal that still has some pretty high-looking $$$? I hope that's the case anyway.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Expensive buyout in the name of "giving our young players opportunities" then blocking their opportunities with a UFA would be stupid to me.
I don't see how it blocks anybody. We have 3 wide-open roster spots right now, 2F + 1D. It's not blocking anybody to put a UFA in those spots. We've already pushed all of our "ready" young players into the lineup. And STILL have those openings.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So, uh...is the top 5 any good in 2024?
Yes, but probably not as good as 2023? Mack Celebrini is going to Boston U next year as a 17-year old, and he's at least expected to be on Fantilli order, if not quite Bedard, he got 15 pts in 7 games at the WU18 for Canada, to lead the team as an underager at 16 (2 ahead of our Matthew Wood).

But he's kind of the only major "#1C" candidate so far? Eiserman and Demidov are wingers. Berkley Catton is another center, but I don't think he's seen on that "franchise" level yet.

So it's more like a "normal draft" next year? One good #1C at the top in Celebrini, then more like a mix of a couple wingers and a couple D (Kiviharju and Dickinson?) in the top-5?

But of course, there are always a few guys who shoot up the rankings as the new season progresses.
:dunno:

Honestly, I just don't think there's any magic bullet solution to going for the high draft pick. You not only have to suck, but then you need to win the Draft Lottery at 18% odds or less to get the 1 guy (Celebrini) who might actually make any difference.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
So, uh...is the top 5 any good in 2024?
I really think the plan is to roll with the kids this year to see who can and cant hang, plug any holes with short term UFAs who can be flipped at the deadline, and hope for a lottery win or trade to get in the top 3.

Now that I've said that watch Trotz swing a bunch of trades and sign UFAs out the wazoo next week

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I really think the plan is to roll with the kids this year to see who can and cant hang, plug any holes with short term UFAs who can be flipped at the deadline, and hope for a lottery win or trade to get in the top 3.

Now that I've said that watch Trotz swing a bunch of trades and sign UFAs out the wazoo next week
That's pretty discouraging. I'm not a big believer in throwing the kids out there for 82 games with not much to buoy them as optimal for their development. There were 4 winger slots up for grabs in the top 9 as it was with Forsberg and Duchene, and Sherwood could kicked down to the 4th if all of Tomasino, Evangelista, Kemell, Afanaseyev made a strong case. I expect us to now go and get a "veteran" winger tomorrow that is worse than Duchene to help be an insulating presence and also take away one of those precious roster slots.

Rebuilds f***ing suck and I didn't see Trotz as the type to be willing to ice an also-ran roster (barring other moves).

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

I feel like it's a great year to be able to sign some UFAs at some form of bargain... whether that's $$$ or term, or both. Nobody has Cap space (who is trying to win anyway), and there aren't any big star UFAs, but there are going to be lots and lots of lesser guys who might have trouble finding a decent contract and be left without a chair when the music ends tomorrow.

Plus players are probably going to be a little more open-minded about taking shorter term deals this year than ever before (even 1-year deals)... because the Cap is expected to go up enormously next season. Next year is their chance for a bigger payday.

Which to me is like the "Perfect Storm" for signing guys on 1-year deals who are going to be highly motivated to perform well in the coming season.

Reactions: PredsV82

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Yes, but probably not as good as 2023? Mack Celebrini is going to Boston U next year as a 17-year old, and he's at least expected to be on Fantilli order, if not quite Bedard, he got 15 pts in 7 games at the WU18 for Canada, to lead the team as an underager at 16 (2 ahead of our Matthew Wood).

But he's kind of the only major "#1C" candidate so far? Eiserman and Demidov are wingers. Berkley Catton is another center, but I don't think he's seen on that "franchise" level yet.

So it's more like a "normal draft" next year? One good #1C at the top in Celebrini, then more like a mix of a couple wingers and a couple D (Kiviharju and Dickinson?) in the top-5?

But of course, there are always a few guys who shoot up the rankings as the new season progresses.
:dunno:

Honestly, I just don't think there's any magic bullet solution to going for the high draft pick. You not only have to suck, but then you need to win the Draft Lottery at 18% odds or less to get the 1 guy (Celebrini) who might actually make any difference.
And even if all that breaks your way perfectly, the savior pick may flop. Or he may come along and be pretty good and Saros you right back to the middle of the pack. Or you might run out of cap space and try to trade for pieces to round things out.

But at least you get to market the savior. :thumbu:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I’ll be the first to say I have no idea what this will look like. We’ve iced way less talented teams, but this may be the least experienced team we’ve had.

Please keep all hands inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a complete stop.

How good is Svechkov? How good is Kemell? We are about to find out how good all the kids are

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
1688162281739.png

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
How good is Svechkov? How good is Kemell? We are about to find out how good all the kids are
And I still don't think it should be assumed you can just throw guys into the deep end in the NHL. Even if small sample early returns have looked hopeful? Didn't Trotz also go on and on about "overcooking"? And how many 1st rounders will play in Milwaukee?

Naw, he's going to fill the holes with a few UFA guys. We are going to go "Culture Club" instead of "Country Club"!

Wait... loving would be easy if your colors were like my dreams? We dream big for these prospects, but I just don't think it's going to be Trotz's SOP to just throw guys into the deep end. He'll sign tide-me-over UFAs. If those guys bring grit and character, or could be flipped at the TDL a la Niederreiter, that's ultimately the better Long Game.

• Haha
Reactions: PredsV82

Edgework

Jun 22, 2023
For sure the most competitive camp we’ve had. Outside of Forsberg, Sissons and Trenin, is anyone guaranteed a slot up front?
no guarantees but surely they don’t send Joey packing unless they’re pretty sure they like glass, juuso, and Novak

Reactions: triggrman

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
no guarantees but surely they don’t send Joey packing unless they’re pretty sure they like glass, juuso, and Novak
I was getting a little bit scared that they didn't see the same things in Parssinen that I do. But now, I feel more vindicated.

I guess let's see what tomorrow brings, though? :dunno:

Edgework

Jun 22, 2023
I was getting a little bit scared that they didn't see the same things in Parssinen that I do. But now, I feel more vindicated.

I guess let's see what tomorrow brings, though? :dunno:
Ye gods I love parssinen. I am concerned that I’m losing my mind, because nobody else seems to see him that way.

I’m like the world’s only giggling slobbering parssinen fan

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad