*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Goaltending is whats going to make us miss the playoffs, Pavelka is pathetic I mean I called two goals in the first as you could clearly see him off his angles, the guy doesn't look interested any more, idk why but If he doesn't want to play here anymore send him home if he wants to, I've been one of his biggest supporters since he got traded here last year and he's excelled since being here but this past month there has not been one game where I've said he was a big reason for the two points and even against the Pete's I thought he played brutal... Can't win games if you have no confidence in your goalie to stop anything. Coaches should sit down with him and see where his head.

I would agree Pavelka has been awful of late,also did not think he was that sharp

at Peterborough

Tonite he was not good at all,neither goalie could come up with a big save when

needed

Earlier in the season goaltending was not a concern,both were playing well

considering the lack of offence,now there is offence but no goaltending

Last 4 games spits are 2-2,go 500 the rest of the way and u are out

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Season's over. We can't beat Ottawa, now down 7 points to Saginaw. Turn out the lights, the party's over.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Season's over. We can't beat Ottawa, now down 7 points to Saginaw. Turn out the lights, the party's over.

...I too can hear the Fat Lady warming up behind the curtain but...this is the OHL and if they beat Kingston that's 4 pts out of 6 on the road ...not too shabby. Still 16 or so games to go and maybe we can squeak in like last year BUT...if we do the reward will be the same as last year LONDON.

etr102

Mar 7, 2010
Windsor, ON
4 out of 6 points on the road may not be shabby, but it's not going to get you into the playoffs when Saginaw keeps getting just as many (if not more) points.

Next weekend will be judgement day. If we can beat Saginaw in both games, we stand a chance. If we split the home and home, (or worse, lose both), then we are done.

At least I'll save a bit of money by not having any playoff packages to buy.

big papa

Apr 21, 2012
The next 4 games are big for us Tommorow @Kingston, Friday vs Sarnia, Saturday @Saginaw, Monday vs Saginaw (Mickey Night) if we lose both games to Saginaw id say the year is over

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Hey guys. Knights fan here, following the race for the last playoff spot. Obviously cause I want to know who we'll play in the first round, but I think Windsor really needs this to stay in contention of a Memorial Cup bid.

After what's been happening in Saskatoon, I don't see the committee giving a non-playoff team the Cup. Sure, they'll be better next year, but it's still a risk. Actually, I feel almost certain that they won't give it to Windsor if they don't make the playoffs. That may have been a big part of the reason they didn't trade off KoKo and got Aleardi - they needed the playoffs.

That said, Windsor could turn this race around in a hurry if they take both of those upcoming games against Saginaw.

Last 15 games for you guys:

Plymouth X4
Saginaw X2
London X2
Erie X2
Niagara X1
SSM X1
Kingston X1
OS X1
Sarnia X1

And Saginaw's schedule:

Kitchener X3
Plymouth X3
London X2
Windsor X2
Sarnia X2
OS X1
Guelph X1
Oshawa X1

Both look pretty even, I'd say Saginaw has the slightly tougher final 15. Then again, they have been beating teams they have no business beating (5-3 over Barrie last night).

It'll all depend on the Sag-Wsr home and home.

Should be interesting going down the stretch.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I would agree Pavelka has been awful of late,also did not think he was that sharp

at Peterborough

Tonite he was not good at all,neither goalie could come up with a big save when

needed

Earlier in the season goaltending was not a concern,both were playing well

considering the lack of offence,now there is offence but no goaltending

Last 4 games spits are 2-2,go 500 the rest of the way and u are out

I thought Pavelka was shaky against Peterborough as well, the goal by Ho-Sang 5 seconds later really killed the Petes and set things in a downward spiral. Split with Saginaw next week and they are looking pretty. Windsor will probably have to win 3 of 4 against Plymouth in order to make the playoffs. There are a lot of things to work on whether it's giving up goals in the first minute of a period or last minute of a period or avoid getting ambushed eg. 3 goals by Ottawa in 2 minutes, same thing happened earlier against Owen Sound this year. Not sure if the preparation is there on the players or being focused but something needs to be addressed. Said it before but one guy who needs to really adjust his game or buy in is Trevor Murphy -17 in 27 games now, has good offensive skill but is really lost defensively.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Good post agree with everything said,aside from questionable goaltending defense appears worn out,ebert and murphy are not shutdown guys but because of the injuries are forced to play that way
I thought Pavelka was shaky against Peterborough as well, the goal by Ho-Sang 5 seconds later really killed the Petes and set things in a downward spiral. Split with Saginaw next week and they are looking pretty. Windsor will probably have to win 3 of 4 against Plymouth in order to make the playoffs. There are a lot of things to work on whether it's giving up goals in the first minute of a period or last minute of a period or avoid getting ambushed eg. 3 goals by Ottawa in 2 minutes, same thing happened earlier against Owen Sound this year. Not sure if the preparation is there on the players or being focused but something needs to be addressed. Said it before but one guy who needs to really adjust his game or buy in is Trevor Murphy -17 in 27 games now, has good offensive skill but is really lost defensively.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
Saginaw doesn't lose any more, don't get your hopes up that the Spits are going to take both games. I don't think the Spits will get in now unfortunately, more to do with what the Spirit did, not what the Spits didn't. And I'm not sure what more could have gone wrong and not worked out in Windsor this season.

Why do the forwards get a free pass on being non existent in the defensive end. When they do get back long after the original rush because no one back checks they are out of position and completely ineffective along the wall, covering the points or just chipping pucks out. You can't ask defencemen to make 100 ft passes under pressure and out numbered. Giftopoulos is the only player they have worth a salt who is responsible in all area's of the ice.

Easy to blame the D and goaltending which Pav is totally lost he isn't challenging and is too deep in his net for starters. But now with the forwards all just playing the 50 ft of ice that Kirby does it just doesn't work. Coaches never held anyone accountable for taking short cuts, actually it was rewarded now it's an epidemic among the forwards.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Saginaw doesn't lose any more, don't get your hopes up that the Spits are going to take both games. I don't think the Spits will get in now unfortunately, more to do with what the Spirit did, not what the Spits didn't. And I'm not sure what more could have gone wrong and not worked out in Windsor this season.

Why do the forwards get a free pass on being non existent in the defensive end. When they do get back long after the original rush because no one back checks they are out of position and completely ineffective along the wall, covering the points or just chipping pucks out. You can't ask defencemen to make 100 ft passes under pressure and out numbered. Giftopoulos is the only player they have worth a salt who is responsible in all area's of the ice.

Easy to blame the D and goaltending which Pav is totally lost he isn't challenging and is too deep in his net for starters. But now with the forwards all just playing the 50 ft of ice that Kirby does it just doesn't work. Coaches never held anyone accountable for taking short cuts, actually it was rewarded now it's an epidemic among the forwards.

The forwards backchecking has been absolutely horrendous I don't think anybody here would tell you otherwise. I agree coaches haven't held players accountable and that contributed to things getting out of hand.

Defense has been an issue for the past couple of years now so that is a big concern moving forward. In regards to goaltending I hope the talk of Pavelka as an OA is put to rest. Windsor will have possibly 2 top 20 import picks or in that area and they need to get 2 top forwards asap. Nobody will say injuries haven't played a role hurting depth but even when Khokhlachev and Aleardi were going the 2nd line of Vail-Johnson-Ho-Sang hasn't been that productive. You have 2 18 year olds and a top 5 pick on your 2nd line and there isn't any chemistry and productivity.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The forwards backchecking has been absolutely horrendous I don't think anybody here would tell you otherwise. I agree coaches haven't held players accountable and that contributed to things getting out of hand.

Defense has been an issue for the past couple of years now so that is a big concern moving forward. In regards to goaltending I hope the talk of Pavelka as an OA is put to rest. Windsor will have possibly 2 top 20 import picks or in that area and they need to get 2 top forwards asap. Nobody will say injuries haven't played a role hurting depth but even when Khokhlachev and Aleardi were going the 2nd line of Vail-Johnson-Ho-Sang hasn't been that productive. You have 2 18 year olds and a top 5 pick on your 2nd line and there isn't any chemistry and productivity.

Depth tested further today as Aleardi is out with upper body injury,held out for
precautionary reasons
Brown and Verbeek enter the lineup,Spits dressing 7 D and 9 forwards,Pavelka gets
the call in goal
As for scoring 2nd line HoSang and Johnson have 5 pts each in their last 4 games,Vail
only 2 both goals
Goiftopoulous has 5 pts in his 4 games and 10 in his last 10 nice addition
Clark has done zilch

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Depth tested further today as Aleardi is out with upper body injury,held out for
precautionary reasons
Brown and Verbeek enter the lineup,Spits dressing 7 D and 9 forwards,Pavelka gets
the call in goal
As for scoring 2nd line HoSang and Johnson have 5 pts each in their last 4 games,Vail
only 2 both goals
Goiftopoulous has 5 pts in his 4 games and 10 in his last 10 nice addition
Clark has done zilch

Said it before and I am a broken record but this organization has zero faith in DeKort. I didn't think DeKort was that bad last night, coming into a game when it's 3-0 5 mins in isn't easy for any goalie. Pavelka will have started all 3 games on this eastern swing, he has been pulled in 4 of his last 6. Did the Spits really think DeKort was poor on Sunday against Guelph? This would have been DeKort's first shot at playing in essence back to back games in the OHL. If the Spits season is all but over after next week DeKort should get every start the rest of the way.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Said it before and I am a broken record but this organization has zero faith in DeKort. I didn't think DeKort was that bad last night, coming into a game when it's 3-0 5 mins in isn't easy for any goalie. Pavelka will have started all 3 games on this eastern swing, he has been pulled in 4 of his last 6. Did the Spits really think DeKort was poor on Sunday against Guelph? This would have been DeKort's first shot at playing in essence back to back games in the OHL. If the Spits season is all but over after next week DeKort should get every start the rest of the way.

I would have started DeKort as well today,Pavelka has been awful lately

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
1-1 end of second. Kerby and Koko continuing their hot streak, gets a goal and Koko the assist.

Need a huge 3rd.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
And just in case anyone has forgotten, everyone seems to think if we don't host we can't content. Yeah, the team gets a bye to the tournament, whether they win or not ( as Shawinigan lost but won the Memorial Cup)

All we have to do if we don't host is hope London or any West team gets it, because even if we get in the finals and lose we still get to go in. If not, then we need to get in the finals and win.

We need a huge aquisition this summer to replace Aleardi and Koko. Maybe get a steal trade and get Shmaltz, Butcher, Allen...

Who should we target this summer?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Just got back into town...

Heard part of the Ottawa game; our defence must have forgotten when the game was. I turned the radio on at 740, it was 2-0 (Ottawa just scored). Then, as they announce that goal, it's 3-0. Turned radio off, had to eat dinner. Come back and it's 4-2 Ottawa. Okay, manageable. Come back later and it's 7-5? I don't even want to know.

One thing I don't get, and this is a personal preference thing, is why does Miller call the fights so generic? For instance, the Percy fight in Ottawa:

(paraphrased)

There'll be a stoppage in play here. We want to tell you about (insert sponsor here) and that during this stoppage in play, Percy and Van Stralen have decided to drop the mitts. Percy...and Van Stralen. Percy, just called up from LaSalle, is a 19-year old kid who hasn't had much time in the OHL so far. Van Stralen is a veteran of the 67s. Percy......and Van...Stralen. They're going at it on the ice. They'll each get 5 for fighting....Percy...and....Van....Stralen.

WHAT HAPPENED?

It's almost as if he's told not to describe the fight. I miss Beller calls :(

Caught the first period against Kingston on the radio. Missed the entire second period.

The Bowen/Hutchinson fight - it's a clear rule, you cannot fight at the start of the period. Not surprised they were tossed. Wait a shift, come out, then do your thing. It's not difficult.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
3-1 Kingston, more than half of the 3rd done. We are cooked.

Hate to say this, but now I will fianlly admit I don't think this year we are gonna get London. I mean, if you do worst than .500 in a weekend you SHOULD be 1.00 then the playoffs are not for you. Espeically in the situation the Spits are in.

BTW, I am REALLY missing Eric Locke. Top 5 in scoring. What did Taylor Carnevale do for us again? Oh, wait... he quit the Sting and went to the "Q".

bcspirit

Jan 10, 2013
North America
BTW, I am REALLY missing Eric Locke. Top 5 in scoring. What did Taylor Carnevale do for us again? Oh, wait... he quit the Sting and went to the "Q".

You can't have him back we like him just fine here in a Spirit uni and thanks to Carnevale for being to good to come to Saginaw that allowed Locke to be available for Saginaw to pu in a trade with Barrie.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Let's be fair about Locke/Carnevale - that situation didn't hurt us. Sometimes you have to go after the proven scorer in exchange for a high-ceiling prospect if you want to make noise. It was the two penalties late in a game in OS that cost us.

Watching the third period right now, one thing is obvious: our forwards have zero jump in their game. None. A two-man PP with four-min to go and they do the same play over-and-over-and-over-and-over again. Ebert to Rychel for the one-timer on the point. You're not going to win if you're...a) putting it over the net...or b) putting it in the chest protector. There wasn't even a consideration of "let's try something else." If you scout us, we're easy to stop.

All we can do now is regroup and hope for a sweep against Saginaw next weekend. It's doable.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
7 points back and Saginaw has a game in hand now. Barring a major miracle the season is all but done. Find out in May what happens if they don't get the Memorial Cup all out rebuild needs to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad