Official Training Camp Thread - Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm glad the lines were given a shakeup.

I also hope Babcock realizes that Komorov and Winnik are better than a lot of the washed up scrubs we picked up. Matthias is really the only new guy I've been happy with.

That especially and yes Komarov and Winnik actually play hockey like they care about the result of the game.

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
I think you will see Leafs drop Lupul and Robidas to minors to start year to send a message. They are stuck with Dion he is not getting traded. You are right though he needs to play with a strong defensive defenceman who can skate to get to pucks that Dion can't get to anymore.

It would definitely be well-deserved, Bozak should be added to the list as well. After the effort last game it is very clear that the problem players still don't get it. They are what they are, it is not worth the time to raise their trade value.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I am going to be a rebel.

I would argue that Lupul does have value. He is just too glassy. so if he can stay healthy up to deadline, I bet you dollars to doughnuts, he's out of here. (especially because the next two years will be dirt cheap for him too).

and if I had to choose between Bozak (who is literally playing like he's looking for Phil to appear), and Lupul (I hurt myself while putting my uniform on), I'd choose Lupul. (because even if you get 50g - if he's on LITR, you save money).

Lupul has 2 more years at $5.25 mil cap after this year.

Uncertain cap and with Lupul injury history, that will be a hard sell Daisy even with a good year unless we are taking some bad contract(s) back to offset it. IMO

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Lupul has 2 more years at $5.25 mil cap after this year.

Uncertain cap and with Lupul injury history, that will be a hard sell Daisy even with a good year unless we are taking some bad contract(s) back to offset it. IMO

that's the cap hit
actually cash dollars is less. (it was on Leafs Lunch yesterday).

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
that's the cap hit

Even if it means us taking back a contract that is worse in terms of dollars but has less term, I am fine with it. Anything that gets rid of Bozak and Lupul sooner.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Id rather Carrick centre the 4th line instead of Arcobello. Seriously, why sign a scrub when we have a kid who can play that role?

I would totally keep Carrick around over Arco. He's home grown and will work his butt off for us. He also fits a 4th line centre roll better then Arco imo.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Out of all the guys we signed in the offseason the only one that I was slightly impressed with was Matthias.

Even Boyes hasn't done much to impress me. Arcobello shouldn't be on the team. Also not sure why we traded for Grabner.

Too many guys taking away unnecessary spots from deserving players.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Out of all the guys we signed in the offseason the only one that I was slightly impressed with was Matthias.

Even Boyes hasn't done much to impress me. Arcobello shouldn't be on the team. Also not sure why we traded for Grabner.

Spots arent given to people who deserve them, they are given to people who take them. Flawed logic is flawed.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Spots arent given to people who deserve them, they are given to people who take them. Flawed logic is flawed.
Well the first part of that sentence was accurate if nothing else. Spots are not given to those who deserve them.

The only way to take a roster spot is for one of the players to pull a knife on Babcock and make him put him on the roster. There is no way to actually 'take' a roster spot. You have to be given it by the coaching staff.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

To open up contract spots

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So Babcock's "best players" not making the team...confirmed?

I'm extremely interested in seeing Leafs plan on how they plan to integrate youth into the lineup.

If Nylander and Brown do get sent down, then what happens next year after they start this year with none, then is inuries and the TD injection point?.

I have a hard time seeing the Leafs go from Zero rookies to next year be breaking in Nylander, Brown, Kapanen, Marner up front and Percy, Harrington, Loov and Granberg on D?

That doesn't even include players like Carrick, Leivo, etc that might become depth players.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
The full year is a stopgap as far as I'm concerned. Pretty sure we're going to try to play .500 and end up partially tanking

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
that's the cap hit

That is true Daisy, as its $6.75 mil this year, $5.25 mil in year 2 and then $3.75 mil year 3 in actual salary.

However that is both good and bad depending on the team looking to acquire him.

If you are a cup contender and a rich team playing close to the cap ceiling then you have to fit the $5.25 mil cap hit in not the $3.75 mil actually salary.

Having a bigger cap >> salary is bad for teams looking to acquire Lupul to help to put you over the top. If you are a weak team and non playoff team then why do you have interest in an injury prone player unless its to get to the cap floor where salary << cap and the Cap hit helps you. But with 100's of players for free or PTO players you can sign anyone you want and don't need to acquire a big contract.

So the market is going to be so small where it would fit, add in Lupul has a modified NTC that only allows him to go to 12 teams he approves then 2/3rds of the league might be out as his no trade would prevent him from going to teams he doesn't want to.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
I'm extremely interested in seeing Leafs plan on how they plan to integrate youth into the lineup.

If Nylander and Brown do get sent down, then what happens next year after they start this year with none, then is inuries and the TD injection point?.

I have a hard time seeing the Leafs go from Zero rookies to next year be breaking in Nylander, Brown, Kapanen, Marner up front and Percy, Harrington, Loov and Granberg on D?

That doesn't even include players like Carrick, Leivo, etc that might become depth players.

This.

I bet near the deadline, prospects who've been on the Marlies for a while, such as Percy, Leivo will come up for the last 15-20 games, acclimate themselves. Next season, we need less PTOs-> rinse and repeat at next deadline.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Lupul's value will largely depend on this upcoming season. His salary goes down below his cap hit for the last 2 years of his contract.

If he can replicate the numbers he put up pre 2014-2015 (a year where pretty much everyone struggled and had bad seasons) and at least be somewhat healthy (~70 games played), I think there are a few teams that might want him.

Last edited:

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Well the first part of that sentence was accurate if nothing else. Spots are not given to those who deserve them.

The only way to take a roster spot is for one of the players to pull a knife on Babcock and make him put him on the roster. There is no way to actually 'take' a roster spot. You have to be given it by the coaching staff.

Yes, the sense of entitlement around here is disgusting. Let them develop properly, no need to rush. Babs wants them to bring it like that first and third game every single night, and imo they are a bit away from being able to do that. Let them take some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad