Official Training Camp Thread - Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
The leafs are having their training camp in Halifax this year and I was wondering if anyone has attended these camps before? Just curious of which players show up to these. Is it all players or just young guys? Is it just high pace practices or do they scrimmage? I would like to check them out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's all players on the training camp rosters.

First day is weigh ins and physicals

Second and third days are the on ice. Likely some scrimmaging.

The 21st is a travel day, with cuts most likely. Leafs have split squads games against the Sens, like last pre-season that night

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Seems like something more for children to watch how the pros practice and prepare then much of a chance to evaluate as a fan, especially that early. Disappointed that there is no pre-season game involved as I'd be all over that but this is at a small location with limited seating.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Seems like something more for children to watch how the pros practice and prepare then much of a chance to evaluate as a fan, especially that early. Disappointed that there is no pre-season game involved as I'd be all over that but this is at a small location with limited seating.

Not that I disagree but training camp is usually a hot spot for fans. I remember hearing about the crowds that would cram into the mastercard center bleachers. Shanny and Babcock have clearly been wanting to dim the spotlight on some of our players. This is probably the first step of that philosophy. I just hope people don't all of a sudden take up arms against them because they don't get to hear interviews 10 times a week.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Not that I disagree but training camp is usually a hot spot for fans. I remember hearing about the crowds that would cram into the mastercard center bleachers. Shanny and Babcock have clearly been wanting to dim the spotlight on some of our players. This is probably the first step of that philosophy. I just hope people don't all of a sudden take up arms against them because they don't get to hear interviews 10 times a week.

I'm aware it's a hot spot for fans, that's what drove my post.

The Maritimes are polluted with Leaf fans who would be willing to go out of their way to get a sniff of Leafs training camp.

What i'm saying is that this is really not geared toward us hardcore fans. It will be more for the minor hockey players who will probably get priority over the adults when it comes to letting people into the small arena where this is happening.

It's not like they're practicing in the Scotiabank Center with 10,000 seats. I think where they're practicing is lucky to hold 500 people. If you live in that community it's one thing, but to go out of your way for it could be a huge waste of time.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

The Maritimes are polluted with Leaf fans who would be willing to go out of their way to get a sniff of Leafs training camp.

What i'm saying is that this is really not geared toward us hardcore fans. It will be more for the minor hockey players who will probably get priority over the adults when it comes to letting people into the small arena where this is happening.

It's not like they're practicing in the Scotiabank Center with 10,000 seats. I think where they're practicing is lucky to hold 500 people. If you live in that community it's one thing, but to go out of your way for it could be a huge waste of time.

You're right, the BMO center has 4 ice surfaces and only one of them has seating, which is only on one side and probably would hold about 500 unless they let people stand around the boards down below. I was just curious if guys like Nylander and Marner will be here or even guys like Bozak and JVR.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
It's all players on the training camp rosters.

First day is weigh ins and physicals

Second and third days are the on ice. Likely some scrimmaging.

The 21st is a travel day, with cuts most likely. Leafs have split squads games against the Sens, like last pre-season that night

I cannot seem to find the training camp roster either. I thought I saw a thread for it before but can't seem to find it. Can someone post the training camp roster of they have it?

CBinTokyo

Jan 15, 2013
Tokyo

Your negativity is quite funny, I hope you can keep it up all season!

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Your negativity is quite funny, I hope you can keep it up all season!

Often being realistic gets called negative around here.

Whatever floats your boat I guess. How does 1 post do anything about my 'tone' for an entire season?

Would you travel a few hundred KM to try and watch the Leafs training camp in a 500 seat arena? Making sure people understand the location/arena this is happening in may actually save some people a lot of time and money.

I've actually researched this seeing as I am interested in it and live 4 hours away. My final conclusion is it's not worth it seeing as children and minor hockey associations would and should benefit from it a lot more then 30yr old hardcore Leaf fans.

Would you call my outlook on it wrong or just negative?

Calling someone else negative in a discussion you have not been involved in while adding nothing to that conversation in the process does have a certain sort of irony to it though.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Often being realistic gets called negative around here.

Whatever floats your boat I guess. How does 1 post do anything about my 'tone' for an entire season?

Would you travel a few hundred KM to try and watch the Leafs training camp in a 500 seat arena? Making sure people understand the location/arena this is happening in may actually save some people a lot of time and money.

I've actually researched this seeing as I am interested in it and live 4 hours away. My final conclusion is it's not worth it seeing as children and minor hockey associations would and should benefit from it a lot more then 30yr old hardcore Leaf fans.

Would you call my outlook on it wrong or just negative?

Calling someone else negative in a discussion you have not been involved in while adding nothing to that conversation in the process does have a certain sort of irony to it though.

Didn't think you were being overly critical and I'm the one you responded to. It is what it is. It's not in a central hub with millions of people surrounding it. Alot of people in toronto could just take a 30min trip to get to the MCC from their homes. If you're going further than that to go see prospects run some scrimmages, all the power to ya. But it's likely not for everyone.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Didn't think you were being overly critical and I'm the one you responded to. It is what it is. It's not in a central hub with millions of people surrounding it. Alot of people in toronto could just take a 30min trip to get to the MCC from their homes. If you're going further than that to go see prospects run some scrimmages, all the power to ya. But it's likely not for everyone.

Yeah I wasn't trying to come off as rude/cynical. I was just legitimately trying to let people know what it was all about because I know of lots of people who have looked into it and that's just from people in Cape Breton i've spoken with. I can imagine the closer you get to Halifax the more people are thinking about going out.

Better to be informed by someone who is 'negative' then to have a 'positive' person lead you down a path that doesn't lead anywhere in my opinion ;)

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Yeah I wasn't trying to come off as rude/cynical. I was just legitimately trying to let people know what it was all about because I know of lots of people who have looked into it and that's just from people in Cape Breton i've spoken with. I can imagine the closer you get to Halifax the more people are thinking about going out.

Better to be informed by someone who is 'negative' then to have a 'positive' person lead you down a path that doesn't lead anywhere in my opinion ;)

Makes sense. I am 10 mins from BMO so I was just curious who was going to be there and what they will be doing. I certainly wouldn't consider driving to CB to watch it if it was there. I get your point, the other guy was just being an idiot.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Doubt I'll be going to any of the practices, but I found out a while back that the team will be staying at the hotel where I work. We've had different sports teams here in the past and you'd be surprised at what you can overhear, as well at the stuff that often gets left behind in meeting rooms. I've found everything from roster lineups to coach's notes on different players. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes and ears open while the team is here.

I was kinda hoping Kessel would still be with the team when they got here though. I was really curious to see what he ate for breakfast.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Since I am working on the 18th and 19th, I'll be there on the 20th. I am going to pay close attention to the kids (Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, etc). I'll give you guys my thoughts on who stood out, etc.

Cavo

Apr 25, 2006
Halifax, NS

You're right. I live 5 minutes from the BMO in Hammonds Plains and that's all every parent in the neighborhood is talking about, bringing their minor hockey league age kids. But from what i've been told it's a first come first served thing.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Surprised they are leaving it open to the public, I know it's closed typically.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
They aren't going all the way to Halifax just to have it closed up to the public...

Yeah I know, just crazy they couldn't have left it open in Toronto, unless they think they would be stampeded by tons of fans, which is entirely possible.

Cavo

Apr 25, 2006
Halifax, NS
Yeah I know, just crazy they couldn't have left it open in Toronto, unless they think they would be stampeded by tons of fans, which is entirely possible.

The Saturday part of the camp is apparently outdoors. Not sure what the plan is as far as player activities for that day but it's sure to be a madhouse. Huge Leaf following here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad