Official Training Camp Thread - Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
If I could trade Kadri, JVR, Bozak, Lupul, Robidas and Phaneuf(retain 2.5 mil) for this package(via multiple trades) I would do it in a heartbeat:

2016 1st Rd pick x2(Would be late 1sts)
2017 1st Rd pick x2(Also late 1sts)
2016 2nd Rd pick x2
2016 3rd Rd pick x2

I think Kadri and JVR are both worth a pair of late 1st round picks to the right team.

Get rid of them all and let Hunter build this team from the ground up with Rielly, Marner, Brown etc. a solid foundation to build on.

Anyone disagree?

I disagree. Don't sell low on Bozak, Lupul, and Robidas. If we just hang on to them for a couple more years, we can get more picks for them at the TDL or sometime before then. A 2nd for Bozak and Lupul isn't ridiculous.

The price for JVR should be a couple late firsts. The price for Kadri should be at least a couple late firsts. Dion at $4.5M is a really good deal too, and if we're going to retain $2.5M for six more years, something really good has to come back. If between all those pieces, we're not getting any single asset better than a late first, it's not worth it. Quantity can't make up for quality.

In a realistic but optimistic scenario, that package you listed will be three busts busts, two fringe NHL players, two middle six players and one top line player. They likely won't be as good as Kadri, JVR, and Phaneuf, not to mention that it will be five to seven years before they're competitive.

I'm all for trading those assets (minus Kadri - he's younger and cost controlled for longer), but not for the return you listed.

4 First round picks
2 Second round picks
2 Third round picks

That's selling low? That's an unrealistically high selling price on those guys.

Bozak isn't worth a second. That's already a fact. No one bit on that price during the summer, no way he increases his value playing without Kessel.
Lupul is worth a bad contract an a 4th-7th round pick, no team is going to take Lupul as a trade deadline injury insurance player when Lupul could easily end up on the IR taking a fall during practice.
Robidas - same boat as Lupul. He's been injured a lot recently, and his age is working against him at this point.
A retaining any salary on Phaneuf puts the team in a bad spot for 6+ years with over 3 million in dead cap space. That's well beyond the time it'll take to rebuild this mess, and could be the difference between re-signing RFA and UFA players or having to let some UFAs walk when the time comes.
That leaves JVR and Kadri as the only real valuable pieces to deal.

There's no way they return 4 firsts and 2 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad