Official Training Camp Roster Talk - Part II (The Final Stretch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
just watched the media day clips of mccann, virt and hutton, with an ad in between of bo horvat on the cover of the pharmasave calendar.

man, i'm so pumped for this season! i went from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds flat.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
And here I was wondering if there was something Weisbrod had dun goofed before about a player coming over from Europe. The only I seem to remember - for good reason - is the O'Reilly offer sheet fiasco which is bad enough. :laugh:

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
I went from not caring about this season to being excited to see these kids play - finally some spark and creativity on this team! I personally don't expect both McCann and Virtanen to last past the 9 games, I'd be pleasantly surprised if both of them show they belong in real NHL games, but I'm not expecting it from both. Still, 9 games for a 19 year old is a great transitional season to full time next year. It will be very fun to watch 3-4 young skilled players all season long regardless of if one of them ends up being sent down.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I went from not caring about this season to being excited to see these kids play - finally some spark and creativity on this team! I personally don't expect both McCann and Virtanen to last past the 9 games, I'd be pleasantly surprised if both of them show they belong in real NHL games, but I'm not expecting it from both. Still, 9 games for a 19 year old is a great transitional season to full time next year. It will be very fun to watch 3-4 young skilled players all season long regardless of if one of them ends up being sent down.

I feel McCann will be sent down and virt will stay for the year eventually. Hutton... Who knows..

Then again no one expected either Hutton or McCann to look this good

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Yep, hell of a lot more fun that what Lindenning had planned for the year. Those two were completely out to lunch with what the fan base wanted to see. Maybe they finally got the message from the angry and disillusioned fans. Between the kids putting up their hands and angry and disillusioned fans lobbying for change the season might just be saved.

Hopefully it will put to rest the "fans won't support a young team" nonsense they were spouting a few months back.

Last edited:

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Yep, hell of a lot more fun that what Lindenning had planned for the year. Those two were completely out to lunch with what the fan base wanted to see. Maybe they finally got the message from the sheet and disillusioned fans. Between the kids putting up their hands and angry and disillusioned fans lobbying for change the season might just be saved.

Hopefully it will put to rest the "fans won't support a young team" nonsense they were spouting a few months back.

Never said anything like that. Said the fans wouldn't support a complete tear down tank. You know, ditching the Sedins etc and rolling our AHL team out there every night. And they're right, look how much trouble this board is having during the early stages of the current retool.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I feel McCann will be sent down and virt will stay for the year eventually. Hutton... Who knows..

Then again no one expected either Hutton or McCann to look this good

im not surprised for hutton and i assume win tha game isn't for mccann

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Never said anything like that. Said the fans wouldn't support a complete tear down tank. You know, ditching the Sedins etc and rolling our AHL team out there every night. And they're right, look how much trouble this board is having during the early stages of the current retool.

Do you always just post disingenuous things? People questioned the terrible decision making, not the direction. A retool would mean doing essentially what Calgary has done, not trading away draft picks at every turn and signing hemorrhaging boat anchor contracts.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

I think the problem has more to do with "tearing it down" only to bring in older or limited guys like Miller, Prust, Sutter, Sbisa, and Dorsett while moving out picks and prospects to do it.

It's 50% retool and 50% ... something else. If it was a clear retool with younger, cheaper players and an accumulation of draft picks I'm confident the response would be very different.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I think the problem has more to do with "tearing it down" only to bring in older or limited guys like Miller, Prust, Sutter, Sbisa, and Dorsett while moving out picks and prospects to do it.

It's 50% retool and 50% ... something else. If it was a clear retool with younger, cheaper players and an accumulation of draft picks I'm confident the response would be very different.

Different on these boards, maybe. But we're talking about the general fanbase as a whole. Vancouver fans have traditionally shown to be pretty fair weathered. Again, the fan base as a whole, not the few percent that frequent message boards.

Regardless, I responded to a poster saying Linden said the fans wouldn't support a young team when he actually a said wouldn't support a rebuild. Different things, and I believe Linden is correct.

Not to mention one specific super fan who also signs Trevs paycheque.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Different on these boards, maybe. But we're talking about the general fanbase as a whole. Vancouver fans have traditionally shown to be pretty fair weathered. Again, the fan base as a whole, not the few percent that frequent message boards.

Regardless, I responded to a poster saying Linden said the fans wouldn't support a young team when he actually a said wouldn't support a rebuild. Different things, and I believe Linden is correct.

Fans aren't stupid, they won't support junk, when the fans left in the 90s it was because the team was junk. The kind of junk which is exactly what Benning and Linden wanted to serve up this year. Sutter at 2C, Prust-Vey-Dorsett, 3 top 5 dmen, Miller redux. Blah.

The injection of youth has completely transformed the team, that injection came against the expectations and plans of Lindenning. Winning our lose the team which be much better to watch just for the growth of the kids alone.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Fair, I didn't catch that part of the discussion. As for what fans will or won't support, it all depends on how it's handled. Calgary probably struggled to sell tickets more over its last few years of Iginla-led mediocrity than it did during the two brief years of its rebuild and now they have an exciting, young team that fans have embraced with a large portion acquired in the 2012-2014 tear down.

Sometimes you gotta ignore the polls and focus on a solid, coherent vision. Making the first round playoffs may be a modest success in terms of not losing too much money, but going 2-3 rounds and having a buzz around your team will make 10x that.

Take some risks or risk boring your fanbase into apathy.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
As others have said, I'm actually excited to see this team play now. THIS is how you put fans in the seats when the core is getting old, bland, boring...bad.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Fans aren't stupid, they won't support junk, when the fans left in the 90s it was because the team was junk. The kind of junk which is exactly what Benning and Linden wanted to serve up this year. Sutter at 2C, Prust-Vey-Dorsett, 3 top 5 dmen, Miller redux. Blah.

The injection of youth has completely transformed the team, that injection came against the expectations and plans of Lindenning. Winning our lose the team which be much better to watch just for the growth of the kids alone.

On the one hand Lindenning gets criticized for "penciling in" a 19 year old, on the other everything is just a happy accident that they never saw coming. Can't please everyone I guess.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
ill give one thing to jim benning - if there's any gm that's capable of sussing out whether or not corrado is likely to be claimed, its him. between his Good Guy Demeanor and his likely ridiculous work ethic im guessing he's got a handle on most of the teams he would be concerned about and judged them unlikely to claim corrado

gotta just hope for the best i guess

of course he'd know. he spent the last four days filling in his nhl wall roster.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Curtis glencross is a player I would sign on a 1 year 1 way 650k contract. Good insurance option for injuries, and if the kids are overwhelmed.

Apparently great leadership guy also.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
well, that was a predictable outcome to corrado being waived. im sure glad we have spots for the worst player in the nhl

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i would take john scott over luca sbisa so ****ing fast. defence, forward, ****, make him an assistant coach, i dont care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille