Official Trade Speculation/Proposal/Waivers Thread V

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
This is an epic fail, now Snow has to do everything to avoid the lottery. Hope he doesn't do a Milbury and trade good prospects for mediocre players just to avoid the lottery. This Vanek scenario could end up being franchise altering, and not in a good way. My kingdom for competent management!

carparkno1

Oct 12, 2011
Halak to Washington, another boat we have missed as he will likely sign there.

Did anyone think it could go this badly wrong?

Quine Gon Jinn

Apr 12, 2011
Long Island
The way I see it the first Vanek trade was a high risk, high reward move. If the islanders would've continued they're play from last years playoff berth, Vanek would have been a significant upgrade from Moulson. But injuries happened and some poor coaching lead to pretty crappy year. Then with Tavares down all hope was lost. And in the end the trade was a fail, but imo the risk was worth the possibility of trying to build a better team, and who knows if they were winning maybe Vanek would have chosen to stay.
I'd rather fire Cappy than Snow

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
The way I see it the first Vanek trade was a high risk, high reward move. If the islanders would've continued they're play from last years playoff berth, Vanek would have been a significant upgrade from Moulson. But injuries happened and some poor coaching lead to pretty crappy year. Then with Tavares down all hope was lost. And in the end the trade was a fail, but imo the risk was worth the possibility of trying to build a better team, and who knows if they were winning maybe Vanek would have chosen to stay.
I'd rather fire Cappy than Snow

I don't blame Snow for trading for Vanek. I blame him for sitting on his ass while the team spiraled out of control in November. If he had done something to stabilize the goaltending or defense, things might be very different.

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
The anticipation is going to be a hell of a lot more
Enjoyable than reality once the deal goes down...trust me

...as Paul Simon once said...

"Everything Snow does looks worse in black and white"

...see?

... And there are reports from Collbergs agent that he's already turned down the Isles offer of seven years and $50 million offer to test UFA waters come 2017

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Canada hates the Isles...and they love Tavares...they going to send troops to long island to take Tavares back..

Im so tired of the disrespect that this team gets

I almost got in trouble during class when reading this post. Had to contain my laughter.

And now cuz of this disaster of a trade I'm completely unprepared for my test next week because I was too busy refreshing this board and TSN

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Risk on upgrading Moulson was worth it, I question the contract offer. With how crappy the team was, needed to blow him away with a great, not competitive, offer. They didn't. And now in a good deep draft Snow has essentially traded that pick for Collberg. Unacceptable all around. Again,does anyone have faith he won't do something really stupid now to avoid looking like a total ass and make desperate moves to stay out if the lottery?

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
By my count, 11 goalies moved (1 twice) and the Islanders couldn't find their way into any of those deals to bolster the position they need to address most.

Disappointing return for AMac and downright embarrassing return for TV. This ship is taking on water and listing.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
By my count, 11 goalies moved (1 twice) and the Islanders couldn't find their way into any of those deals to bolster the position they need to address most.

Disappointing return for AMac and downright embarrassing return for TV. This ship is taking on water and listing.

Getting a conditional 2nd round pick and Collberg (who I do like as a prospect) just isn't good enough. Snow has basically traded a 1st round pick and Moulson for Collberg which is horrible.

We're going to have a huge problem getting a goalie in the summer. I fail to see where we could possible get a starting quality goaltender from. I can see Halak re-signing in Washington which basically means were looking at the likes of Emery in the summer........i want to throw up

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
Getting a conditional 2nd round pick and Collberg (who I do like as a prospect) just isn't good enough. Snow has basically traded a 1st round pick and Moulson for Collberg which is horrible.

Ugh, when you break it down like this it actually doesn't look as bad as it actually is. Isles weren't resigning Moulson, so you traded a player you had no intention of signing and a first for the opportunity to convince Vanek to sign here and Collberg, who was an early 2nd. It's still a steep price, especially for a gamble that didn't pay off.

That said, one has to think that if Snow didn't insist on trying to play other GMs against each other since before the Olympic break, that somewhere along the way something better had to have been on the table.

Instead, as fans we get the mirage-like glimpse of what our top line is capable of being before the vision fades and all we have left is sand. Miles and miles of sand.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Ugh, when you break it down like this it actually doesn't look as bad as it actually is. Isles weren't resigning Moulson, so you traded a player you had no intention of signing and a first for the opportunity to convince Vanek to sign here and Collberg, who was an early 2nd. It's still a steep price, especially for a gamble that didn't pay off.

That said, one has to think that if Snow didn't insist on trying to play other GMs against each other since before the Olympic break, that somewhere along the way something better had to have been on the table.

Instead, as fans we get the mirage-like glimpse of what our top line is capable of being before the vision fades and all we have left is sand. Miles and miles of sand.

I disagree greatly. No matter how you feel about Moulson, we essentially traded our 1st round pick for nothing, and that will be a good first round pick either this year or next year, because we won't be picking up any good free agents, and Garf won't trade our prospects for anyone substantial.

There is no way to spin this well, and Collberg is a middle of the road prospect. Just look at the kid's numbers - and for the record I am not a stat hound like some in here. He is very vanilla with some speed, but yet again, no size. He probably wouldn't even get a second round pick in return if Garth flipped him at the draft.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

We're going to have a huge problem getting a goalie in the summer. I fail to see where we could possible get a starting quality goaltender from. I can see Halak re-signing in Washington which basically means were looking at the likes of Emery in the summer........i want to throw up

Again just to clear up any confusion on the conditional pick.this is where Garth shines.
If vanek signs with Minnesota the NYI have to give the devils a 2nd round pick.
Don't ask. :help:us

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

Reality bites doesn't it

Seanpuff34

Mar 26, 2009
Brian Elliot

Since STL paid so much to get Miller it's safe to assume they will do whatever they can to resign him. But since they also have Jake Allen in the pipeline, elliot becomes the odd man out bc Allen will be a much cheaper backup.

Any Goalie is better then what we've iced this year so do you think he is a legit option for us in the offseason?

this of course assuming Miller, Hiller, nd halak resign

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Since STL paid so much to get Miller it's safe to assume they will do whatever they can to resign him. But since they also have Jake Allen in the pipeline, elliot becomes the odd man out bc Allen will be a much cheaper backup.

Any Goalie is better then what we've iced this year so do you think he is a legit option for us in the offseason?

this of course assuming Miller, Hiller, nd halak resign

Going to be Elliott or Emery, who Garth supposedly targeted last year. Maybe Greiss? The top guys, Hiller, Miller, Halak, will as usual have better options.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
The trade was fair IF you break it down and look at it closer.

We didn't get what "we" thought was fair because it wasn't.

WE gave up a lot more than usual for Vanek because Snow/Wang wanted Buffalo to take part of the slaray of Vanek. We are SO CHEAP that we trade to Montreal and we didn't want to pay Vanek's Salary. THIS IS WHY WE DIDN'T GET THE TRADE WE WANTED!

do people understand now why this is actually NOT a bad trade. It's pretty much equal.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
who is the most moveable prospect that has any value?

i would have to say that forwards nelson, strome, and lee are not available.

i would also have to say that defenceman reinhart is not available.

how many top prospects remain after these four? i would argue that only pokka and pulock would be considered top prospects at this point with guys like collberg, donovan, pelech, mayfield etc. as middle type guys.

according to the hockey news, pulock is ranked as the 60th best prospect in the nhl. that ranking has value. it would seem that, according to that ranking, pulock is the most tradeable prospect having solid value on the market at the current moment.

can the isles afford to move him? one would assume that given the emergence of the right handed shooting pokka in finland, that pulock could indeed by a guy the organization trades.

desperate needs for the organization? a true number one goalie, a true minute eating, steady shut down d (not a guy like yandle), and a proven top 6 forward.

thoughts for potential targets?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad