OT: Official Sports Media Thread VIII - Milbury out as NBC hockey analyst after 14 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Deadspin staffers quit en masse after interim editor fired by moron bosses.

Deadspin writers and editors Tom Ley, Kelsey McKinney, Albert Burneko, Patrick Redford, Lauren Thiesen, Chris Thompson, and Laura Wagner all resigned Wednesday in the wake of a series of missteps by private equity goons Jim Spanfeller and Paul Maidment. Editor Diana Moskovitz had privately put in notice weeks ago, and interim editor-in-chief Barry Petchesky was fired by Spanfeller on Tuesday after the site posted four non-sports stories, rejecting a hardline stick-to-sports memo from Maidment.

Petchesky was running the site after former EIC Megan Greenwell left in a very public disagreement with Spanfeller and Maidment, which she documented on her final day. Central to her issues with ownership was Maidment’s insistence that the site be “laser-focused” on sports.

On Monday, Maidment sent a memo to staff codifying that focus, directing the site to refrain from writing about topics that did not involve sports. “Deadspin will write only about sports and that which is relevant to sports in some way,” he wrote.

Deadspin, a sports website founded in 2005, rose to prominence in part thanks to a robust and well-moderated comment section. Commenters sent in newsworthy tips, and several rose to become staffers. As G/O Media, Deadspin’s corporate owner, came under siege on Wednesday, it turned off comments. Readers were deluging every story on the site with comments criticizing ownership.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Deadspin staffers quit en masse after interim editor fired by moron bosses.

Deadspin writers and editors Tom Ley, Kelsey McKinney, Albert Burneko, Patrick Redford, Lauren Thiesen, Chris Thompson, and Laura Wagner all resigned Wednesday in the wake of a series of missteps by private equity goons Jim Spanfeller and Paul Maidment. Editor Diana Moskovitz had privately put in notice weeks ago, and interim editor-in-chief Barry Petchesky was fired by Spanfeller on Tuesday after the site posted four non-sports stories, rejecting a hardline stick-to-sports memo from Maidment.

Petchesky was running the site after former EIC Megan Greenwell left in a very public disagreement with Spanfeller and Maidment, which she documented on her final day. Central to her issues with ownership was Maidment’s insistence that the site be “laser-focused” on sports.

On Monday, Maidment sent a memo to staff codifying that focus, directing the site to refrain from writing about topics that did not involve sports. “Deadspin will write only about sports and that which is relevant to sports in some way,” he wrote.

Deadspin, a sports website founded in 2005, rose to prominence in part thanks to a robust and well-moderated comment section. Commenters sent in newsworthy tips, and several rose to become staffers. As G/O Media, Deadspin’s corporate owner, came under siege on Wednesday, it turned off comments. Readers were deluging every story on the site with comments criticizing ownership.

Their non-sports articles often are their most read pieces. The site is popular and profitable.

New ownership are craven, shortsighted morons. Took something that did good work and made money and destroyed it almost overnight.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Honest to goodness... I used to read Deadspin every day.

I haven't been to the site in months.

Somewhere along the way, they got preachy and judgmental. It's too bad, because I think there's probably a market for a sports site that provides similar content that doesn't also show open disdain for their readership.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I used to like Deadspin, but with the way we consume media changing greatly even in the last five years, I don't think I''d been on the site in forever. They weren't the same after the Hulk Hogan shit anyway.

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

This ratings book is a disaster for Entercom simply because WMJX is showing a drop. 2 years ago Entercom decided to swap 98.5 for 106.7 and got $12 million in cash but kept WEEI.

Beasley Closes Boston Station Swap With Entercom.

Entercom now understands why CBS wanted out of the radio business and today the Boston cluster of Entercom is hemorrhaging red ink everywhere.

They kept

logo_boston_AMP1033.png
logo-boston-WMJX.png
logo-boston-MIX1041.png

logo-boston-WAAF.png
logo-boston-WEEI.png
logo_WEEI_ESPN_850.png

They elected to spinoff

upload_2019-10-31_2-59-30.png
upload_2019-10-31_3-0-10.png
upload_2019-10-31_3-1-32.png
upload_2019-10-31_3-2-20.png

To be kind they miscalculated badly

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
People are actually surprised that Barstool is dancing on deadspins grave.

Does anyone remember when deadspin doxxed PFT Commenter, the most neutral Barstool employee of them all for no reason?

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
A little specificity next time. Meanwhile, who? Not a big mystery that Barstool and Deadspin were always at odds with each other. So not sure who would think it would be a surprise with their reaction.

Members of the blue checkmark brigade. Apparently journalists I've never heard of in my life think Barstool should be treating this with more respect. Apparently they don't want to acknowledge that Deadspin spent the last 2 years trying to tear down Barstool.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
FWIW, I like Minihane. I think he's a talented radio personality.

But he's a total hypocrite.

He gets mad at people who don't have the guts to say things directly to him.

Meanwhile, Dale did a two-part podcast with him in which Minihane kissed Dale's ass, said the two of them didn't have any problems, called Dale his "Radio Dad", and didn't say a single negative word about him.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
FWIW, I like Minihane. I think he's a talented radio personality.

But he's a total hypocrite.

He gets mad at people who don't have the guts to say things directly to him.

Meanwhile, Dale did a two-part podcast with him in which Minihane kissed Dale's ass, said the two of them didn't have any problems, called Dale his "Radio Dad", and didn't say a single negative word about him.
And then other stuff happened after.

That podcast was well before they butted heads.

Kirk is no wall flower and makes his own bed but Dale is a corporate stooge.

The fact he went out if his way to call a producer of another media outlet tells volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad