OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Do you think if this happens that any staff at weei will go to 98.5 or are they more likely to go to another entercom sports station like wfan.

Is there ANYBODY at WEEI that 98.5 would even want right now?

The Sports Hub has been around now for TEN YEARS and the only talent they have flushed was Gary Tanguay in the key billable hours.

Weekends both stations are local but neither station is paying the weekend talent that much and they can sell enough ads to make the segments sustaining.

If I was running WEEI, I would roll the dice and give afternoon drive to Jack Edwards ( and let him do the show from his home in Connecticut) - People WOULD tune in to sample what he was babbling about. OMF has failed miserably but Edwards and Ordway might create sparks.

I hate to admit this but I enjoy Mitch Melnick on CKGM Montreal (TSN690) - He doesn't take phone calls and has a steady number of 'insiders' that are given the floor, and Mitch is very fair to the Bruins. Problem is in Boston intelligent sports radio is not allowed.

A sample

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/lebrun-leafs-went-back-to-struggling-defensively-1.1292922

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/mcguire-adjustments-on-power-play-key-in-playoffs-1.1292883

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

The Sports Hub has been around now for TEN YEARS and the only talent they have flushed was Gary Tanguay in the key billable hours.

Weekends both stations are local but neither station is paying the weekend talent that much and they can sell enough ads to make the segments sustaining.

If I was running WEEI, I would roll the dice and give afternoon drive to Jack Edwards ( and let him do the show from his home in Connecticut) - People WOULD tune in to sample what he was babbling about. OMF has failed miserably but Edwards and Ordway might create sparks.

I hate to admit this but I enjoy Mitch Melnick on CKGM Montreal (TSN690) - He doesn't take phone calls and has a steady number of 'insiders' that are given the floor, and Mitch is very fair to the Bruins. Problem is in Boston intelligent sports radio is not allowed.

A sample

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/lebrun-leafs-went-back-to-struggling-defensively-1.1292922

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/mcguire-adjustments-on-power-play-key-in-playoffs-1.1292883
The interviews with the QB and Coach of the Pats could be valuable to 98.5 it wont be brady/bill forever though

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
98.5 is dullsville most of the time to me but Felger and Mazz I enjoy for baseball talk. WEEI has good Pats coverage but it might as well be broadcast from another planet now bc it's impossible to steam in Canada

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

A sample

The anti-hockey channel giving a show to the voice of the Bruins?

No f***ing chance.

Reactions: Fenway

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

A sample

Keefe may be the only one.

If I were 98.5 and WEEI went under, I'd swap out Beetle for Keefe. Keefe and Zo would be a really entertaining show

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Keefe may be the only one.

If I were 98.5 and WEEI went under, I'd swap out Beetle for Keefe. Keefe and Zo would be a really entertaining show
maybe keefe as a host or a co host could go back to nights and arcand can do a over night show to save on fees to cbs sports radio

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Is there anyone but me out there who has given up sports radio and doesn't miss a thing?

I gave up on it when Dale and Holley ended and dont really miss it.

I do listen to Beetle and Zo on mondays during the season though, Zo's analysis the day after is always entertaining

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Is there anyone but me out there who has given up sports radio and doesn't miss a thing?

Gave it up years ago and I don’t miss it or give a damn what they say or do. The farther away you get from it the more you realize that it has zero affect on anything

Reactions: BNHL and StrBender

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

With XM, I don't listen to the radio period. But I stopped listening to Sports Radio a few years ago. It's just drivel and makes even the worst posters here seem in tune to what's going on. I don't like that the hosts play characters, the frequent and lengthy commercial breaks make it difficult for any kind of conversation to flow. And the yelling...my God, the yelling.

Reactions: BNHL and Chief Nine

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
WEEI. Is the NFL Network/ Patriots 24/7. You have Callahan talking politics, Mutt making a fool out of himself. Dale and Keefe are good. Dale is a good dude and Keefe is too. OMF . Ordway only knows football and basketball, but he talks other sports he makes an attempt too. Merloni as well. Fauria is a putz. The evenings are good. Gilroy although a one trick pony is good at what he does. He doesn’t talk over you. Ben Mallar is good , you can be goofy in front of him. He likes funny talk stuff. Marc James needs a spot during the week. He brings intensity as does Reimer. Wiggins is good But is he good enough. At least he makes an effort. Also Fred and Steve on football are good. They keep the laughter going .

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Not sure how you guys, or anyone for that matter, can listen to sports talk radio. I can't talk sports all day everyday. I'll read articles, check here, twitter. that's way more than enough. I just can't do it all day especially when the radio guys clearly aren't providing analysis of value and are paid to make arguments up. Give me an in depth article all day over fake outrage. Here's to hoping quality over quantity comes back in the news world.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
That's sports radio I believe

It is but like I said it’s not the same as what WEEI and 98.5 do. The morning show on NHL Radio is flat out awful but I check in to get what I get out of it and leave when they get too stupid

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
It is but like I said it’s not the same as what WEEI and 98.5 do. The morning show on NHL Radio is flat out awful but I check in to get what I get out of it and leave when they get too stupid

I think Boston has the best baseball talk in the country. I get most of my hockey coverage from Montreal since it's non stop hockey talk and you get to listen to many of the old time hockey greats. I've gotten tired of the Pats coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad