OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If they're really smart, they'd also broadcast the alt rock format on 103.7 in Providence...or even better enter an agreement with WBRU to broadcast them on radio again.

There's a huge void here in the alt/modern rock market since WBRU got sold out to Christian garbage. WBRU is one of the biggest and most important alt rock stations in the country and bringing them back would be a ratings win and PR win. (i know, wishful thinking)

One of the ugly truths about the radio business is how talent contracts become void IF the station changes format.

Maybe they reach out to Kirk and give him afternoons but does he want that pressure?

Last edited:

Judge Smails

How 'bout a Fresca?
Jan 20, 2004
Bushwood CC
If they're really smart, they'd also broadcast the alt rock format on 103.7 in Providence...or even better enter an agreement with WBRU to broadcast them on radio again.

There's a huge void here in the alt/modern rock market since WBRU got sold out to Christian garbage. WBRU is one of the biggest and most important alt rock stations in the country and bringing them back would be a ratings win and PR win. (i know, wishful thinking)

Big time. I miss WFNX.

I just noticed the change on WBOS yesterday. Heard their "new classic rock" (or whatever they're calling it) promo, then they played a George Thorogood song. Ugh.

Reactions: Kate08 and LSCII

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Big time. I miss WFNX.

I just noticed the change on WBOS yesterday. Heard their "new classic rock" (or whatever they're calling it) promo, then they played a George Thorogood song. Ugh.

WBOS is now for all intents and purposes being run out of Detroit

101 WRIF

NorthEast Radio Watch 4/15/2019: Boston’s ALT Rocks Out

The flip takes WBOS – which had been on a nice upward ratings trend – away from contemporary alternative rock and into a playlist heavy with classic rock sounds from the 1980s and 1990s, a mix they’re billing as “the next generation of classic rock.” It’s aimed at competitors in the two other big clusters, most notably iHeart’s older classic rock mix at WZLX (100.7) and Entercom’s active rock WAAF (107.3), and so far it arrives without any lineup changes at WBOS, which had already been fairly thinly staffed for a Boston FM. (Beyond the morning show from sister station WRIF, afternoons are also tracked from Detroit.)

There’s at least one staffing change: WBOS eliminated its music director position, and with it the job of Joel Weiss. (Monday update: midday jock Amy Brooks is also out as a result of the flip.)

Will Beasley’s move prompt any reaction elsewhere in town? Entercom and iHeart both have their own “Alt” stations in big markets including New York (Entercom’s WNYL 92.3) and Los Angeles (iHeart’s KYSR 98.7), and that’s a format niche and branding that ought to have some place in a market like Boston. So far, though, both companies seem to be doing well enough with even their lesser players that there’s no flip appearing to be imminent at signals such as Entercom’s top-40 “AMP” WODS (103.3) or iHeart’s country “Bull” WBWL (101.7).

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Chatter on Boston media boards populated by insiders indicates Entercom is now looking hard at a format change for WEEI which would free them of expensive talent contracts.

With the format change at 92.9 WBOS from Alternative to Classic Rock, Entercom is now seriously considering converting 93.7 to the same format as their New York station WNYL. Right now WEEI is no longer economically viable. If you look at the cume numbers WBOS was putting up better numbers than WEEI and now those listeners have no terrestrial option.

View attachment 216925

View attachment 216921
View attachment 216923
Whould they consider moving the Sox’s to a better signal if weei flips formats

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I think WEEI is realizing what a colossal mistake it was to get rid of Kirk Minihane. They were gaining traction on T and R and I wonder if the success of the show could have helped leading into the next show, etc.

I liked Rich Keefe a lot with Adam Jones but I can't tell you the last time I tuned into Dale and Keefe. That pairing is destined to fail in my opinion. I see some promise with OMF but it's tough going against Felger and Mazz.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Why? They sucked with him there and he pissed off all their regular guests because he so desperately wanted to be the story.

This is simply not accurate. You might not like him but they were gaining on T and R.

And? You're probably right and he is good for ratings.

Still reflects poorly on a large swath of the region they love listening to him. I think he's detestable.

I didn't listen all the time but there were times I found it enjoyable. Certainly don't think it reflects poorly on anyone. I would love for you to add context to this, seems pretty broad.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I think WEEI is realizing what a colossal mistake it was to get rid of Kirk Minihane. They were gaining traction on T and R and I wonder if the success of the show could have helped leading into the next show, etc.

I liked Rich Keefe a lot with Adam Jones but I can't tell you the last time I tuned into Dale and Keefe. That pairing is destined to fail in my opinion. I see some promise with OMF but it's tough going against Felger and Mazz.
Jones and Keefe where great together they made nights in the summer really entertaining

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

So getting rid of one pita morning show host that had taken himself off the air in a hissy fit made every other show on that station tank as well? Maybe I'm missing something here, but that seems like a rather big stretch to suggest...

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Well no, I didn't say that. I'm not an expert on the business. I was just curious if keeping Minihane would be a positive for leading into the very next show. Now that it's Dale and Keefe, probably not.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I didn't listen all the time but there were times I found it enjoyable. Certainly don't think it reflects poorly on anyone. I would love for you to add context to this, seems pretty broad.

I've commented on my distaste for Kirk Minihane, Gerry Callahan, the morning show, and how their success reflected on the city plenty of times over the years.

Reactions: jgatie

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
So getting rid of one pita morning show host that had taken himself off the air in a hissy fit made every other show on that station tank as well? Maybe I'm missing something here, but that seems like a rather big stretch to suggest...
The only thing there is that there is carry over from a higher rated show to the next one because more just decide to stay tuned in but your point is valid because Dale and Keefe are well...Dale and Keefe, etc

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
OK, congrats. Guess I'm just a bad, mean person!

Don't be such a drama queen. Does listening to a piece of shit's radio show make you one too? No, but it definitely doesn't reflect well on you, which is what I said about a large group of people

I don't think everyone who eats at Chik-Fil-A is a terrible person either, but I think even good people who eat there shouldn't.

Reactions: mel and TrashPanda

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The radio business works in 4 parts

Morning Drive - That is where the money but even that is shrinking as more and more people at home are now watching local news on TV - In Boston we have FIVE stations going at it at 4:30 AM

Middays - a lot depends on the morning show that leads listeners in

Afternoon Drive - very critical to the bottom line

6 PM - 6 AM - Known as nonbillable hours - and some advertisers buy in bulk rate between ownership clusters including everybody's favorite

Do radio stations understand that people tune away the second they hear that jingle? Yup but a company like Entercom will schedule the spot to run at the same time on all their stations. The money generated is impossible to ignore.

Sports stations also use this time for most team contracts

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Don't be such a drama queen. Does listening to a piece of ****'s radio show make you one too? No, but it definitely doesn't reflect well on you, which is what I said about a large group of people

I don't think everyone who eats at Chik-Fil-A is a terrible person either, but I think even good people who eat there shouldn't.

The height of arrogance.

Passing judgement on others because they hold different views than you.

Where is this almighty good character book that you are holding over peoples head and judging them by that according to you says this person good, this person bad?

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
Not to derail, but is it too early to see TV ratings (local channels' share) between the three team playing last night? I was having a conversation with someone at work am my guess was something like 50% Bruins, 35% Celtics, and 20% Red Sox.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
Not to derail, but is it too early to see TV ratings (local channels' share) between the three team playing last night? I was having a conversation with someone at work am my guess was something like 50% Bruins, 35% Celtics, and 20% Red Sox.
The only times I flipped over to the Sox/Yanks game was every time I realized I wasn't breathing watching the Bruins game. It was often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad