OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The only times I flipped over to the Sox/Yanks game was every time I realized I wasn't breathing watching the Bruins game. It was often.

Ha...baseball is a good stabilizer like that. Sometimes you even get to see David Price take a half hour between pitches. Very calming effect.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Felger used to be good many years ago. He talked hockey and he knew what he was talking about.

Now he just blatantly trolls for reaction and it is constant garbage.

Mazz mentions how the Bruins sit back on leads and Felger keeps saying over and over that Toronto takes it to Boston.

Mazz mentions sickness/injuries and Felger laughs at it and says no.

Unfortunately it's the only choice for sports radio but it is AWFUL now.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Holley walking away from the station hurt them just as much as Kirk being phased out.

I'd say it hurt quite a bit more given that people actually like Holley. It also forced them to swap out the midday OMF show and Dale and Keefe, and OMF is simply un-listenable.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Sincere question.

Why would EEI or any other station for that matter need to change formats when they are in the middle of the pack as far as ratings go.

I understand that they are not where they used to be, but if finishing in the middle is so unprofitable, why isn't every station that doesn't finish in the top 25% of the market change their format?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sincere question.

Why would EEI or any other station for that matter need to change formats when they are in the middle of the pack as far as ratings go.

I understand that they are not where they used to be, but if finishing in the middle is so unprofitable, why isn't every station that doesn't finish in the top 25% of the market change their format?

Talk radio is expensive because of the so-called talent - a music station would be thrilled with WEEI's numbers as while they have to license the music they don't have to pay huge talent fees unless the talent is irreplaceable like he is

1200x630bb.jpg

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Talk radio is expensive because of the so-called talent - a music station would be thrilled with WEEI's numbers as while they have to license the music they don't have to pay huge talent fees unless the talent is irreplaceable like he is

1200x630bb.jpg
Do you think WEEI goes under ?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I'd be conflicted about that if it came to be. They were great initially when nobody else was doing it, but then they got arrogant and I sought out alternatives. If they could get a decent program manager back in there and refresh the on air talent, it could easily be viable. The problem is they've done a piss poor job and hired some really awful people at key time slots.

TrashPanda

Feb 24, 2019
The height of arrogance.

Passing judgement on others because they hold different views than you.

Where is this almighty good character book that you are holding over peoples head and judging them by that according to you says this person good, this person bad?

Every hotel room in the south and midwest?

Reactions: bruinsden

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I'd be conflicted about that if it came to be. They were great initially when nobody else was doing it, but then they got arrogant and I sought out alternatives. If they could get a decent program manager back in there and refresh the on air talent, it could easily be viable. The problem is they've done a piss poor job and hired some really awful people at key time slots.

I think what @Fenway posted about the cost of talent with sports radio tells the whole story of why it's such a rancid format. To make big numbers, they need big ratings. To make big ratings they need to create a buzz good or bad. We all know how good stories work in medialand so it's what it is, a cesspool to piss people off to get them angry enough to call in and/or listen to the jerks on the radio rip the home town teams. Personally, I think sports radio (unless it's very neutral and national) is a dying format that is really niche programming

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

It could.

Entercom took on a lot of debt when they bought CBS Radio so they need income and as little bleeding as possible. They have made cuts at WMJX which they traded the Sports Hub for ( plus $12 million ), WAAF is floundering, AMP 103.3 and Mix 98.5 are lean music operations. They make a little money on AM 850 but the lease with ESPN pretty much covers the electric bill for the transmitter.

The cume numbers are frightening as they have lost over 50% of the listeners they had 6 months ago.

I have no clue on how they can fix it given how the market is today.

upload_2019-4-18_16-21-52.png

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
It could.

Entercom took on a lot of debt when they bought CBS Radio so they need income and as little bleeding as possible. They have made cuts at WMJX which they traded the Sports Hub for ( plus $12 million ), WAAF is floundering, AMP 103.3 and Mix 98.5 are lean music operations. They make a little money on AM 850 but the lease with ESPN pretty much covers the electric bill for the transmitter.

The cume numbers are frightening as they have lost over 50% of the listeners they had 6 months ago.

View attachment 217191
So basically what you are telling me is the Hillman morning show hosts make peanuts because they have been in the basement a long time

Reactions: Fenway

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It could.

View attachment 217191
I left the early morning and late afternoon shows - still can’t take Bertrand

Less political talk - more hockey

Goofy at times but that’s ok

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

1200x630bb.jpg

Thanks...makes sense.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
It could.

View attachment 217191
Do you think if this happens that any staff at weei will go to 98.5 or are they more likely to go to another entercom sports station like wfan.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I think what @Fenway posted about the cost of talent with sports radio tells the whole story of why it's such a rancid format. To make big numbers, they need big ratings. To make big ratings they need to create a buzz good or bad. We all know how good stories work in medialand so it's what it is, a cesspool to piss people off to get them angry enough to call in and/or listen to the jerks on the radio rip the home town teams. Personally, I think sports radio (unless it's very neutral and national) is a dying format that is really niche programming

I know I'm old and in the minority....but I don't really listen to music in any format -- just not something that interests me, at least not nearly as much as the vast majority of people, so that leaves talk radio and sports radio as my background noise in the car and at work.

WEEI is nowhere near perfect, but aside from Mustard, who I don't listen to because for most of the year the 98.5 hockey show is on against him, I really don't have a problem with any of the marquee people on there.

I won't listen to the morning show when Reimer is on, because I own two teenagers of my own and work with that population and can only take so much stupidity in my life.

Conversely, I can't stand the morning guys, Zolak, Mazz or Felger, so that precludes me listening to them at all during the day.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I usually don't listen to 98.5 middays. I expect Zolak to be a total numbskull, but Bertrand today was railing about how the Rays "Were okay last year but won't be this year". Well, they are 14-4 so when do you start changing that thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad