OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's no surprise to me that EEI is getting crushed. Like you said, a lot of that is Patriots related, but their shows overall just bring nothing to the table for me personally.

Their 2-6 is somehow even worse radio than F&M which is just an impressive feat.

They really need to get rid of the old guard there and start fresh.

WEEI dug their own grave. I'm surprised they even held out this long and stayed in business with the Sports Hub crushing them for a good 9 years now.

They'll probably get re-formatted to some pop music station and 985 will slowly become the monolith in the market, then refuse to change as Felger and Mazz become the old out of touch blowhards that Ordway and WEEI once were, then in a few years another media group will seize the opportunity to jump in with competition that speaks to the younger demographic and will take them down, etc.

Before Entercom bought CBS Radio WEEI was the cash cow of the entire company, now it is ranked third in the Boston cluster.

WEEI is still overpaying for the Red Sox and they have a lot of expensive talent. WEEI also attracts an older demo that is much harder to sell.

We still have no idea who will be the second announcer on the Red Sox games and will they indeed change from traditional play by play as has been rumored. The clock is ticking....

Red Sox equipment truck arrives in Fort Myers

I am not suggesting a format change is imminent but it is a possibility. A few years ago CBS blew up WODS which had a steady cume of 800,000 listeners but a majority of listeners were over 50. One announcer has been there for 24 years and was given 18 hours notice.

Entercom has options - Mike-FM did very well for them until they needed the signal for WEEI's move to FM. WKAF which was designed to beam WAAF South of Boston was flipped to an urban format and now has more listeners than WAAF itself. I personally think Entercom is looking hard at a country format which advertisers love and talent fees are much less.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Before Entercom bought CBS Radio WEEI was the cash cow of the entire company, now it is ranked third in the Boston cluster.

WEEI is still overpaying for the Red Sox and they have a lot of expensive talent. WEEI also attracts an older demo that is much harder to sell.

We still have no idea who will be the second announcer on the Red Sox games and will they indeed change from traditional play by play as has been rumored. The clock is ticking....

Red Sox equipment truck arrives in Fort Myers

I am not suggesting a format change is imminent but it is a possibility. A few years ago CBS blew up WODS which had a steady cume of 800,000 listeners but a majority of listeners were over 50. One announcer has been there for 24 years and was given 18 hours notice.

Entercom has options - Mike-FM did very well for them until they needed the signal for WEEI's move to FM. WKAF which was designed to beam WAAF South of Boston was flipped to an urban format and now has more listeners than WAAF itself. I personally think Entercom is looking hard at a country format which advertisers love and talent fees are much less.
Would the Redsox even want to stay with EEI at this point it seems like the relationship is in bad shape

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
They were making some good progress, but losing Michael Holley has been a killer. For my money, Holley was the best sports radio personality in town by a long shot

Dale and Holley were getting good numbers in the 2-6 spot and siphoning off a bunch of 98.5 listeners that were growing tired of Felger's schtick

It also let them match up OMF against Beetle and Zo, a more winnable matchup.

Really they should've kept Dale and Keefe at the 2-6 because OMF is dead in the water against Felger and Mazz.

Then add in losing listeners in the AM with Minihane leaving and its a perfect storm of suck

BruinsFan1990

Mar 29, 2016
Winthrop, MA
They were making some good progress, but losing Michael Holley has been a killer. For my money, Holley was the best sports radio personality in town by a long shot

Dale and Holley were getting good numbers in the 2-6 spot and siphoning off a bunch of 98.5 listeners that were growing tired of Felger's schtick

Really they should've kept Dale and Keefe at the 2-6 because OMF is dead in the water against Felger and Mazz.

Then add in losing listeners in the AM with Minihane leaving and its a perfect storm of suck

I know a lot of people hate him, but him being off the morning show is why I stopped listening. The show is a snoozefest now.

Reactions: Si Hopkins

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

Rich Keefe whould be great as a solo night host Adam Jones and keefe came up with good creative stuff during the summers of 14 and 15 when there was no bruins and Celtics games

Reactions: Alicat and sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I get different strokes for different folks.....100% understand why people don't like Callahan/Ordway, etc. and why people hated Minihane....what I can't figure out, however, is how anyone listens to Felger and Mazz, even for one minute.

Mazz has the most annoying voice in radio and even if they're both playing a role....the role they're playing is unlikable and annoying.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
To give people the full context of how truly dumb this Edelman "story" of Felger ripping him for not being Troy Brown is back in 2011, here are the numbers he put up during the '11 season:

4 Receptions for 34 yards.

Up to that point in his career, JE11 had 48 total receptions for less than 500 total yards and all of 1 receiving TD.

So was it really shocking that a radio show host would say something like that back then? Man, so many thin skinned Pats fans that it's embarrassing.

Julian Edelman Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Reactions: shoulders7

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

That alone should tell you why Boston ballwashing radio is garbage. The biggest fan boy of them all.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
To give people the full context of how truly dumb this Edelman "story" of Felger ripping him for not being Troy Brown is back in 2011, here are the numbers he put up during the '11 season:

4 Receptions for 34 yards.

Up to that point in his career, JE11 had 48 total receptions for less than 500 total yards and all of 1 receiving TD.

So was it really shocking that a radio show host would say something like that back then? Man, so many thin skinned Pats fans that it's embarrassing.

Julian Edelman Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

the point is back then people were comparing Edelman to Brown for being a weapon as a returner and wondering if Edelman could make the transition to WR like Brown did (spoiler alert: he could)

Edelman in his 1st 3 years was a deadly return man racking up 650+ yards, 2 TD and 13 yds/return on punts.

The comparison held water because Troy Brown came in purely as a return man. His receiving stats for his 1st 3 seasons combined:

16 rec
181 yds
0 td

in fact, Brown didnt catch more than 25 balls or 250 yds in a season until his 5th year.

Back in 2011, Edelman looked like the white Troy Brown

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
WEEI dug their own grave. I'm surprised they even held out this long and stayed in business with the Sports Hub crushing them for a good 9 years now.

They'll probably get re-formatted to some pop music station and 985 will slowly become the monolith in the market, then refuse to change as Felger and Mazz become the old out of touch blowhards that Ordway and WEEI once were, then in a few years another media group will seize the opportunity to jump in with competition that speaks to the younger demographic and will take them down, etc.
Entercom had 98.5 in the cbs deal and had the Ability to keep it over EEi at one point.98.5 on weeis radio network whould have made a ton of money and the Providence station chould have been used as mike fm

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
the point is back then people were comparing Edelman to Brown for being a weapon as a returner and wondering if Edelman could make the transition to WR like Brown did (spoiler alert: he could)

Edelman in his 1st 3 years was a deadly return man racking up 650+ yards, 2 TD and 13 yds/return on punts.

The comparison held water because Troy Brown came in purely as a return man. His receiving stats for his 1st 3 seasons combined:

16 rec
181 yds
0 td

in fact, Brown didnt catch more than 25 balls or 250 yds in a season until his 5th year.

Back in 2011, Edelman looked like the white Troy Brown

Let it go. It was a shit story about nothing. If it took 8 years to stick it in the guy's face, what does that say?

2011 New England Patriots Statistics & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Even if you want to talk just about total returns, Woodhead and he had nearly the same overall yardage in 11 as Edelman. If you look over the 3 year span, you see Welker and others also pretty much had similar numbers too, so it's not like this guy was Devin Hester in the return game or anything.

So again, I stand by this being a manufactured story that has been perpetuated by thin skinned Pats fans who can't handle any criticism even when it was valid. It's very Yankees-like in fact.

Reactions: shoulders7

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The telltale number is in the cume totals at the bottom which now indicate almost twice as many people sample WBZ-FM in a given week than WEEI-FM.

Obviously, some of it is Patriots related but is most likely is deeper than that. These kind of numbers can make corporate in Entercom Philadelphia consider a format change to reduce talent expenses. It is a dirty part of the radio business that many announcer contracts become void if the station changes format.

View attachment 183959
View attachment 183961

They shut off Canada from coverage so their ratings tanking is welcome news

Reactions: Fenway

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I switched over to eei this morning because they were talking Celtics on the hub. Is Wiggy a regular now or is he just a guest?

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I switched over to eei this morning because they were talking Celtics on the hub. Is Wiggy a regular now or is he just a guest?

Considering he knows more sports than the other hosts combined, I hope he's a regular. How the hell did Reimer get his job, by calling in?

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
WEEI needs to get Reimer and Tomase off the air and make Wiggy the full-time 3rd guy on Mut & Callahan.

Exactly! Is there anyone in the world who wakes up in the morning and tunes in to find out that Reimer and Tomase are there and is happy about it?

They are awful, in every sense of the word.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Both stations should collapse, there isn’t a single quality program on either. Sports radio in this city is TRASH. Felger and Mazz being #1 says it all

It’s hot take garbage.

Reactions: dabid and BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

The loss of Michael Holley is the major reason why I stopped listening to EEI. He & Dale had a great show and I miss it a lot. Not a fan of MH's replacement, the chemistry just isn't there. OMF is WEEI's attempt to beat a dead horse back to life, I listened for about 2 weeks after the reboot and gave up. I never listened to the morning show so I have zero idea if it is good bad or indifferent.

Reactions: Si Hopkins

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
For all the more Felger pokes fun at himself for his lack of technological prowess, THS has done a much better job of adapting and modernizing than EEI in terms of format and approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad