OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
df6817a7845601ac1ab622f033debd2a.jpg

That’s really odd. Did they really close at 8pm??

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

My family had a summer place in Hampton ( which I still retreat to in summer ) and Yokum's was a place we went to often. Now I have the radio jingle playing in my head :)

My parents took us there once a million years ago. I remember the food was good and it was really crowded

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Detroit went from hockey town to empty seats on tv in a few years after they started losing the Bruins have at least stayed consistent in attendance after tradeing away future all stars for little in return

Agree with this. I don't care what any out of towner has to say or any of the hacks that "write" articles in newspapers. I have zero time or interest in "talk" radio that is loaded with Patriot fan boys.

One thing I WILL take to the grave, the BRUINS have the most loyal legit fan base PERIOD. It's in our blood and its in the fabric of the City.

The levels of participation in Hockey at the grassroot levels in Boston and beyond in NE are off the chart. Not football Not baseball not basketball. Not disrespect to soccer.

It's to easy to say your a Pats fan. Hell I have relatives that will wear a Pats t-shirt and have parties that couldn't name 6 players on the team. Red Sox are an Advertising, tourist destination product that's owned by a group that keeps buying up precious gems for the soul reason of greed and control of the politicians in the city.

Being part of the busing crisis in the 70 I don't like to be lectured from out of towner and even people that claim they are from "Boston" but are not on what our city is in regards to racism. John Henry STFU and go away.

Basketball is just not my thing and I don't know many people I grew up with and still talk to that are either. Sure there is buzz when trader Dan adds a big name and sells some jerseys and the media follows like puppy dogs.

I know I'm all over the place with this sorry those my feeling this morning :)

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Beaver Country Day School

I can still hear him say that in my mind.

I always thought I’d like to go there.

Rest In Peace.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Remember him every morning in the late 60s and 70s with Gil Santos and Dick Stockton

I would see Gary every morning at a long-gone diner in North Cambridge (Vic's) He HATED getting up early and was grumpy. :)

Just before Christmas, the waitress was in a panic because she could not find a Cabbage Patch doll for her daughter. On Christmas Eve morning Gary walked into the diner and gave her a doll. He bought it at the WBZ Children's Hospital Telethon.

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
I grew up in Portsmouth, half a mile from Yoken's. Only ate there a few times before they closed because the food was so greasy. The lot was vacant for almost a decade it seems after they shut down. The gift shop had tchotchkes for days.

Gosh that picture brings back memories.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Remember him every morning in the late 60s and 70s with Gil Santos and Dick Stockton

That WBZ morning crew was the best- Dave Maynard was the DJ, Don Kent with the weather, Gil Santos with sports, Gary LaPierre with the news and Joe Green with the traffic report.

I think with Gary LaPierre's passing they are all gone. :(

Reactions: Chief Nine

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
That WBZ morning crew was the best- Dave Maynard was the DJ, Don Kent with the weather, Gil Santos with sports, Gary LaPierre with the news and Joe Green with the traffic report.

There was also,"Dick Stockton,comments on sports"

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenian24 and BMC

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The telltale number is in the cume totals at the bottom which now indicate almost twice as many people sample WBZ-FM in a given week than WEEI-FM.

Obviously, some of it is Patriots related but is most likely is deeper than that. These kind of numbers can make corporate in Entercom Philadelphia consider a format change to reduce talent expenses. It is a dirty part of the radio business that many announcer contracts become void if the station changes format.

upload_2019-2-7_13-3-28.png

upload_2019-2-7_13-4-21.png

Reactions: smithformeragent

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
It's no surprise to me that EEI is getting crushed. Like you said, a lot of that is Patriots related, but their shows overall just bring nothing to the table for me personally.

Their 2-6 is somehow even worse radio than F&M which is just an impressive feat.

They really need to get rid of the old guard there and start fresh.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
WEEI dug their own grave. I'm surprised they even held out this long and stayed in business with the Sports Hub crushing them for a good 9 years now.

They'll probably get re-formatted to some pop music station and 985 will slowly become the monolith in the market, then refuse to change as Felger and Mazz become the old out of touch blowhards that Ordway and WEEI once were, then in a few years another media group will seize the opportunity to jump in with competition that speaks to the younger demographic and will take them down, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille