OT: Official Sports Media Thread VI - Doc Emrick wins play by play Emmy for 6th consecutive year

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
That sucks, of all the Sox-centric writers in town, he probably had the most integrity. Didn't have axes to grind and didn't manufacture controversies to get hits like some of the others. Always had an easygoing demeanor.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
One afternoon in Winter Haven back in 1991 we went to see The Doors movie and we have been friends since.

We were the only 2 people in the theater :laugh:

I'm truly sorry for your loss, Fenway. Seemed like a genuinely nice person that treated everyone he met with class and dignity. Mazz was a mess every time they tried to talk about Nick today and his passing.

Reactions: Kovi

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Wife and 2 children getting that call makes my stomach churn.God bless his family and friends during this difficult time in their lives . RIP Nick.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Me and my wife sat with Nick and his very young son about 25 years ago at the Sports Museum in Cambridge Mall.

I was so pumped I was sitting right next to Nick and we had serious great baseball talk. We were joking we were both Gammons disciples

Such a bummer

Rest In Peace Nick Going to miss you

Reactions: Fenway and sarge88

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Sox will do something but Nick's legacy will not be forgotten you can bet on that;

it was hard for Pete Abraham to go on live with TC from Fenway South.....

even Lou Merloni was stunned, Merloni said they had just chatted for roughly ten minutes, then moved on to the daily interview with Alex Cora, when he found out about Nick

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'm truly sorry for your loss, Fenway. Seemed like a genuinely nice person that treated everyone he met with class and dignity. Mazz was a mess every time they tried to talk about Nick today and his passing.

I have fond memories of Nick back when Spring Training was in Winter Haven and far less corporate than it is today. We called it Saugus with palm trees and the nerve center was the bar at the old Holiday Inn. The Globe and Herald would arrive by noon and everything was low key.

One night in 1991 the bar was empty and I was sitting with Nick and Gene Lavanchy who was working in Providence at the time. I mentioned I had the tape of Game 6 of the 86 World Series in my car and Nick said let's watch it. The barmaid put it on and what happened the next 3 hours was surreal.

By the sixth inning, the bar was packed and everybody is watching the game like it was in real time it was nuts as if all of us were hoping the ending would change.

But what I cherish most are a few nights that we spent talking sports at Peaceful Meadows in Whitman. Over 20 years ago I convinced him to go to a game in Lowell at the old Alumni Field to see David Eckstein play and after 3 innings he said 'You should be a scout, this kid is going to make it.'

Jonny Miller is really taking this hard.

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
Is anyone listening to this Patrick Gilroy clown on WEEI late nights? It's awful. Just complete trash. Apparently he normally does 10pm-2am so I've never really heard him before but holy shit it's terrible. Since he's on his own he does that thing where he adds longs pauses constantly when he's spewing his hot takes to fill extra time and add emphasis. The entirety of his show is arguing against straw men.

Edit: It also pains me to say but I have been enjoying Reimer recently.

Last edited:

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I have fond memories of Nick back when Spring Training was in Winter Haven and far less corporate than it is today. We called it Saugus with palm trees and the nerve center was the bar at the old Holiday Inn. The Globe and Herald would arrive by noon and everything was low key.

One night in 1991 the bar was empty and I was sitting with Nick and Gene Lavanchy who was working in Providence at the time. I mentioned I had the tape of Game 6 of the 86 World Series in my car and Nick said let's watch it. The barmaid put it on and what happened the next 3 hours was surreal.

By the sixth inning, the bar was packed and everybody is watching the game like it was in real time it was nuts as if all of us were hoping the ending would change.

But what I cherish most are a few nights that we spent talking sports at Peaceful Meadows in Whitman. Over 20 years ago I convinced him to go to a game in Lowell at the old Alumni Field to see David Eckstein play and after 3 innings he said 'You should be a scout, this kid is going to make it.'

Jonny Miller is really taking this hard.
Sending you so much love, my friend.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
53397812_10217220747323459_198332054901882880_n.jpg

Nick Carfardo was always afraid NESN management was hanging on his every word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events