OT: Official Sports Media Thread V - Tim Neverett will not return to the Red Sox radio broadcast team

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I didn’t know he was sick. (Never listen to ‘EEI except Dale&Keefe)

I agree with EverettMike. A very mean-spirited man. I hope he gets the treatment he needs and has an awakening with regards to the rest of the world around him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
A heard a WEEI person once say when the numbers aren’t there no one will be there to catch him

I asked is this schtick or is he an ahole - I got back big f***ing ahole

There are friends I know who said it’s a ratings issue he’d do anything for them and they aren’t sold on this story

But both his parents passed away young and recently and that’s a big big thing

One of my buds I work with said Wednesday he is still messed up by the loss of both his parents that died 2 months apart of cancer and were in mid 70’s and living active great lives and then wham

I can see the skepticism because it’s him but he’s got things that could weaken anyone

Not to compare him to Morton Downey Jr but their mercurial rise and somewhat cult following and bizarre but at times fascinating shows both seemed at least to me to be both unsustainable and headed for a crash and burn not a smooth landing

Hnidy Hnight

Dec 21, 2006
North of Boston, MA
The whole issue with the transgender dad, trying to take down the show, was also cited by Kirk. I guess it started when K and C called out that transgender who won the women’s state track championship in Connecticut. (I don’t have the full Turtleboy article handy)

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I cant imagine anyone doing this for a ratings ploy. I didnt hear Minihane today, but Fred on 98.5 has been pretty open with his own struggles with depression and anxiety. His message was positive about it taking time and effort to find right therapist and meds if needed, but keep trying and it will eventually help and can live happier life. I'm hoping Kirk has same outlook.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Maybe.

Regardless....living a lifestyle where your mind is constantly in overdrive isn’t easy.

His persona is combative and needs to be because of both his position on many issues as well as his job.

It’s a difficult way to live.....constant conflict, day after day coupled with inner turmoil due to family issues/substance issues and/or mental health, makes it extremely difficult live a healthy life.
It's hard for me to sympathize with a jackass like him. It's no schtick,the guy sucks.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Rare that I find myself listening to sports radio at this time of night (or in general), but Arcand is so much better than Cattles. That guy did nothing for me

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
3 minutes in

Toucher and Rich: Will the station be moving again and Red Sox win (Hour 1) - Toucher & Rich - Omny.fm

Center Court buys Star Market, media building on Morrissey Blvd.

There’s more movement on William T. Morrissey Boulevard, as a familiar name consolidates more land on the increasingly in-demand stretch of road. Center Court Properties, which has offices in New York and Boston, has acquired two major parcels this week through its CC 35-55 Morrissey LLC.

The LLC purchased the Star Market at 35 Morrissey Blvd. and the Beasley Media Group Boston building at 55 Morrissey Blvd. for a combined $56 million on Aug. 6, according to the recorded deed. These lots and the smaller parcels around them comprise about 280,000 square feet of land.

Center Court, which could not immediately be reached for comment, also purchased the former WLVI-TV studio at 75 Morrissey Blvd. for $14.5 million in June 2017. The earlier purchase was through a different subsidiary, CC 75 Morrissey LLC.

I used to live in Savin Hill and know that stretch of the Globe & Star Market well. Will the latter be closing?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Yay more ****ing condos!!!!!!

Damn straight. This is "the new Boston," brought to you by effing Marty Walsh, his union pals & his fat cat developer backers.

By all means, more lux accommodations for rich effers! Like NYC & SF, Boston is well on its way to becoming a playground for the wealthy, Cheers!

Reactions: BMC

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It's hard for me to sympathize with a jackass like him. It's no schtick,the guy sucks.

I get it,,,

Like many things it’s subjective.

He says things that make me laugh, some that make me angry and some that make me cringe.

In the end, I’d rather listen to someone who is raw and honest than someone who is phony and boring.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
He's right though. Minehan acts like a bully that delights in the suffering of others. You would think his own struggles would make him have more empathy for others. That said, I wish him well.

I don't.

I have life-long, debilitating issues with anxiety & depression. It's admirable that KM copped to his stuff. That doesn't change the fact that he's a prick scumbag happy to hurt others for ratings & $$.

Schmuck.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I get it,,,

He says things that make me laugh, some that make me angry and some that make me cringe.

In the end, I’d rather listen to someone who is raw and honest than someone who is phony and boring.
I agree on all of this. He is polarizing. Most of the posts in here about him are from people who don’t like him and don’t listen to him.

Reactions: sarge88

SPB2776

Jun 4, 2009
Rare that I find myself listening to sports radio at this time of night (or in general), but Arcand is so much better than Cattles. That guy did nothing for me
I started listening to Arcand when he was on late nights on WEEI and quickly became a fan. Pairing him with Jones is a waste

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I get it,,,

Ya see,he is a colossal phony! I'm telling ya,he'd have been knocked flat out if he ever flapped his gums like that outside of Weston. A true fake tough guy.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Ya see,he is a colossal phony! I'm telling ya,he'd have been knocked flat out if he ever flapped his gums like that outside of Weston. A true fake tough guy.

I don’t think he’s a phony to be honest because that would mean that he doesn’t believe the things he says. I think he believes what he says...it’s just that a lot of it is unpopular.

As for being a fake tough guy, I think that you need to think you’re tough in order to be one.

He doesn’t.

I’ve heard many an interview where he’s admitted that whoever it is he’s arguing with or insulting would mop the floor with him physically.

I get why people don’t like him and I’m not trying to convince anyone differently.

I just don’t think he’s a fraud.

I think he’s an extremely troubled person, with a self-loathing tendency, and because of that, his perspective on many issues doesn’t align with the majority of people.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Ordway makes a good point about the signal on 93.7. They can't move the transmitter any further south as the station is licensed to Lawrence and Entercom owns a station on the same frequency in Hartford. If you live south or southwest of Boston you will listen to the Providence signal.

upload_2018-8-11_17-54-14.png

upload_2018-8-11_17-46-22.png

upload_2018-8-11_17-55-43.png

upload_2018-8-11_17-51-39.png

https://weei.radio.com/articles/column/sports-radio-world-according-glenn-ordway-0

What’s your take on the state of WEEI? How has the station changed from before when you were working here to now?

“Well, the morning show I think is a lot healthier now. They’ve really put that together which is a good thing. On the other hand, they’ve had their own issues with that which is what happens when you tread down that road. I think the station – I hope it is – better off now than it was when I came back because if it isn’t, then it makes me look bad. I certainly think there’s a lot of factors that played into it. Kirk with Gerry has been really good. You’re going through a period where you have a really competitive competing station. They have three of the sports teams. It’s much more difficult for us because of the signal. Their signal is much better than ours. I’m not trying to complain about it, I’m just giving you the facts about it. People don’t realize it and I know you’ve heard those guys in the morning and I’ve complained about it before too, the people that cover the business don’t really understand it. We’re not asking to get credit for Providence numbers. We’re just trying to get credit for the people that are in the Boston metro area that have to listen to 103.7 FM (WVEI, one of WEEI’s local affiliates).

“I can sit here and I can bitch all day – in the end, it really doesn’t make a bit of a difference. I think this market is – if you look around the country, you will not find another city that even comes close to having two sports radio stations that are dominating the entire market the way these two are. There’s not another city in America that you can say that about – not even close.

“One of our biggest problems in the old days was that we were on an AM station and at the time, anybody – forget about being under 30 – anybody under 40 had never listened or never would listen to an AM radio station. The other guys were smart with Mark Hannon. They came on the dial and went to FM and you see where it went and we were forced finally two years later to go (to FM).

“You go look at the numbers, I’m telling you, Chicago. Their two sports radio stations, one probably does a six share and the other one does a three share. Combined, they don’t even add up to one of our stations. It’s unbelievable. All across America you don’t see that. It’s amazing.”

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-11_17-50-38.png
    upload_2018-8-11_17-50-38.png
    128.5 KB · Views: 1

SPB2776

Jun 4, 2009
I have to know because I don’t listen to him but it seems like nobody likes Adam Jones. Is this correct?
Personally, I really can't stand him. He's just one of those guys who always takes the negative stance on everything. And he's a basketball guy who drones in incessantly about it.

To quote Frank Costanza, this guy, this is not my kinda guy

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I have to know because I don’t listen to him but it seems like nobody likes Adam Jones. Is this correct?
He's terrible.

He tries to do the Felger contrarian schtick about everything, but it feels so forced, and just....lame.

I get being the sidekick on the nightshow is something you'd like to move on from eventually, so that's probably part of it, but I think it's pretty damning that he's on his 3rd co-host since taking over in early 2013.

Reactions: Alicat

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I don’t think he’s a phony to be honest because that would mean that he doesn’t believe the things he says. I think he believes what he says...it’s just that a lot of it is unpopular.

As for being a fake tough guy, I think that you need to think you’re tough in order to be one.

He doesn’t.

I’ve heard many an interview where he’s admitted that whoever it is he’s arguing with or insulting would mop the floor with him physically.

I get why people don’t like him and I’m not trying to convince anyone differently.

I just don’t think he’s a fraud.

I think he’s an extremely troubled person, with a self-loathing tendency, and because of that, his perspective on many issues doesn’t align with the majority of people.
Since I turned EEI off because of him 2 years ago maybe his tough guy schtick changed,but believe me he was talking about kicking peoples' asses-a lot. It just made me wonder how he would have survived in my neighborhood of double and triple deckers of mostly first generation Irish families. He wouldn't have. He's a complete actor,and has an ego the size of Manhattan. They should rid themselves of this POS,but they'll use him for all he's worth.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Since I turned EEI off because of him 2 years ago maybe his tough guy schtick changed,but believe me he was talking about kicking peoples' asses-a lot. It just made me wonder how he would have survived in my neighborhood of double and triple deckers of mostly first generation Irish families. He wouldn't have. He's a complete actor,and has an ego the size of Manhattan. They should rid themselves of this POS,but they'll use him for all he's worth.
You state that you turned it off 2 years ago and you post this now today with this strong emotional post.

I suggest you just forget about him and enjoy life.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I get it.

I grew up in North Lawrence.....not the good part, either..lol. (There is no good part)

I’m constantly wondering to myself how people would manage if they literally had to walk my route to school growing up....and I don’t think Kirk would have fared very well, BTW.

Still amazed that I made it!

I do think that his mental health issues are the driving force behind 90% of what he says and does.

A small part might be schtick/ratings grab, but he’s not a mentally healthy guy and that’s his biggest issue, IMO.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Don Yee, Tom Brady’s sports agent, talks about being mocked by WEEI in an Asian accent - The Boston Globe

leung.png
By Shirley Leung GLOBE COLUMNIST AUGUST 11, 2018

HOUSTON — Six months later, sports radio station WEEI continues to make amends after co-host Christian Fauria mocked Don Yee, Tom Brady’s sport agent, using an insensitive stereotypical Asian accent.

Fauria accepted an invitation from Yee to speak about the racist incident at the annual Asian American Journalists Convention on Friday. He sat next to me on a panel that also included NBC10 Boston reporter Jonathan Choe.

“I want to take this opportunity to once again apologize to anyone and to everyone who I offended,” Fauria told the audience in a packed hotel conference room. “It was stupid. It was completely immature . . . I should have known better.”

Michele Steele, an ESPN reporter who moderated the panel, asked Fauria when he knew he had crossed a line.

“I knew I was flirting with it, if not going over the line,” said Fauria. “But I didn’t stop.”

Yee, who is of Chinese descent, was born in California and speaks perfect English, yet Fauria insisted on doing a fake impersonation. Fauria -- a former Patriots player on a show with Glenn Ordway and former Red Sox infielder Lou Merloni -- knows what Yee sounds like but kept using the accent, explaining to listeners in February, “It’s more fun this way.”

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Why didn’t entercom consider keeping 98.5 when they brought cbs radio they chould of still had some of the radio network of stations if they did along with a better signal

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I get it.

I grew up in North Lawrence.....not the good part, either..lol. (There is no good part)

I’m constantly wondering to myself how people would manage if they literally had to walk my route to school growing up....and I don’t think Kirk would have fared very well, BTW.

Still amazed that I made it!

I do think that his mental health issues are the driving force behind 90% of what he says and does.

A small part might be schtick/ratings grab, but he’s not a mentally healthy guy and that’s his biggest issue, IMO.
Well ratings overrule decency and this guy has proved to be the most indecent of them all,what he was hoping to achieve by sharing his story is nothing more than self centered attention seeking once again. No mercy,just go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad