Official Sports Media Thread (TV, Radio, Print etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhoshambeau

May 21, 2010
Northern Connecticut
Candid interview. Who's scarier,Bulger or Nilan?

article-0-0CC2899800000578-966_634x456.jpg

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
chris nilan once offered to fight me on twitter

One of the few players ever to play for the B's that I truly despised. I hate Milbury for bringing him aboard (and for a lot of other reasons).

And also one of the most overrated fighters in history IMO. Just because you're crazy and willing to fight doesn't mean you're good at hit.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
One of the few players ever to play for the B's that I truly despised. I hate Milbury for bringing him aboard (and for a lot of other reasons).

And also one of the most overrated fighters in history IMO. Just because you're crazy and willing to fight doesn't mean you're good at hit.

Hated him for the Middleton and Boutillier incidents. Good and difficult but not great fighter who never backed down and almost always initiated with anyone and everyone. If a liberty was taken with a Canadien then sure as **** he'd come calling each and every time. Not someone who is vomiting before games worried about who he'd have to fight. Born as tough as anyone,not a very nice guy if he doesn't know you. Sandpaper rolled up in leather tough and an irrational sense of justice,loyalty and sensibility. Not a job to him,just who he is.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
The Last Gladiator was extremely fascinating, whether you love or hate Mr. Knuckles.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
The Last Gladiator was extremely fascinating, whether you love or hate Mr. Knuckles.

He's not all warm and fuzzy. Most fighters have the rep of being much different than their role. Not Nilan. He is the role.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I would have loved to see Nilan fight HF banned poster Don Cherry. He once PM'd me to ask if I could arrange him to fight Wheeler. DC would be my pick over Nilan and certainly Wheeler. He was serious.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I would have loved to see Nilan fight HF banned poster Don Cherry. He once PM'd me to ask if I could arrange him to fight Wheeler. DC would be my pick over Nilan and certainly Wheeler. He was serious.

If he's within 5 years of Nilan's age I don't think he'd be looking to do it again. Wheeler? C'mon,why not Kaberle? Or Kessel? Or Jean Ratelle?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Not sure why none of us brought it up, but the Shaughnessy stuff this week was embarrassing and ridiculous.

I get that Joe Sullivan and him are totally clueless, but the number of other media members in this town that are also clueless was staggering.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004

I remember back on the old board when DC had a fight lined up against another poster, can't remember who. They had picked some spot somewhere and all, and IIRC, DC showed but the other guy didn't. :laugh:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Bruce Allen as usual nails it, and he also nails the follow-up:

I’m convinced that the majority of these media people 1) only read the headline or summary of the column, namely that sportwriters shouldn’t root for teams, and 2) have no idea about some of the stuff Shaughnessy has pulled over the years.
I’m not going to launch into another 2000 word screed here. Just want to reemphasize a couple of things.

I keep hearing from media, while Shaughnessy goes on his media victory tour “Dan’s absolutely right, media shouldn’t be rooting for teams.” – as if that is the entire issue here. The enabling hosts cry “But it would be so boring if there weren’t brave people like Dan and Ron Borges around!“ They’re making this into “Shaughnessy makes fans mad because he picks against the locals!!!” As if that matters at all. I don’t care who he picks to win.

Let me be clear: I don’t think sportswriters should be rooting for the home team.
It is possible though, to write entertaining columns while remaining detached from the outcome and without completely trashing the locals.

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/20...s-around-shaughnessy-are-as-clueless-as-he-is

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital

It seems like at least once a year, the media in this town goes through a phase where they feel it necessary to analyze themselves, and their relationship to the teams/fans in this town. It's usually brought on by one of these gasbags like Shaughnessy, and then he makes the rounds on the radio and tv so that everyone can sit around and talk about themselves. So essentially the media gets to sit around and stroke their own microphones, you know, themselves making themselves the story...and then reporting on it. Thrilling stuff.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I remember back on the old board when DC had a fight lined up against another poster, can't remember who. They had picked some spot somewhere and all, and IIRC, DC showed but the other guy didn't. :laugh:

Oh man, that's classic. I wonder how many HF-related fights have occurred IRL.

"You think that was a headshot?! Meet me at the flagpole at 3:30 and I'll show you what a real headshot is!"

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

That DC guy was unhinged. It was hilarious. He'd come in, troll everyone and then challenge someone to a fight. It never got old watching it happen either. The dude was comedy gold. :laugh:

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
that shaughnessy article was painful to read. painful. the way he writes. is difficult to follow. i don't know why he does this. don't know. don't care. tough to read.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Excellent article.

Re the tweets quoted by Bruce Allen-I get a kick out of "professional journalists" [an oxymoron on a par with "objective journalism"] going on and on about what "real" journalism looks like/ how it works etc.when they're getting their clocks cleaned by other media forms on a daily basis.

Well, ahem. Full disclosure - I'm a journalist (an editor), and I like to think I'm professional about it.

There are many good sports reporters in New England; Bruce has highlighted some of them on his site, as a matter of fact. Unfortunately, as in any profession, there are plenty of bad apples, and they garner a lot of attention. Shaughnessy is one of the worst of the lot, and an embarrassment, IMHO.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
that shaughnessy article was painful to read. painful. the way he writes. is difficult to follow. i don't know why he does this. don't know. don't care. tough to read.

been saying this for decades every time someone chimes in with something like "what a DB! but he is a good writer". No. He's not. He really is not. He's the epitome of a "sportswriter", as opposed to someone like a Bob Ryan, Gordon Edes, or Peter May (and even KPD) who are writers who happen to write about sports.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
That DC guy was unhinged. It was hilarious. He'd come in, troll everyone and then challenge someone to a fight. It never got old watching it happen either. The dude was comedy gold. :laugh:

he was one of the reasons I initially hooked on to this site. Too bad he's gone. No wonder this place has gone soft lately with the modern day version of "Cam Neely can't score from the penalty box" crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad