Official Sports Media Thread (TV, Radio, Print etc.) - V‎II‎I

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Of course Callahan thinks it's a big deal, because to his closed minded world full of stereotypical labels, it is. Truth is though, most guys have already played with a gay player on their team at some point, whether they know it or not. It really isn't a big deal to most people at all anymore. I also think the belief being perpetuated that the NFL is this outdated organization and is not accepting of a person because of sexuality is way, way overstated, IMO.

I took their argument to be more about what effect it would have on the team in general; i.e. media hounding them about it etc.

It wasn't really a discussion about whether or not players would care about playing with an openly gay teammate.

Gerry's point was valid, IMO. Especially when you look at all the publicity Sam got, even after he didn't make the Rams and got cut from the Cowboys practice squad.

Gerry pretty much summed it up when he asked them to name another guy that was cut from a practice squad recently that was reported on to the same degree.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I took their argument to be more about what effect it would have on the team in general; i.e. media hounding them about it etc.

It wasn't really a discussion about whether or not players would care about playing with an openly gay teammate.

Gerry's point was valid, IMO. Especially when you look at all the publicity Sam got, even after he didn't make the Rams and got cut from the Cowboys practice squad.

Gerry pretty much summed it up when he asked them to name another guy that was cut from a practice squad recently that was reported on to the same degree.

I took it the same way you did. Callahan has a valid point. I remember ESPN had a poll last year that showed the percentage of athletes in each major sport who believed that having a gay teammate would be a distraction. The NFL was #1 by quite a bit.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Some guy called and wanted the Bruins to trade Lucic for either Evander Kane or Blake Wheeler. Wallach suggested that Wheeler should be the guy. It was painful radio. I'm ok when they have Billy Jaffe on or someone who knows what they're talking about. But these guys have been killing me lately.

I never listen to EEI, on principle. But, Stanley Cup of Chowder linked to the weekly Wednesday appearance at noon by Andy Brickley. Good stuff.

http://media.weei.com/merloni-fauria-and-benz.htm?

I don't listen to F&M anymore, save for Cam's weekly spot. Not that I learn much from those, but I still like to hear what Neely has to say. Otherwise, F&M has become trolling garbage. Everything is b*tching & whining, smug sarcasm and ignorance. Then they go back to yakking endlessly about the Patriots in mind numbing detail. It took awhile, but I'm finished with those two.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I never listen to EEI, on principle. But, Stanley Cup of Chowder linked to the weekly Wednesday appearance at noon by Andy Brickley. Good stuff.

http://media.weei.com/merloni-fauria-and-benz.htm?

I don't listen to F&M anymore, save for Cam's weekly spot. Not that I learn much from those, but I still like to hear what Neely has to say. Otherwise, F&M has become trolling garbage. Everything is b*tching & whining, smug sarcasm and ignorance. Then they go back to yakking endlessly about the Patriots in mind numbing detail. It took awhile, but I'm finished with those two.

I am not surprised by this. You have stated in the past how much you hated Ordway and these two learned from him and are basically doing the same thing.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I am not surprised by this. You have stated in the past how much you hated Ordway and these two learned from him and are basically doing the same thing.

Felger is very, very good at trolling; I always thought Ordway was more of a weasel artist; every side of every issue so he's always right. The manufactured b*itching from F&M, and the constant Patriots/NFL blather just isn't worth listening to. I'd rather listen to classical music (not a joke :) )

In the event, Brickley is obviously knowledgeable in a way Haggerty, et. al. aren't. Billy Jaffe knows the game. Bobby Mac, Elliott Friedman, and Craig Button are favorites, too. I know some here don't like Mad Mike, but I enjoy his segments with Keith Jones.

And, as noted previously, I could pretty much listen to Bob Ryan talk about anything.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I didn't hear it, so I'll defer to you since you did. If that was the tenor of their discussion, I get Callahan's point.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I miss the JB interviews on TR :(, but Smitty seems like a good sport.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
FM better give me 1-2 good hours of hockey talk to ***** about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad