OT: Official Sports Media Thread IX: Boston Marathon TV coverage will move to Channel 5/ESPN as of next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
So I ditched cable a while back and only do steaming services. I’m looking ahead to next season and just want to be able to watch every Bruins game. What/how many streaming service do I need? YouTube TV doesn’t have NESN. Fubo doesn’t have TNT. Now I’m hearing some games will ONLY be on ESPN+. Why the hell is this so complicated? Thanks, Gary.

ESPN+ costs $7 a month and the Disney bundle is $14 - BUT for a hockey fan who subscribed to NHL.tv the cost will now go down.

• ESPN+ will hold rights to 75 exclusive national games per season, which will also be available on Hulu, and will not be carried by any linear television outlets.
  • ESPN will hold rights to 25 exclusive national games per season, which can air on either ESPN or ABC.
  • ESPN will hold exclusive rights to opening night games, the All-Star Game, and other "special events".
  • The NHL's digital out-of-market package NHL.tv will be discontinued in the United States, with all out-of-market games moving to ESPN+ (similarly to ESPN's agreement for Major League Soccer's out-of-market package)
How many of the 75 ESPN+ games will involve the Bruins? I think 5 is the number...... and they will be with rivals.

TNT/TBS will have 72 games plus any outdoor game. The Bruins should be in about 5 of those. (ESPN+ will not carry any TNT/TBS games)

Reactions: Dreghorn2

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
ESPN+ costs $7 a month and the Disney bundle is $14 - BUT for a hockey fan who subscribed to NHL.tv the cost will now go down.

• ESPN+ will hold rights to 75 exclusive national games per season, which will also be available on Hulu, and will not be carried by any linear television outlets.
  • ESPN will hold rights to 25 exclusive national games per season, which can air on either ESPN or ABC.
  • ESPN will hold exclusive rights to opening night games, the All-Star Game, and other "special events".
  • The NHL's digital out-of-market package NHL.tv will be discontinued in the United States, with all out-of-market games moving to ESPN+ (similarly to ESPN's agreement for Major League Soccer's out-of-market package)
How many of the 75 ESPN+ games will involve the Bruins? I think 5 is the number...... and they will be with rivals.

TNT/TBS will have 72 games plus any outdoor game. The Bruins should be in about 5 of those. (ESPN+ will not carry any TNT/TBS games)
So as long as you get Hulu and ESPN+ you will be able to watch the Bruins out of market?

I have NESN Go because I log in with my cable account.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
So as long as you get Hulu and ESPN+ you will be able to watch the Bruins out of market?

I have NESN Go because I log in with my cable account.

ESPN+ is replacing NHL.tv so yes. ( TNT/TBS games no )

The hook is ESPN+ gives you so much more than hockey.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Reactions: LSCII

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I feel like I am being strong armed by the universe to give the Disney monopoly my money. I could live without the UFC because I had hockey and motorsports to fill the void. I can't live without the NHL and the UFC and the fact they put these events behind a pay wall is beyond gross.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I feel like I am being strong armed by the universe to give the Disney monopoly my money. I could live without the UFC because I had hockey and motorsports to fill the void. I can't live without the NHL and the UFC and the fact they put these events behind a pay wall is beyond gross.

If you don't already have it, get the bundle that includes Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu. It's not that much more, and you get 2 additional streaming services bundled in. Plus Hulu has Letterkenny...

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
If you don't already have it, get the bundle that includes Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu. It's not that much more, and you get 2 additional streaming services bundled in. Plus Hulu has Letterkenny...

I don't want Disney+ though because there's nothing I want to watch on it. I don't necessarily want Hulu either because I would only watch Seinfeld on there and that's it.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't want Disney+ though because there's nothing I want to watch on it. I don't necessarily want Hulu either because I would only watch Seinfeld on there and that's it.

Well never mind then....:laugh:

Hulu has a lot of great shows. Letterkenny, Future man, The Great, Handmaids tale, etc.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I lmao.
5D736E93-BB48-4068-9A6D-09A5226E0B4A.jpeg

Reactions: Alicat

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Mazz is the most annoying part of that show, and the contempt he has for the fans and teams in this area is very obvious. I get Felger talks that up, but for him it's just schtick. For Mazz, he means it. If they could ever get Felger a better sidekick, it would be great. Someone like Holly or even Rich Keefe.
Holly was the best radio guy in town. Still is and he doesn’t do radio anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad