*OFFICIAL* Saginaw Spirit 2013-14 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overeasy

Oct 9, 2013
Bay city
"We have chapel services, all voluntary, and Terry would come to them," Rev. Chuck Jacobson said. "He was always happy, always laughing. That's why this doesn't make sense.

"This morning, I looked up a verse in Proverbs that said to trust in the Lord with all our hearts and lean not on our own understanding. That was a perfect verse because we don't understand why this happened. Only God and Terry know what he was thinking and what happened."

Jacobson rode to the funeral on the Saginaw Spirit bus.

"We are counseling them, and each day they seem to be getting better," Jacobson said of the team. "Hockey is a very close-knit family. They look out for each other. When someone falls, another person lifts them up.

"These players are doing that. Now they have to ask themselves what they can learn from this. What do we do now? How will we deal with this in the future? Maybe it's as simple as this. When someone asks how you're doing, you don't have to say, 'OK.'"

Friends, teammates and family gathered outside the funeral home after a hearse took Trafford away for burial. Few left, opting instead to exchange stories, hugs and plenty of tears before going home.

Sonny Crockett

May 2, 2012
Ontario
Also to note. Steve Simmonds of the Toronto Sun reported that Gilbert and Paliafito were not in attendance. This is obviously where you got your information, did he check the second floor video room where the team were originally asked to sit by the funeral directors before the family asked them to the front row ??

If you attended the service you would have known that Gilbert and Paliafito where no where to be found.

Last edited:

Sonny Crockett

May 2, 2012
Ontario
Overeasy, a link to the news article is sufficient and an explaination why you think this is important? I scoured the internet and I have read every possible article written and I can appreciate what Steve Simmonds has to say.

It's hard to move on from this when you can't admit that there is a problem. This did not just happen, there were a chain of events that preceded the result. For instance, an alcoholic can get counseling for his addiction but if he doesn't think that he has a problem its a waste of time.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Terry's girlfriend said he had been depressed for years. It's not something that happened in the week or two before his death. Some people hide this issue for years without others realizing there was anything is wrong. To try and pin someone's mental issues or lay blame on others is incorrect. Terry broke a team rule and was sent home. With the pressure these kids have trying to live up to their expectations and the expectations of others and then to add having being severely depressed he made a bad choice in dealing with the issue. Once again I think it's wrong to blame this on the team management. Hopefully the league find some better way of dealing with depression.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Terry's girlfriend said he had been depressed for years. It's not something that happened in the week or two before his death. Some people hide this issue for years without others realizing there was anything is wrong. To try and pin someone's mental issues or lay blame on others is incorrect. Terry broke a team rule and was sent home. With the pressure these kids have trying to live up to their expectations and the expectations of others and then to add having being severely depressed he made a bad choice in dealing with the issue. Once again I think it's wrong to blame this on the team management. Hopefully the league find some better way of dealing with depression.

Fact is the team broke league rules for hiding the pot somiking from the league and then lied to police during an on going missing person case. Let's not forget other members of the Spirit were caught smoking dope as well and never missed a shift. The Trafford family also chose to have a different hockey jersey other then a spirit jersey by the casket. I think that sais exactly how the family feels about the Saginaw organization.

Sonny Crockett

May 2, 2012
Ontario
Why is it that Trafford confided in his girlfriend about his supposed depression? I don't buy the depression theory. Yes I'm sure that he was disappointed that he still had not been drafted but ask any OHL player that's not drafted if they are happy about the fact that they have not been drafted in their 4th year. Does it mean that they are depressed and have mental issues?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Nobody is blaming the organization, people want the organization to accept some responsibility. Judging by your posts you're just enabling them.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Nobody is blaming the organization, people want the organization to accept some responsibility. Judging by your posts you're just enabling them.

Razor no one enabling any organization on this forum. These forums a mostly discussions by average hockey fans. I think most organizations would take anything discussed here with a grain of salt. Unless you know something the rest of us do not have access to. Maybe I take some of the post out of context when they try to lay blame on the coach and GM for mishandling a situation that no one really knows the real truth about. I personally went through the same situation with a family member a few years back and understand what the Trafford's are going through to an extent. Took me seven years before I could discuss it with anyone.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I understand where people are upset with the way things were handled in this tragic incident. I feel extremely sorry for Terry and particularly his family and friends who are left to deal with this. There always seems to be a lingering guilt when these thing take place that somehow you or someone else could have done some thing to save the person and failed to do it. Its something that stays with you for the rest of your life.

Overeasy

Oct 9, 2013
Bay city
I think everyone owns a part in this including the Spirit. Part of what I meant by moving on is to start addressing the issues about reporting behavior, support and monitoring of all players as well as possible mentorships. Gregg Sutch has made some good points in his article including a radio broadcast that makes some good points. He mentioned in his radio broadcast that he like many other players keep their mouths shut so they don't put their future in jeopardy.

Sonny Crockett

May 2, 2012
Ontario
I think everyone owns a part in this including the Spirit. Part of what I meant by moving on is to start addressing the issues about reporting behavior, support and monitoring of all players as well as possible mentorships. Gregg Sutch has made some good points in his article including a radio broadcast that makes some good points. He mentioned in his radio broadcast that he like many other players keep their mouths shut so they don't put their future in jeopardy.

Don't get me wrong, some of your points are valid and Gregg Sutch drove it home with his fine article. What has the Saginaw Spirit done to address the issues? There are still players that were involved that have gone unpunished. As an organization they should be doing everything in their power to show the public that this is a serious issue and not just sweeping it under the rug. Their actions and how they handled the situation made it a public issue and at this point and they have done nothing to accept responsibility and neither have the players involved. I'm sure that nothing has been filed with the OHL in reference to those that violated not only Spirit rules but also the rules and regulations of the OHL.

Overeasy

Oct 9, 2013
Bay city
Don't get me wrong, some of your points are valid and Gregg Sutch drove it home with his fine article. What has the Saginaw Spirit done to address the issues? There are still players that were involved that have gone unpunished. As an organization they should be doing everything in their power to show the public that this is a serious issue and not just sweeping it under the rug. Their actions and how they handled the situation made it a public issue and at this point and they have done nothing to accept responsibility and neither have the players involved. I'm sure that nothing has been filed with the OHL in reference to those that violated not only Spirit rules but also the rules and regulations of the OHL.

I think the timing of everything plays a big part in how the organization will deal with it. I am sure Dave Branch will address / investigate the situation when the Spirit are finished for the season. Situations like this it is not proper to react on emotion, allow things to settle then do the proper due diligence. As far as reporting to the OHL, you should now that there are a number of situations that get swept under the rug. The only time it becomes public is when there is a police investigation. Hence the past league sexual assaults, current substance abuse by players on teams that are not reported. Basically, as Don Cherry expressed, what could have went wrong did !

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Why is it that Trafford confided in his girlfriend about his supposed depression? I don't buy the depression theory. Yes I'm sure that he was disappointed that he still had not been drafted but ask any OHL player that's not drafted if they are happy about the fact that they have not been drafted in their 4th year. Does it mean that they are depressed and have mental issues?

Don't buy the depression theory? I'm sorry but am I the only one that caught that? Being depressed has nothing to do with wether or not he was signed by an NHL team or not. Depression is bigger than hockey. But the culture of hockey says to not mention it and to hide it at all costs. It was probably the reason why he confided in his girlfriend only. There is a stigma associated with depression and finding someone that you are willing to tell that you are dealing with that kind of problem is near impossible. And you can learn to put on an act very easily to hide the truth and no one but that one person will know. Depression is not about hockey, but the stereotypes that are associated with the game make it very difficult to deal with. You may seem like the happiest guy in the world but on the inside you're the complete opposite.

So you may not "buy" the depression theory, but it is very real.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Such an intense game. Paterson is the real deal. Thought Saginaw pretty much played as good as they can and erie fought hard.

bigdogsnipedaddy

Mar 2, 2012
Hi, can anyone give me some ideas about where to go for dinner prior to the game, somewhat near the rink? thank you.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Cody Payne with the Gordie Howe hat trick....that's the Spirit.

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
-That was one heck of a game

-Erie outplayed us badly most of the game. Looked like we were skating in sand a lot of the time.

-2 goals from Sadowy, 2 from Lodge, and the winner from Payne. That's what we needed. Can't win a series with one line.

-Those two soft ones that Paterson let in (3 and 4) really seemed to deflat the guys. I really didn't think we'd come back from that. Great job by him for makin big saves after that, and for the guys fighting back and getting the W.

-We are just a few goals away from being up 3-0 in this series. Beating their number one goalie and then scoring the game winner on the backup who was beating us could be the momentum shift we need.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
-That was one heck of a game

-Erie outplayed us badly most of the game. Looked like we were skating in sand a lot of the time.

-2 goals from Sadowy, 2 from Lodge, and the winner from Payne. That's what we needed. Can't win a series with one line.

-Those two soft ones that Paterson let in (3 and 4) really seemed to deflat the guys. I really didn't think we'd come back from that. Great job by him for makin big saves after that, and for the guys fighting back and getting the W.

-We are just a few goals away from being up 3-0 in this series. Beating their number one goalie and then scoring the game winner on the backup who was beating us could be the momentum shift we need.

Wouldn't call Dansk the number one anymore.

Credit to Saginaw, they are fighting hard. Paterson is making things interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce