*OFFICIAL* Saginaw Spirit 2013-14 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Saginaw team lied to the media releasing statement Terry was not kicked off the team. Funny how after Roy Trafford sais in an interview the team asked his son not to return that Goslin then changes his tune that Terry was in deed kicked off the team.

What was the purpose of lieing?

Goslin also admits it wasn't Terry's first team violation but it was his first offense with some thing other then alcohol. What I really want to know is why did he fail to notify the league about this denying Terry help from professionals. What happens in Saginaw stays in Saginaw, we will take care of it. Well they sure handled it really good

Last edited:

AP90

Mar 13, 2014
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/13/ohl-player-terry-trafford-died-of-asphyxiation---reports

Now that the autopsy has come out...has it crossed anyones mind that this may have been an accident? The possibility that he may have had no where/didn't want to go anywhere to sleep and slept in his car with the car running which at a long period of time can cause asphyxiation from the carbon monoxide getting into the vehicle?

I believe the way the spirit did the release was not the way it should be done on any team or league and a few things along the way also seem to be not the right way to handle things.

I also believe people shouldn't point fingers about the death until all the facts come forward.

This should be a time to mourn and remember all the great things about a young man that loved a game that many of also love too.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Saginaw team lied to the media releasing statement Terry was not kicked off the team. Funny how after Roy Trafford sais in an interview the team asked his son not to return that Goslin then changes his tune that Terry was in deed kicked off the team.

What was the purpose of lieing?

Goslin also admits it wasn't Terry's first team violation but it was his first offense with some thing other then alcohol. What I really want to know is why did he fail to notify the league about this denying Terry help from professionals. What happens in Saginaw stays in Saginaw, we will take care of it. Well they sure handled it really good

I was in a similar position as Terry with an individual but not a hockey player.I made the best decisions I thought at the time and had a similar outcome.WHY.Because I thought we could handle it without going to the professionals and keeping it low profile.The fix only lasted a short time.Terry and the Spirit organization like myself has to live with our decisions for the rest of our lives.Dont think for a moment that if I could relive the situation I would but can't and I am sure the Spirit organization would agree.Its easy for people like you and others who may not have ever been in this situation to throw stones.Please,I am reliving it as I have been following the story.Sleepless nights started again.Hopefully lessons can be learned here by everybody.My thoughts and prayers goes to the family,friends,fans and the Spirit organization.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Great game by the guys tonight. Almost completed the comeback from 5-1 down. They may have lost 6-5 but that doesn't matter. The fight in them is what was important.

Tomorrow is sure to be an emotional game. First home game since Terry's death. Hopefully Spirit Nation is out in numbers to show their support for these guys.

Sonny Crockett

May 2, 2012
Ontario
Erie in 4... Mentally this team is exhausted and will not be able to take their game to the next level. Let's not kid ourselves, the Soo gave the Spirit the last game on a silver platter to think otherwise would be foolish. The continuation of the torture that these players are enduring is terrible. Garber and Gosslin should be ashamed at the display of insensitivity that this organization has shown in the light of the events. This is a volitile environment and at this time one of the worst places to play in the OHL. In addition a complete overhaul of the organization which includes the removal of Gilbert and Paliafito are in order.

Last edited:

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
I think the Spirit might just fool a few people. The players are going to come in and play hard and rally around the fact that the best place for them to be right now is on the ice.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Erie in 4... Mentally this team is exhausted and will not be able to take their game to the next level. Let's not kid ourselves, the Soo gave the Spirit the last game on a silver platter to think otherwise would be foolish. The continuation of the torture that these players are enduring is terrible. Garber and Gosslin should be ashamed at the display of insensitivity that this organization has shown in the light of the events. This is a volitile environment and at this time one of the worst places to play in the OHL. In addition a complete overhaul of the organization which includes the removal of Gilbert and Paliafito are in order.

"So instead of trying to sell to these kids and their parents on a fast track to the NHL by joining the league, let's start growing these kids as human beings. Let's develop them into well-rounded men who are prepared for the future, and that's not just on the ice. I was fortunate to have played for Saginaw Spirit head coach Greg Gilbert who helped round me out into a decent individual.

It's too bad there isn't more of this going on in hockey because I know far too many guys who only know hockey and nothing else."- Gregg Sutch

Glad you went and checked out the article I posted Sonny.

Sonny Crockett

May 2, 2012
Ontario
"So instead of trying to sell to these kids and their parents on a fast track to the NHL by joining the league, let's start growing these kids as human beings. Let's develop them into well-rounded men who are prepared for the future, and that's not just on the ice. I was fortunate to have played for Saginaw Spirit head coach Greg Gilbert who helped round me out into a decent individual.

It's too bad there isn't more of this going on in hockey because I know far too many guys who only know hockey and nothing else."- Gregg Sutch

Glad you went and checked out the article I posted Sonny.

You have 23 players you should be listening to and not taking the opinion of one. I read Gregg Sutch's article and it is very well written and you know what, I'm happy that he'll be writing for Yahoo Sports because his writing is incredible and I agree with what he says but he was one of Gilberts favorites and his comments about Gilbert can be interpreted as being biased. I'm sure that his disability had nothing to do with the way that Gilbert treated him. His stats speak for themselves!

BTW... His disability had everything to do with the way that Gilbert treated him!

What Gregg Sutch describes is currently available, it's called the college route!

Last edited:

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
I would think that Saginaw ownership will clean house in the off season or they may be hard pressed getting players to report. I have heard word that many current parrents of current team members aren't happy with how the team handled every thing.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You have 23 players you should be listening to and not taking the opinion of one. I read Gregg Sutch's article and it is very well written and you know what, I'm happy that he'll be writing for Yahoo Sports because his writing is incredible and I agree with what he says but he was one of Gilberts favorites and his comments about Gilbert can be interpreted as being biased. I'm sure that his disability had nothing to do with the way that Gilbert treated him. His stats speak for themselves!

BTW... His disability had everything to do with the way that Gilbert treated him!

What Gregg Sutch describes is currently available, it's called the college route!

Then you have the NHL Greg Gilbert who was coaching Calgary and Craig Berube was about to play his 1000th game in the NHL for the season opener, his family and close friends all made the trip had a suite, hotels booked. Gilbert makes Berube a healthy scratch.

Styx and Stones

Mar 28, 2012
According to the Toronto Sun, neither the coach nor the GM attended the service today. I'm sorry, but if true, that is absolutely disgusting.

Styx and Stones

Mar 28, 2012
That would explain things. It would be a terrible thing to carry knowing that parents blamed you, at least in part, for their son's death. My condolences to all involved. The hockey fraternity is all suffering over this. Let this be a teachable moment for the entire community.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
This was a sad emotional day for the Trafford family. No one posting on this board knows how the young players are responding to this tragedy and whether it was too emotional for them to attend. The team is probably going through a lot of issues with this death.

Overeasy

Oct 9, 2013
Bay city
Grieving is an awful thing to go through. No one should be forced to attend something that would further interrupt the healing process. Players that attended were probably the closest players to Terry and needed that closure. The entire management team were in attendance as well as about 9 current and some past players.
Those not in attendance had their reasons and should not be questioned as to why they didn't attend. Pointing fingers will not get you the answers you need. Unfortunately the only information being shared are rumours and not facts. Its time to move on, the organization and players are trying to do this, but heartless people continue to spread "what they heard", give it a rest and keep your animosity to your self.
Further to my previous post and what Gregg Sutch mentioned. There are plenty of organizations that keep things from the league, parents and press. No different then universities that hide the reports of sexual assaults. Saginaw Spirit are on the hot seat right now because of a tragedy. Everyone needs to learn from this. Spreading discontent will not bring Terry back !

I was speaking with a GM yesterday who mentioned that there are players he has been involved with who have suffering from depression and anxiety. They have been told by their agents to not say a word because it will effect them from moving on to the next level. I am sure the parents are / maybe the last to know. Its a business with high stakes and dreams with high stakes, the victims are left behind.

Overeasy

Oct 9, 2013
Bay city
Also to note. Steve Simmonds of the Toronto Sun reported that Gilbert and Paliafito were not in attendance. This is obviously where you got your information, did he check the second floor video room where the team were originally asked to sit by the funeral directors before the family asked them to the front row ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad