Music: Official ProgRock-ProgMetal-TechDeath Thread

Bobo420

Jun 13, 2007
Holy s**t where has this been all my life??!!! :amazed:

People throw the word "eclectic" around a lot to describe music but this band simply defines it. Thanks a ton for the post.

Prog thread already paying off. :yo:

Hahaha you're welcome, you've probably never heard of them because they usually go independent on their releases, but the musicianship is simply ridiculous, seen them live 3 times, and I hope they're writing new material soon cause I need my fix!!!

Bobo420

Jun 13, 2007
More awesome Quebec prog metal, Martyr from Trois Rivieres:

This is a top 3 prog album of all time for me personally, also check out their previous album Warp Zone.

For those who don't know their guitarist Daniel Mongrain plays for Voivod now.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'll just leave this right here...

There was a time maybe 3, 4 years ago when I thought I might get tired of that album at some point, but it never happened. I still listen to it once or twice a week at least and I still find new things to like about it on a pretty regular basis.

Thank Odin this thread exists so I know what not to check out.

I just checked out your mom. :p:

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I will post this here because I'm just now rediscovering this album after a few years. I always thought of his Crystal Planet/Engines of Creation era as extremely progressive. Particularly the laid-back stuff like this one.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I hate YES because I hate the sound of the organ. Which unfortunately makes most Prog rock unlistenable to me. I appreciate having this thread though, it is always nice to find some new interesting music.

Someone should rename this the Hammond organ appreciation thread. :naughty:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I will post this here because I'm just now rediscovering this album after a few years. I always thought of his Crystal Planet/Engines of Creation era as extremely progressive. Particularly the laid-back stuff like this one.

Interesting to see someone post Satriani. I own everything from him and most of his albums would not be prog rock but I could see it in those two.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I see those two albums as his "Blow by Blow" and "Wired". Easily his most creative phase, IMO, although I haven't listened to anything new he's done in probably 10-12 years.

Speaking of Blow by Blow and Wired, those are pretty influential albums for progressive music recently, especially the djent, jazzy metal kind of stuff.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
would this qualify? it does for me anyway...

btw, the AiC guys are making cameos appereances all along the video...

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Anekdoten was a heavier version of Red-era King Crimson (flirting with metal) in the early 90s and then evolved into more of a sombre pop band. Here's examples of both the former and the latter.

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
You're the worst human in history.

Seriously, this is the best album ever made.

Definitely near the top. For the guy who hates Hammond, try Relayer.

Anekdoten was a heavier version of Red-era King Crimson (flirting with metal) in the early 90s and then evolved into more of a sombre pop band. Here's examples of both the former and the latter.

Nucleus is in my top 10 all time. I remember seeing them at ProgFest 94 - awesome.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
For those who don't know their guitarist Daniel Mongrain plays for Voivod now.

he was also part of the Capharnaum project, which put out the amazing Fractured album (well, if you can make it through Matt Heafy's vocals), but the instrumental part is ridiculous:

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Some of these suggestions are great!

Of course, a prog-metal thread needs to have Dream Theater:

I'm a big Queensryche fan (Geoff Tate kills):

I would consider this pretty proggy:

Reactions: Number34

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad