Prospect Info: Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Quickie.... do we still hold rights to Perchurskiy.. and in that case how long will this be so? What are the rules anyway for a player who has only gotten a pro PTO with WBS and an amateur PTO with the Pens?

Seems he is lights out at the Russian second league level. Can't imagine he isn't a KHL goalie next season. Would be interesting to have him perform at that level and be available to us. Still just 22.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
D'Agostino may well walk to an organization where he has a better chance...but I'm sure the Penguins will try to sign him. I'm not so sure about Velischek or Seymour. I think one of that trio will get signed and the preference is going to be D'Agger.

Quickie.... do we still hold rights to Perchurskiy.. and in that case how long will this be so? What are the rules anyway for a player who has only gotten a pro PTO with WBS and an amateur PTO with the Pens?

Seems he is lights out at the Russian second league level. Can't imagine he isn't a KHL goalie next season. Would be interesting to have him perform at that level and be available to us. Still just 22.

For the time being teams don't lose their Russian player rights as long as they're unsigned or RFAs. We hold Pechurskiy's rights indefinitely. I doubt he ever comes back over...but if Magnitogorsk isn't going to give him a chance and the Penguins promise him the starting job in WBS he may well come over...but we're not going to offer him that. He's not going to be here to play back-up or in Wheeling.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
For the time being teams don't lose their Russian player rights as long as they're unsigned or RFAs. We hold Pechurskiy's rights indefinitely. I doubt he ever comes back over...but if Magnitogorsk isn't going to give him a chance and the Penguins promise him the starting job in WBS he may well come over...but we're not going to offer him that. He's not going to be here to play back-up or in Wheeling.

Thanks mate :handclap: .
Nothing but wait and see then, but at his age and with having been getting some outings for Russian youth NTs in the past, he could still become an interesting asset for us. Don't think he'd swap a KHL starter job for WBS though, but backup for Fleury down the line.... maybe. Anyway, gotta make the KHL and succeed there first of course.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
any chance a guy like Ruopp goes back as an overager? I don't think Velischek or Seymour will be signed.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
The Seymour pick are still strange as hell to me. Im ok with taking a stay at home defenseman. But an overager like Seymour creates a problem since we need to sign him, cause i doubt some team will use an overager spot on him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Seymour pick are still strange as hell to me. Im ok with taking a stay at home defenseman. But an overager like Seymour creates a problem since we need to sign him, cause i doubt some team will use an overager spot on him.

The Seymour pick was strange to me because I never saw anything in his game that screamed NHL potential. I honestly don't see what the scouting staff saw in him to use a draft pick on him.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
where are they in terms of contract limit? couldn't they park the likes of Velischek and Seymour in Wheeling with Reid McNeil?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Sometimes it's not exactly what you see on the ice, but where you think a guy has the ability to go.

People knocked Lucic a ton in his draft year, if I remember right. Not only did he make the NHL in warp speed, but he was an impact player.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA

I think that he was just as good last year if I remember Burg's updates correctly. He is still in the second tier league so he may come over. I doubt it because of it being close to home and his time previously spent in NA.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Boston U on NBCSports tonight, though I think O'Connor is slated to get the start. Upside to this is that Maguire will likely be sitting on the bench with a hat on so if they pan over the BU bench, you can now mentally associate a face with a hat and goalie equipment on to a name and he'll no longer be faceless 4th round pick Sean Maguire to you and yours.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Boston U on NBCSports tonight, though I think O'Connor is slated to get the start. Upside to this is that Maguire will likely be sitting on the bench with a hat on so if they pan over the BU bench, you can now mentally associate a face with a hat and goalie equipment on to a name and he'll no longer be faceless 4th round pick Sean Maguire to you and yours.

I'll be keeping an eye on whether or not he opens the bench door for his teammates and whether he gives guys a pat of encouragement after periods. Will post my scouting report later tonight.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
D'Agostino may well walk to an organization where he has a better chance...but I'm sure the Penguins will try to sign him. I'm not so sure about Velischek or Seymour. I think one of that trio will get signed and the preference is going to be D'Agger.

any chance a guy like Ruopp goes back as an overager? I don't think Velischek or Seymour will be signed.

Agree with both of you on Velishcheck. I could see them perhaps signing him if they truly want to convert him to a forward or a swing-man, but if not, he'll probably stay unsigned or moved for little (conditional pick/future considerations). I also agree that D'Agostino will be signed by the Pens, unless they were to trade him. Yes they are deep on D, but I can't see D'Agostino "holding out" and not signing with the Pens until he becomes a FA, if the Pens convey to him that they want him on their team. Plus the Pens seem like they are high on this guy and think he has some upside, and have somewhat of a relationship with him by having him at camp. So I think they will try to sign him so they can develop him as a pro, even if it's ultimate as trade bait.

Regarding Ruopp & Seymour: these are two guys whom I think could both be candidates to resign with another team as overagers (i.e. like Muzzin did). Sure, they could make the jump to WBS or Wheeling, but one or both of them could be better off staying in their respective junior leagues and being leaders for them. We'll see, and I don't think it will be huge difference maker for their trajectories either way.

The Seymour pick was strange to me because I never saw anything in his game that screamed NHL potential. I honestly don't see what the scouting staff saw in him to use a draft pick on him.

Ray Shero said he wanted a denter. Seymour was drafted because they saw him in that light. While I'm sure they would love for him to be the next Markov or Kaberle found late in the draft, I think they knew they were getting a player with limited upside, but one who may also bring one specific element they were looking for. (and remember, at that time, Samuelsson wasn't looking particularly great, and who knows how some of our other "tough" Dmen like Ruopp may turn out, or how long a guy like Engelland will be around). Last year was a pretty weak draft year, so I don't really have any problem with this selection.

I wonder how things will shake out too if they can manage to sign Sustr.

Very simple: if they sign him and believe he's a top-4 guy starting next year in WBS (or even as a starter in the NHL), everyone gets moved down a notch and you likely see another one or two of our other prospects go out the door in a trade (or some of our "fringe" prospects mentioned above not signed). If they think Sustr can become the next Chara or Myers (the good Myers), then maybe they move out a guy like Morrow or Dumoulin for good young forward.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'll be keeping an eye on whether or not he opens the bench door for his teammates and whether he gives guys a pat of encouragement after periods. Will post my scouting report later tonight.

I anxiously await to hear about Sean's good guy status, he better open that damn door and give them pats on the back for encouragement.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Maatta had a rough game against Erie last night. He didn't have much help from the starting goaltender though. I don't think Harrington made any mistakes.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What's up with Pouliot? He's still not back from injury yet. He's missed close to 20 games this season already.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It's the Pittsburgh prospect way. You have to be hurt at long points of time in crucial moments of your development.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Jason Zucker, (former Denver teammate of Beau Bennett, and best player on that Denver team) is getting a call up by Minny after playing great hockey (looking at his stats) in Houston. Talk about speed to burn, the kid can fly.

Oops......meant this for the NHL thread. Oh well, I will leave it here.

Last edited:

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
What's up with Pouliot? He's still not back from injury yet. He's missed close to 20 games this season already.

I read today that Pouliot will be out for another month or so but will return in time for the playoffs. Portland is in 1st place in the entire league, ten points ahead of the next best team. They won't rush him back from whatever injury he really has.

In better news, Zlobin had another 3 point game, giving him 15 in 8 so far this month. Mantha and him are now 7th and 8th in league scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad