Official panic thread

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Staois and Andlauer came in saying there was lots of work to be done, so their expectations were always going different than the fanbase
I wonder how much work is needed in all the departments. It must be overwhelming at times.

Reactions: Emrasie

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Is it the Goalie's fault? or DJ's fault or Dorion's fault? I can't keep track anymore..

No point in assigning blame, not where the energy is needed. The current management team has been in place long enough to know what direction they have to go, and it begins with the trade deadline, and trading impending UFAs for picks and prospects is the bare minimum…. Much more needs to be addressed……. can bigger move be done at the deadline, perhaps, but there is a bit of cap space to work with, and if an offer is made, and the GM wants to make a move that he feels is appropriate then he should, but he should not force anything just to make his mark …. There will be more time and cap space to work with in the offseason

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The players were not ready to play, Friday vs a team that had lost 14 games in a row…. Is that on them, or the coaching staff?

Perhaps both, in the sense that J Martin is an interim coach that everyone knows is not going to be the Coach come training camp….

He is not motivated to earn that job, he doesn’t want it, and the players know he will not be there as well…

so are they motivated to stay in Ottawa, by making a good impression on J Martin?

So Both are kinda in Limbo, and yes you’ll have an occasional picture perfect game, but they’re out balanced by the stinkers vs beatable teams….

This is why I would have perfered the rookie GM would have, at the very least, appointed an interim who would have been in the running to become the full time next head coach….

or would have hired the next Coach, from the available candidates…. Who is to say the available candidates in the off season will be better?

This would have had a more meaningful impact on the roster…. But now there seems to be more excuses to draw from, for the mounting number losses we’re seeing after 33 games under the tutelage of J Martin.

That’s 19 losses and 14 wins… for a .454 Pts%…. Just slightly better than the .440 Pts% under DJ Smith (if my math is correct)

That’s now 7 losses in the last 10 games…. That is not the trend anyone wants to see.

So a month earlier I used the substitute teacher analogy to voice my opinion on the coaching situation, and how it could have been handled differently…..

I kinda backed off on that, when there were a stretch of improved play, and the team (under Martin) returned to the .500 Pts% level….

But that has not been sustained and here we are, a loss or two from being under the .440 Pts% record under DJ Smith.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
All we can do is be patient. If SS and Pouly can pull off a miracle trade and/or signing for a number one goalie, fantastic. If not, we have no other choice than to start next season with the same tandem... and we hope for the best.

I think some tweaks on D are likely, but it's also possible, we enter next season with the same core. SS doesn't strike me as someone who's going to take big swings. If a trade opportunity doesn't make perfect sense, he probably won't take it. Many of you probably like this, but then be prepared to start next season with the same roster.

In the meantime, we build from the draft. A new coach next fall will probably breathe some life as well. As long as they pick the right one.

Reactions: Emrasie

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
A starting goalie who can get them the Playoffs for the next 3 years solves 85% of this teams problems
I think it will be enormous. Not just for GSAA translating to wins mathematically, but for how the team plays. The Grant Fur documentary (Making Coco) was eye opening in this respect.

Reactions: Tuna99

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I think it's more than just a goalie that is needed. Need a good RD and need to stabilize our defense. Teams that do well and win the Cup even don't always have a quality, name recognized goaltender. They find success with an average goaltender and by playing strong, consistent team D.

The Senators haven't had any consistency this year. There's talent there, but they don't seem mentally strong (or something) to stay in the groove for long stretches.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
No point in assigning blame, not where the energy is needed. The current management team has been in place long enough to know what direction they have to go, and it begins with the trade deadline, and trading impending UFAs for picks and prospects is the bare minimum…. Much more needs to be addressed……. can bigger move be done at the deadline, perhaps, but there is a bit of cap space to work with, and if an offer is made, and the GM wants to make a move that he feels is appropriate then he should, but he should not force anything just to make his mark …. There will be more time and cap space to work with in the offseason
Funny because all I've seen you do is blame the new management team for moving too slowly to fix a problem that has existed for years.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Is it the Goalie's fault? or DJ's fault or Dorion's fault? I can't keep track anymore..

All of it. Add in shallow defense and poor team defense to the list, as well. And a shallow organization within management (amateur and pro scouting, office people, etc).

If it was a singular issue, it would be easy to fix.

Reactions: DrEasy and Emrasie

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Funny because all I've seen you do is blame the new management team for moving too slowly to fix a problem that has existed for years.
Funny how you only blame the previous management, and give the current management a big gold A pass, for a job well done.

how dare anyone criticise the current management … they must hate the new management…

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Anybody panicking about the Sens needs to let some stuff go.

They suck. Whose fault it is at this point seems irrelevant.

The fact that management isn't panicking isn't really a surprise either.

We will need a new coach, a new goalie and a turnover in players.

These needs speak more to a rebuilding or retooling than it does to a simple change of one or two positions.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
There are some good pieces there locked up to great contracts. Hopefully management can key in on the players who want to be here and have that drive to succeed. The guys who are fragile mentally or are looking to get out . . . move on.

Its going to take some shrewd decision making. They gotta figure out the goaltending and the coaching going forward. Dorion definitely mortgaged the future in a big way, and handicapped the team with the Korpisalo contract. But it is possible to get out from under it.

It's not all lost. It's not promising, but hopefully Staios knows what he's doing. This will be a very telling offseason, need a very strong draft, a big trade or two and maybe a couple free agents to patch the holes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad