Official Oil Kings 2017-18 Thread

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Vancouver Giants and Tyler Benson are in town tonight to play the OKs.

I am sure it must have been posted already, but he had a 4 point night yesterday against Calgary! Perhaps our drafting luck is finally changing!

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Yup. We just don't have the offensive punch to compete every night, never mind the lack of quality depth at all positions. Have to batten the hatches and play tighter defensively until reinforcements arrive in the next few years.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Attended the game last night and watched the Kings get a real character win. They ended up down 1-0 against the Saskatoon Blades after a fluke shot deflected off of Robertson's stick and in. It was tough slugging for the first two periods, but they made adjustments in the 3rd. Edmonton assaulted the Blades goalie with 19 shots in the period, and were rewarded with four goals (two of them empty netters).

Great game all in all, except for the biased reffing. Blades got away with numerous cheapshots all night long while the Kings were nabbed for every little infraction. But justice won out and the Kings won while going 5 for 5 on the penalty kill.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
It's frustrating and annoying that you can't print tickets off the OKs' website earlier than 48 hours before a game. It cant be that hard to change that.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Looks like the team is starting the rebuild. Just traded captain Aaron Irving to Everett for 20yo F Graham Millar, 16yo F Brett Kemp and a 2018 1st round pick.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Interesting. This tells me that they're giving up the season and that Everett feels it's able to make some noise in these playoffs. I think they should have done this last season - traded graduating and older players at the deadline.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Interesting. This tells me that they're giving up the season and that Everett feels it's able to make some noise in these playoffs. I think they should have done this last season - traded graduating and older players at the deadline.

Agreed but i dont mind them doing it this year and maybe next year if we can add another high 2018 pick

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
It stings losing a guy like Irving, especially how they've exceeded expectations this year.

That said they are rebuilding and I liked the haul they got. It would pain me to trade Bauer, but if it's for a similar package I'd be happy.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
It stings losing a guy like Irving, especially how they've exceeded expectations this year.

That said they are rebuilding and I liked the haul they got. It would pain me to trade Bauer, but if it's for a similar package I'd be happy.

Unfortunately that's exactly what happened today. Bauer and a 7th round pick to Kamloops for 99 born RHD Conner McDonald, 2nd and 5th round picks. Not as big a haul as Irving, but McDonald solidifies their D for the next couple years. They should take a step forward next year and be a real threat in two years, especially if they can get a high end import forward.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
Sucks to let go of Irving and Bauer, I doubt we make the playoffs now. Realistically though, we were never going to get out of the first round. It's worth it to load up for a real run at the title in a few years.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
If anyone from the Oil Kings reads this, it's annoying and inconvenient that we can't print tickets until 48 hours before game time. Please change that.

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
If anyone from the Oil Kings reads this, it's annoying and inconvenient that we can't print tickets until 48 hours before game time. Please change that.

It applies to basically every event now at Rogers place IIRC. It helps to prevent scalpers. Not just an Oil Kings issue.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
It applies to basically every event now at Rogers place IIRC. It helps to prevent scalpers. Not just an Oil Kings issue.

Shouldn't have to be an Oil Kings issue at all, though. Never been any scalpers at all for an Oil Kings game. I hope they change course on this issue, as not all of us have printer access at home.

Also, please win a game. Sucks that the season was torched so early.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
OKs had a pretty good game today but couldn't beak through and lost 2-0 to Moose Jaw. LOL, their team bus was parked in Spruce Grove today.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
http://oilkings.ca/article/oil-kings-announce-new-jersey-for-2017-18

Oil Kings introducing a white version of the black/green third jersey next season. I've been expecting this to happen for a while now given the popularity of the third jersey. They'll be using all four jerseys next season, but I expect that eventually they'll do away with the original white jersey and just use the black/green/white as the primaries with the red as a throwback.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
They just announced an away version of the third jersey for next season.

So stoked, I love that jersey design.

EDIT

Beaten by seconds!

I agree. I can see next season being the last for the classics.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Nice! Been waiting for the green and white ever since the black and green was introduced! My favourite jersey in my collection to wear is an autographed pro Dysin Mayo black and green. It's the tuxedo of hockey jerseys. Classy AF.

I hope they can make time for both the originals and the new jersey sets. It would be a shame to lose the iconic crown jersey. Especially after winning the Memorial Cup while wearing it.

Going to have to hit the Oilers locker room sale again this year for a red or white jersey just in case they discontinue them someday soon. Always a lot of good Oil Kings stuff there.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Nice! Been waiting for the green and white ever since the black and green was introduced! My favourite jersey in my collection to wear is an autographed pro Dysin Mayo black and green. It's the tuxedo of hockey jerseys. Classy AF.

I hope they can make time for both the originals and the new jersey sets. It would be a shame to lose the iconic crown jersey. Especially after winning the Memorial Cup while wearing it.

Going to have to hit the Oilers locker room sale again this year for a red or white jersey just in case they discontinue them someday soon. Always a lot of good Oil Kings stuff there.

Did you get the Mayo at a locker room sale? I'm jealous, I don't think they sell named jerseys at the team store.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Did you get the Mayo at a locker room sale? I'm jealous, I don't think they sell named jerseys at the team store.

I did, paid a hefty sum of $350 for it as well, haha. But the pro authentics are a much stronger fabric. I was going to give up and buy a replica and get it customized, but the locker room sale had lots of reds, whites and black/green jerseys for sale last year.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Yeah the reference to playoffs should come out of the thread title, I think. No playoffs for us. I'm not sure if they've won a game since trading Irving and Baddock.

Edit: meant Bauer, not Baddock.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad