Speculation: Official Offseason Thread

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
And the other teams know they'll be taking part of VGK's cap pain away so won't be as generous with the return.

People said the same things when Vegas had to deal Stastny and Schmidt and Fleury. No retention and no sweeteners needed. They won't get full value because of the situation, but there is zero chance they would need to retain on Pacioretty or send a sweetener. With only 1 year left and a lock for 30 goals if healthy, someone will take him.

Lehner might require a sweetener just because there are less possible landing spots coupled with total dollar value remaining.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Heard Marek & Friedman talk that the NHL does not want team's (off season) business to take away from the playoffs, so any announcements of firings/releases (coaches/GMs) may not be until end of each round.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Are Vegas players not available to the media on locker clean out day? Was looking forward to what Jack had to say

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Are Vegas players not available to the media on locker clean out day? Was looking forward to what Jack had to say

They haven't done it yet. Media availability will however only be for "select players". Guessing Jack will be one of them though.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Janmark is a UFA and not counting toward that total already.

But this seems like knee jerk overreaction.

This is the first year of their careers that Stephenson has outperformed Karlsson. He's also only a year younger and he's only signed two more years and Karlsson is signed for five.

Stephenson will need a new deal at 30 and he's already got a Cup and will be looking to cash in for as much as he can for as long as he can considering how relatively little he will have made compared to other players at that point. And his game is reliant on his speed which will likely catch up to him in year one of that new deal.

Not to mention dumping Karlsson after all he's done and meant to the team because of one tough season for the whole team where you want maybe 8-10 more points from him in the 67 games he played isn't a great look or locker room chemistry move at all.
Stephenson was a big scorer in juniors, his upside is in my opinion more than Karlsson. Karlsson's best years may well be behind him, I know his value is more than just his point total, but for his salary he needs to have a lot more than he had this year. In any case, dumping Patches and Lehner makes getting rid of him unnecessary.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I personally wouldn't look at moving Karlsson until the TDL, I'd give him a shot under a new coach, plus I like what he gives defensively, but and it has been an off year for many, we need more from him offensively.

Reactions: RapidKnight

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Stephenson was a big scorer in juniors, his upside is in my opinion more than Karlsson. Karlsson's best years may well be behind him, I know his value is more than just his point total, but for his salary he needs to have a lot more than he had this year. In any case, dumping Patches and Lehner makes getting rid of him unnecessary.
If we're basing upside based on how they were as juniors then Karlsson has a higher upside. If you think Stepho was a big scorer in juniors, take a look over at what Karlsson was doing as a junior.

Moving Karlsson because he has a down-year(seems he might have been playing injured, too) while Stephenson has a career year, is very short-sighted. Not to mention Karlsson was literally Vegas' best forward in the 2021 playoffs, too.

Reactions: Lehtonen

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
Karlsson had a rough season but he should bounce back. His 5v5 on-ice shooting percentage was only 5.98 which is far below 8.55 the last 3 seasons so the bounces weren’t going his way. He can still skate pretty well but he only showcases this on the back check for some reason. And do we want Roy as a fill-in second line center? It’s not worth trading him if we need to add assets.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
If we're basing upside based on how they were as juniors then Karlsson has a higher upside. If you think Stepho was a big scorer in juniors, take a look over at what Karlsson was doing as a junior.

Moving Karlsson because he has a down-year(seems he might have been playing injured, too) while Stephenson has a career year, is very short-sighted. Not to mention Karlsson was literally Vegas' best forward in the 2021 playoffs, too.
Karlsson also makes twice what Stephenson does, and Stephenson is signed for 2 more years at well below market rates. Not that I want to lose Karlsson, just that he should be considered if we have to lose someone to shed cap. I'd much rather lose Pacioretty and Lehner before him.

As to being short-sighted, supposedly the next two or three years are our contending window, I don't think Karlsson will be producing much in three years, and in any case, we need to start developing our system for three years down the road, not just trading for or signing UFA stars (those we'll probably always be able to get.).

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Lehner's buy out numbers look pretty attractive in the shirt term, and this team resides in the short term.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Lehner's buy out numbers look pretty attractive in the shirt term, and this team resides in the short term.

I don't think it will even need to come to that. A team that really needs a goalie like New Jersey will take him. They were one of the teams we talked to last summer about Lehner supposedly. Edmonton and Toronto will both also be in the market.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't think it will even need to come to that. A team that really needs a goalie like New Jersey will take him. They were one of the teams we talked to last summer about Lehner supposedly. Edmonton and Toronto will both also be in the market.
He doesn't like Lehner so undervalues him. Like you said, there's about five teams I could think who would have some interest.

New Jersey, Edmonton, Toronto, Washington, Detroit.

And it looks like Deboer is here to stay so I don't see any way he's here next season.

Brossoit market would probably be different, for teams looking for a veteran backup or a goalie to go through shelling in a rebuild.

Chicago? Buffalo? Columbus? Rangers? Honestly probably around ten teams.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Boudreau may be available due to Canucks doing Canuck things. If people consider that an option.

He's an awful playoff coach though.

Reactions: WickedPegJets

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I have no problem replacing PDB. I simply don't think his preferred style suits the roster we have. Yes the injuries probably cost us a playoff spot, but we weren't going to go more than a round or two at best. My other concern is that even if he returns and gets fired midseason if we're healthy and still floundering, who do we replace him with??

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall. One year left for PDB.

We have heard from PDB, McCrimmon. Nothing (public) from Foley.

If Foley is not that interested in firing PDB and having to pay out $$$$ (7 figure range plus more $$ for other fired staff) in addition to a new coaching staff, things may wait until NEXT OFF SEASON when it'll be an expiring contract to make any significant changes.

On average, VGK had six players out injured every game (with 500 man games lost). That's a significant deficit to try and overcome.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Foley has never been concerned about opening his checkbook. I highly doubt that will be a consideration when deciding the future of either the front office or the coaching staff.

Like I have said all along it's going to come down to the question of "who is a better coach that is available?". With the recent report of teams interested in Quenneville, that's certainly one, off ice issues aside. Trotz and Boudreau are 2 others that might be let go in the near future. Although Trotz runs a similar system to PDB so I'm not really sure what that would solve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad