Confirmed with Link: OFFICIAL: #NYR have agreed to terms with free agent forward Jarret Stoll

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Sounds to me like you acknowledge that hes a god awful hockey player. It also sounds like you think having a god awful hockey player who is a nice guy is somehow helping the team win.

So bad hockey player + good guy = winning team? There is no substance at all here. All you are saying is that he is bad and nice and that helps us become a better hockey team. This makes no sense at all.

Cannot decipher this one. So many empty words.

You can't decipher it? Glass being on the bench helps the team more than just his presence in the locker room. The towel boy can provide what Glass provides in the locker room. It's about him being on the bench. Do you think he sits there quietly? Or do you think he offers encouragement, chirps opponents, makes jokes, and otherwise does things that increase the feeling of camaraderie.

I wonder something. I'm not talking about being on a hockey team. Have you ever, at all, been part of any group pulling for a common goal? How about any group competing against another? Maybe you weren't aware of it, but if you were successful at all, there was someone doing those kinds of things.

I think there are players out there who provide these things and impact more positively on the ice. I would prefer that kind of player. When I talk about his negatives, that's what I'm referring to. It doesn't take away from what Glass is actually good for.

What I'm saying makes complete sense. You just have to think about the immeasurable parts of what happens within a group.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Based on every statistical measure, or even just from watching him play, its alot more likely, probably a guarantee that Glass contributed to more losses than wins. Who really cares if he contributed to some wins with his "veteran presents" which is likely vastly overstated, if he was a detriment as a whole and hurt the team more than he was a positive contributor to it

The Rangers simply didn't lose enough games for that to be true.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
The Rangers simply didn't lose enough games for that to be true.

So because the Rangers were good and Tanner Glass was on the Rangers, that clears him of any blame? He just had one of the worst seasons I have ever had the misfortune of watching a Ranger have.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So because the Rangers were good and Tanner Glass was on the Rangers, that clears him of any blame? He just had one of the worst seasons I have ever had the misfortune of watching a Ranger have.

Yeah, success can white wash a lot of small, individual issues. That's the way it works. That's the way it's always worked. The very fact that people harp on Glass at all is an indication of the amount of success we had. Brashear was worse, but we barely talked about him. There were bigger issues to tackle.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

I'm no Glass fan, but he's a 4th line winger so let's keep it in some context. Kamensky, Drury, Hossa, Quintal, Pilon, Ozolinch etc.. Say hi.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Don't mind the signing at all. IJust don't make Stoll out be something he's not. And Part of being a great teammate is keeping your personal life personal and not letting it interfere with the stuff on the ice.

Malone said and did all the right things but he lost the ability to perform at an NHL level. Stoll can be clean and come to camp in the best shape of his life, but it's extremely rare for a post-injury depth guy nearing his mid-30's to rekindle what he used to be.

Anybody here over 30 knows that. Your mind telling you to do one thing and your body responding to that thing become night and day.

Very low expectations for him. And while I think he can clean up from drugs, I'm skeptical on his ability to skate and keep up.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Don't mind the signing at all. IJust don't make Stoll out be something he's not. And Part of being a great teammate is keeping your personal life personal and not letting it interfere with the stuff on the ice.

Malone said and did all the right things but he lost the ability to perform at an NHL level. Stoll can be clean and come to camp in the best shape of his life, but it's extremely rare for a post-injury depth guy nearing his mid-30's to rekindle what he used to be.

Anybody here over 30 knows that. Your mind telling you to do one thing and your body responding to that thing become night and day.

Very low expectations for him. And while I think he can clean up from drugs, I'm skeptical on his ability to skate and keep up.

Unless you're Jaromir Jagr, if he could be 33 again he'd be putting up Art Ross numbers, lol. (he's the exception to the rule because he's a freak of nature)

But you're right, for the most part when you reach 33-35 things start going downhill physically, especially your quickness and light-footedness.

As long as we keep the expectations low, like you said - I think we'll be ok with the depth he can provide in a few areas. We'll see.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Based on every statistical measure, or even just from watching him play, its alot more likely, probably a guarantee that Glass contributed to more losses than wins. Who really cares if he contributed to some wins with his "veteran presents" which is likely vastly overstated, if he was a detriment as a whole and hurt the team more than he was a positive contributor to it
I think back to the beginning of the crazy run in December, Glass out of the lineup at first (go mumps go), then he comes back in Dallas and takes an abortion of a penalty and it costs a goal. Ended up losing the game and wrecking what could've been a 14 game winning streak.

It was that moment in life that I realized just how much I actually hated Tanner Glass.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I think back to the beginning of the crazy run in December, Glass out of the lineup at first (go mumps go), then he comes back in Dallas and takes an abortion of a penalty and it costs a goal. Ended up losing the game and wrecking what could've been a 14 game winning streak.

It was that moment in life that I realized just how much I actually hated Tanner Glass.

But he's arguably the best cheerleader in the NHL. I mean his postive mentality lead the Canucks to the SCF and the Rangers to a PT and ECF.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Actually, if I had to choose, Stemp lost his spot to Miller. But I don't care about actually "losing the spot" as much as I care about the fact that we traded for a player that does exactly what Glass "does", at half the price, with 5x the hockey skill in Sheppard, and he remained benched for Glass. Whenever somebody says "Glass fills a role" this is my problem with it, immediately. We bring in another player to fill that role, that undeniably is more skilled and better at hockey than Glass, and Glass continues to play. At that point, Glass wasn't filling any role, it became inexpiable by logic instead of the mental gymnastics posters did to justify him being in the lineup. And we could've used Stempniak more than both Glass and Sheppard when Zuccarello went down. But Stempniak supposedly just "didn't fill a role" I guess.

Yeah this was my problem with the whole mismanagement of the bottom line. Glass is here to fight if he has to and hit if he can catch someone. Fine. But we brought in a player who can do both of those things at least as well, while also being many times better at every other aspect of the game. At that point there was no justification. If he "got" the system or was more comfortable in it, it sure didn't show.

And for Stemp, I don't really agree with those saying he couldn't have played on the fourth line. He's a depth scorer who signed for pennies - he was always going to play bottom 6. He's not great defensively, but neither is Glass, and Stemp could score.

Bottom line, as it pertains to Stoll, is that Gorton needs to move Glass so that Stoll, Stalberg, Lindberg etc can have a chance to earn a spot strictly on merit. Clearly, that's not going to happen if Glass is here as evidenced by Sheppard's treatment, as well as Stemp's to a lesser extent.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

Malone had already been sharply declining when we picked him up, and personally I thought he would have been a better contributor than Glass, but thats niether here nor there.

Stoll has been a very consistent 4th liner for the past 4 years, and is a year and a half younger than Malone was when we singed him.

I don't think its ridiculous to expect more out of Stoll than what we got out of Malone. For the price, its a win-win.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Doesn't Stoll have a real hard shot? Not saying I'd want him on the power play if there are better options but you can always run him out there on the second unit at times.

Also it doesn't hurt to have someone who has won multiple cups recently and can maybe give some more leadership on that side

That said if he doesn't earn a spot he doesn't earn a spot and is gone

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
theres absolutely no downside to adding this guy.

in fact, its a shrewd move by an organization cap strapped and looking for good value..

we need a proven face-off guy. check.

we need a scorer in the 2RW spot. we add a 3C which allows us to be able to increase kevin hayes' minute by bumping him to the 2RW scoring slot. check.

we add a proven leader, excellent locker room guy, and 2 time cup winner. check.

we add some insurance who can play it gritty at both center and wing in the bottom 6. check

and lastly, come playoff time, we add a guy who can lead and play important dzone minutes and win crucial face-offs. check.

and we do all that for peanuts and for 1 year.

and if he sucks, we bury him.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Doesn't Stoll have a real hard shot? Not saying I'd want him on the power play if there are better options but you can always run him out there on the second unit at times.

Also it doesn't hurt to have someone who has won multiple cups recently and can maybe give some more leadership on that side

That said if he doesn't earn a spot he doesn't earn a spot and is gone
I think he was on the second unit for LA. It might of been for FOs only but i don't know.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

That Dallas game might be the most frustrated I've ever been with a single player ever. He was skating around doing nothing, losing the puck, taking himself out of position to barely hit people. I'm pretty sure he was at fault for 2 of the goals too after giveaways or nor picking up his man. Then that awful penalty lead to the GWG. I was about as livid as I can get during a December regular season game.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
That Dallas game might be the most frustrated I've ever been with a single player ever. He was skating around doing nothing, losing the puck, taking himself out of position to barely hit people. I'm pretty sure he was at fault for 2 of the goals too after giveaways or nor picking up his man. Then that awful penalty lead to the GWG. I was about as livid as I can get during a December regular season game.

He gave the puck away on the 2nd Dallas goal and wasn't in position to recover IIRC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad