*OFFICIAL* North Bay Battalion 2013-14 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Tampa fan wondering about how Blujus has been playing? I know he struggled to start the year after knee surgery but seems to have turned it around the second half of the season. Keep hearing how his defensive play has improved and as a result his point totals have dipped a bit. Just wondering about who he compares to and what his future outlook may be? He most likely will be playing in Syracuse next season.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Tampa fan wondering about how Blujus has been playing? I know he struggled to start the year after knee surgery but seems to have turned it around the second half of the season. Keep hearing how his defensive play has improved and as a result his point totals have dipped a bit. Just wondering about who he compares to and what his future outlook may be? He most likely will be playing in Syracuse next season.

He's been very solid defensively paired with McIvor who was known as one of the top defensive defensemen in the OHL this year. Apparently he's got a bomb of a slapshot but he generally just throws a wrist shot on net, sometimes resulting in turnovers or a wasted opportunity.

There are definitely several holes in his game when you're looking at the pro level, but he's been averaging around 30 minutes a game in the playoffs.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see him back next year in a veteran role. But he's been a very important piece of this team this year.

Northern Maroon

Feb 21, 2014
Mississauga ON Canada
A game that could have been stolen by the troops

The Storm had the luxery of being the road team in the loud gardens tonight and the first half of the 1st period was all Guelph. To the luck of the North Bay faithful, the Battalion took the lead. What really hurt the chance of a North Bay lead in the series however was a lack of a time out call by Stan Butler after the 3-3 goal in the dying seconds of the third. An amazing momentum shift definitely warranted a time out as a solid Jake Smith was devastated to let in the tying goal. I wasn't surprised Guelph took this game prior to overtime when a pumped up Storm set up at centre ice for the faceoff.

Hoping for better results in Game 4 but Guelph has regained home Ice and the momentum

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He's been very solid defensively paired with McIvor who was known as one of the top defensive defensemen in the OHL this year. Apparently he's got a bomb of a slapshot but he generally just throws a wrist shot on net, sometimes resulting in turnovers or a wasted opportunity.

There are definitely several holes in his game when you're looking at the pro level, but he's been averaging around 30 minutes a game in the playoffs.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see him back next year in a veteran role. But he's been a very important piece of this team this year.

It's nice to hear he's logging big minutes. Not good to hear he's not using his shot, we see Matt Carle get his limp wristed shot blocked all the time so would be nice if he fixed that.

I can't see Tampa not signing him and sending him to Syracuse next season, they need blueline help badly. Thanks for the info.

Greatger

May 11, 2007
I didn't know a team could bring their own ref's with them. Officiating has always been questionable anywhere North of Barrie. But this takes the cake !
Also. Bertuzzi's antics at the the end of the game will be addressed tonight.
What a complete embarassment to the league

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
I didn't know a team could bring their own ref's with them. Officiating has always been questionable anywhere North of Barrie. But this takes the cake !

You're absolutely right...that Horvat penalty was atrocious...come on, did anyone even see it? Blame the refs all you want, but that doesn't shadow the fact that Northbay was the weaker team.

The refs are letting the kids play and letting them dictate the intensity of the game, while only intervening when necessary. This is how playoff hockey should be.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.

What do you expect, you fans shower him with popcorn. As for the officiating, there was only two penalties to each team. That is what you want in a playoff game. Let them play.

againsttheboards

May 26, 2011

I can only image your response had he responded (the way that NB was hoping) and given another kind of wave? If the fans of any team choose to boo/heckle a player or throw popcorn etc, then I would hope they can handle the response they receive. Cheer loudly for your team, by all means, but heckling/throwing popcorn/drinks etc at the other team while they are exiting the ice? That is "a complete embarrassment to the league".

As for the penalties, they let a few go both ways.

Greatger

May 11, 2007
Com'on......call a spade a spade......the kid is an "idiot"
He's the one that got the crowd going in the first place.
No discipline by the coaching staff what-so-ever

Glassnout

Aug 27, 2013
I sit right behind the Guelph bench, and to be honest, what Bertuzzi did at the end of the game was VERY appropriate. There were a group of fans egging him on all day - which I think is ok, sort of fun I guess. But at the end of the game a select few (holding beer cans in hand) were slamming the glass and trying to entice a "confrontation"????? A few towels were thrown in the bench and on the ice. Bertuzzi in particular laughed at the guys and did some tongue thing (ok that may have been a little weird) but did nothing else that was unsportsmanlike or unclassy.
Security needs to step up a little quicker and stop these drunks from trying to taunt teenagers. I laugh when you see a 30 year old drunk as a skunk ask a kid on the bench to come on and fight...For one, the kid is not going to climb a 10 feet piece of glass to appease your demands, and secondly, IF HE DID, he would kick your butt so bad your mom couldn't even make you feel better.

Stay classy North Bay, and stay sober.

Reffing - missed a few calls earlier on in the game, but I agree was both ways.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
selfish..

...that third period retaliation by McLeod, I think in the third was a very poor decision ....player not involved in the play gets attention because your guy got hit..also dump the puck out..do not try to beat 2 guys...and get stripped of the puck..also if Paul waits a second or two that empty netter counts......that being said you played a sub par game and led with 35 seconds and an empty net ..new day new game and hopefully a new result tonite...

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus

I sit right behind the Guelph bench, and to be honest, what Bertuzzi did at the end of the game was VERY appropriate. There were a group of fans egging him on all day - which I think is ok, sort of fun I guess. But at the end of the game a select few (holding beer cans in hand) were slamming the glass and trying to entice a "confrontation"????? A few towels were thrown in the bench and on the ice. Bertuzzi in particular laughed at the guys and did some tongue thing (ok that may have been a little weird) but did nothing else that was unsportsmanlike or unclassy.
Security needs to step up a little quicker and stop these drunks from trying to taunt teenagers. I laugh when you see a 30 year old drunk as a skunk ask a kid on the bench to come on and fight...For one, the kid is not going to climb a 10 feet piece of glass to appease your demands, and secondly, IF HE DID, he would kick your butt so bad your mom couldn't even make you feel better.

Stay classy North Bay, and stay sober.

Reffing - missed a few calls earlier on in the game, but I agree was both ways.

I think a spade was just called a spade......thanks for the honesty bayfan.

geo105

May 3, 2014
greatger were you the guy a few rows back from the glass in Guelph? If not you have a clone. His favorite words also were Bertuzzi you're an idiot. Better good hockey player :handclap: for an idiot.
Thank-you bayfan for an unbiased opinion, you are a true fan, of not just north bay, but hockey in general, no rose coloured glasses.
Regarding Butler's comment about needing alzheimers, I'll apoligize for him to all suffers of this merciless malady. I'm sure he meant nothing by it, but a better choice of words was needed.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario

You know what a good hockey pest does? Gets under in the skin of the opposing team.

Do you know what a great hockey pest does? Gets under the skin of an opposing fan base. Good for Bertuzzi.

But with that said, I am a little sickened by what the fan-base initiated by throwing pop-corn, pop/beer on a kid. Hopefully you guys can have a little more dignity for game 4.

Glassnout

Aug 27, 2013
No popcorn or beer was thrown at the players, just a couple of little towels - harmless but unacceptable at the same time.

We get so caught up in this game, and I sit and watch Bertuzzi, or any other kid on the opposing team, and you get to the point where you just want to yell at him, strap on the skates and go and take him out...Then reality sets in, and I realize that I am watching teenagers play a game. Sure I pay to see the game and that gives me the right to heckle, boo, disagree, but it doesnt give me the right to insult or verbally abuse a kid.

The reason I love Jr hockey so much as that we get to see the future nhl stars, and maybe the odd future nhl goof, but it's still a treat to watch.

Go Troops Go

Caje

Mar 18, 2010

The only thing you're right about in this post is that Bertuzzi is a kid and the people throwing stuff and heckling are "adults". It's junior hockey, if you can't go to a game without acting like a complete buffoon then you should stay home. Security should be ejecting anyone who yells obscenities (there's little kids in the crowd!) or throws stuff at players. That's completely unacceptable.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
No popcorn or beer was thrown at the players, just a couple of little towels - harmless but unacceptable at the same time.

We get so caught up in this game, and I sit and watch Bertuzzi, or any other kid on the opposing team, and you get to the point where you just want to yell at him, strap on the skates and go and take him out...Then reality sets in, and I realize that I am watching teenagers play a game. Sure I pay to see the game and that gives me the right to heckle, boo, disagree, but it doesnt give me the right to insult or verbally abuse a kid.

The reason I love Jr hockey so much as that we get to see the future nhl stars, and maybe the odd future nhl goof, but it's still a treat to watch.

Go Troops Go

Well said Bayfan. I have, over the years, transformed from a fan of one NHL team (dare I mention which team), to an all-around pro-hockey fan simply because of the graduation of these young players from the OHL and the desire to see them succeed, regardless of which team they played for in the "O". I get quite a kick out of following and watching the likes of Doughty, Brown, Girardi, Callahan, Klein, etc., as well as others that move on to the CIS, European leagues, etc., and being able to think, "I remember watching them play in the OHL".

And OHLTG - you're right, Bertuzzi apparently received a "popcorn shower" (you did read it in a couple of places) on his way off the ice prior to the 3 star presentation. I'm quite sure Tyler probably attempted to catch a few kernels in his mouth and was likely chomping on them with a grin as he headed out on to the ice to wave at the fans.....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad