*OFFICIAL* North Bay Battalion 2013-14 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
I may not be a North Bay native but I am still a Battalion fan/follower so I figured I'd get the off-season thread going with whats changed roster wise.

So obviously last season's 3 OA's are gone with Cameron Wind, Brendan Childerley and Francis Menard.

Both imports from last season goalie Matej Machovsky and forward Patrik Machac have signed pro in their native Czech Republic so Stan Butler can pick two fresh imports at next months draft.

4 Possible OA's still in the Battalion system with captain Barclay Goodrow who scored a team leading 38 goals this past season. Matt MacLeod, Zach Bell and Nicholas Foglia.
It could be possible for Goodrow to sign pro in the ECHL perhaps, but if my sources are right even if Goodrow does play in the O next year it may not be with North Bay.

Defence is pretty set with North Bay this fall with:
Zach Bell, Dylan Blujus, Marcus McIvor, Mark Raycroft, Brenden Miller and Kyle Wood as the top 6, barring any off season trades of course. Stan usually makes sure a 7th guy gets some time during the season even if there are no injuries.

It appears that Jake Smith will take over the starting role with Machovsky gone. Smitty had a pretty good rookie season going 9-6-2 in 20 appearances. Jake was temporarily forced into a starting role last winter when Machovsky was at the WJC and Smith started 9 straight games, towards the end of the 9 games you could tell he was getting burnt out but that can be expected from a rookie who before the 9 straight had only started 4 games.

The backup job is up for grabs, based on last year's camp I would expect Soo native Jake Kment to get the job, he impressed me at main camp last season and he had a very good season this year with the Soo Northstars.

As usual forward is the most wide open position available for the Battalion this fall.
Returning forwards other than the possible OA's listed above:
Brandon Robinson, Connor Jarvis, Mike Amadio, Blake Clarke, Jamie Lewis, Nick Paul, and Mathew Santos.
By the sounds of it the top 3 picks from this years draft have a real shot at cracking the team with Brett McKenzie, Mike Baird and Riley Bruce.

Clarke and Paul had fantastic rookie years last season, Brandon Robinson was kind of disappointing compared to his rookie year of 11-12 but you can see he has the skills, hopefully he bounces back this season.
I would imagine Butler picks 2 forwards in next months import draft which could really help out.

On paper right now I think North Bay has a solid team this coming fall with goaltending being the biggest question mark in my book. Jake Smith is a good goalie but we will see if he can handle the big minutes.

I'm thinking this season's North Bay team is going to finish much better than the last several seasons of Cents teams did.

StuCarterStats

May 25, 2013
Apparently the city of North Bay has military ties so it seemed logical to keep everything the same. Speaking of North Bay best of luck to the Battalion in their new home!

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
By the sounds of it the top 3 picks from this years draft have a real shot at cracking the team with Brett McKenzie, Mike Baird and Riley Bruce.

I think North Bay and the first 3 selections in the draft, was pure gold.

Mckenzie works too hard, shift to shift to not make an impact in the OHL this year. He seems like a perfect match for Clarke and u should see them together depending on how fast Mckenzie transitions to the OHL. I think he can become a first round NHL pick. He reminds me of a young Jordan Staal. Defensively responsible/back checks harder than any forward I saw this year, good on draws and is a tricky little playmaker. Work ethic, off the charts. Lead the best team in Ontario in points. There is not one player from picks #5 to #9 in the OHL draft that I would take over him. Most of that is based on work ethic and how consistent he is because he works hard.

Baird is capable of intimidating players much older than he is. He protects your skilled guys. He will fight. He hits harder than anyone in his draft year. He doesnt pick his spots, he hits anyone, anywhere, any size. Ironically for a player with little offensive skill/providing a ton of grit, he has elite skating speed, which makes his checks that much harder.

Riley Bruce could potentially be the steal of the 2013 draft. U just dont see guys skate like he can and stand 6-6 but needs to fill out. If they want Bruce to play junior A, fill out and study the defensive game, that will help him develop.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I think North Bay and the first 3 selections in the draft, was pure gold.

Mckenzie works too hard, shift to shift to not make an impact in the OHL this year. He seems like a perfect match for Clarke and u should see them together depending on how fast Mckenzie transitions to the OHL. I think he can become a first round NHL pick. He reminds me of a young Jordan Staal. Defensively responsible/back checks harder than any forward I saw this year, good on draws and is a tricky little playmaker. Work ethic, off the charts. Lead the best team in Ontario in points. There is not one player from picks #5 to #9 in the OHL draft that I would take over him. Most of that is based on work ethic and how consistent he is because he works hard.

Baird is capable of intimidating players much older than he is. He protects your skilled guys. He will fight. He hits harder than anyone in his draft year. He doesnt pick his spots, he hits anyone, anywhere, any size. Ironically for a player with little offensive skill/providing a ton of grit, he has elite skating speed, which makes his checks that much harder.

Riley Bruce could potentially be the steal of the 2013 draft. U just dont see guys skate like he can and stand 6-6 but needs to fill out. If they want Bruce to play junior A, fill out and study the defensive game, that will help him develop.

Definitely agree with you, North Bay had quite the draft. McKenzie seems like an ideal butler player with some decent upside to his game. Baird will be a fan favorite from the moment he steps on the ice. Riley Bruce is a guy I really thought would go early second round at earliest. Not to mention I think they got one of the goalies with the highest upside in the draft with Evan Cormier. I had the chance to watch Brody Brunet a few times this year and he could end up being a good late value pick down the line as well.

Generals Fan

Jun 11, 2013
GTA
Congrats to John Goodwin as being named the new Asst. coach, a great man is with a ton of experience. He will be missed in the Oshawa area.

FireBenning*

If rumors of silk wanting out of Sudbury is true I think he would look great in NorthBay. just my opinion;)

Greatger

May 11, 2007
Import Draft Players

Article taken from Baytoday:

The North Bay Battalion added a bit more scoring to their roster through the 2013 CHL Import Draft on Wednesday.

Alexander Henriksson was selected at 32nd overall by the Troops. This past season, the 6'2" Skovde, Sweden product scored nine goals and 16 points in 41 games played with Farjestad of the J20 SuperElit league.

Battalion head coach and general manager Stan Butler was also able to use his second round selection at 92nd overall. With it, he picked up 1994-birth year Vincent Praplan from Switzerland.

Praplan led the Elite Jr. A Swiss league in scoring this past season, putting up 33 goals and 62 points in 34 games played in his third season with Kloten U20.

He also recorded four goals and 12 points in eight games in the postseason before being eliminated in the semi-finals by the eventual 2013 Elite Jr. A Champions GCK Lions.

The Vancouver Giants (WHL) selected Russian defense man Dmitry Osipov with the first overall pick. The Ottawa 67's picked up Alex Lintuniemi, another blue liner from Helsinki, Finland with the second choice. The Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL) owned the third overall pick and took Russian left winger Maxim Lazarev.

The last time a Swede wore a jersey in the OHL for a North Bay team was Jonas Andersson. The Centennials had great success with Andersson.

He registered 31 goals and 67 points in his only season with the Train Men in '99-2000.

That season, the 1999 2nd round pick of the Nashville Predators was named the OHL Rookie of the Year.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Was told today that eligible OA's Barclay Goodrow and Nicholas Foglia are not on the training camp roster.

Would be a big loss for the Battalion if Goodrow isnt back as he was far and away the goal scoring leader last season with 38 goals.

Glassnout

Aug 27, 2013
First off, this is my first post and as a North Bay Battalion fan, I want to thank all the Brampton fans that keep contributing to the forum, and I hope you still follow your team. I've been reading the forum for about a year now and have always enjoyed the posts. I hope you die hards from Brampton will make the trip up here once the rink is finished and I am sure you will all be welcomed with open arms. I also realize that our excitement in North Bay is your loss in Brampton, but please know that no one in North Bay feels good about that.

Could it be that Goodrow is attending camps in the upper levels? And with Foglia, I know he was a local kid in Brampton, so maybe the move North was a bit much for him.

What are the Brampton fans' take on Smith...is he ready for #1? I watched him during the playoffs last year and he is agile for sure, but a bit small. Hard to judge in 2 games though.

I'm also looking for Clarke to have a break out year - not that the rookie year was bad at all, but the games I watched he was not getting a ton of ice and still producing. I'm expecting him to lead the team and win over the city right away.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
First off, this is my first post and as a North Bay Battalion fan, I want to thank all the Brampton fans that keep contributing to the forum, and I hope you still follow your team. I've been reading the forum for about a year now and have always enjoyed the posts. I hope you die hards from Brampton will make the trip up here once the rink is finished and I am sure you will all be welcomed with open arms. I also realize that our excitement in North Bay is your loss in Brampton, but please know that no one in North Bay feels good about that.

Could it be that Goodrow is attending camps in the upper levels? And with Foglia, I know he was a local kid in Brampton, so maybe the move North was a bit much for him.

What are the Brampton fans' take on Smith...is he ready for #1? I watched him during the playoffs last year and he is agile for sure, but a bit small. Hard to judge in 2 games though.

I'm also looking for Clarke to have a break out year - not that the rookie year was bad at all, but the games I watched he was not getting a ton of ice and still producing. I'm expecting him to lead the team and win over the city right away.

Those of us in Brampton have actually been happy for the fans in North Bay I know a lot of people I've talked to (an opinion I share) are happy that if our team had to move its going to a city that A: knows how we feel exactly since you guys lost the Cents and B: we know our team will now be very well supported.

Myself and several other Brampton fans plan on being there opening night October 11th. We also have a big group going to the Oct 6th game in Mississauga, I will try and support the Battalion the best I can this season when they play near Brampton. Probably more than one trip up to the Bay, though beyond the home opener I dont know which games yet. I know have Guelph Storm season tickets but I still plan on cheering for the Battalion even when they play against Guelph. I will be wearing green and white to next Monday's exhibition game for sure.

As for Goodrow I know he has been invited to Grand Rapids Griffins camp in the AHL but that shouldnt stop him from going to Battalion camp, I remember Matt Duchene taking part in 09/10 camp and playing in a couple exhibition games before leaving for Colorado and he never came back lol. I've heard rumours of Goodrow possibly wanting a trade but I can't confirm this.
As for Foglia I am not sure, but I figured he was the odd man out in the OA situation.

Jake Smith I thought did very well last season though his playing schedule was a bit odd. He only started 4 games in the first half of the season before having to play 9 straight while Machovsky went to the WJC's. The 9 straight I thought went well, the last couple games you could tell he was tired and he didnt play his best but that was to be expected with a rookie. After Machovsky got back Smith only played 2 regular season games but they were both against Barrie and he won both games. He then came in relief of Machovsky during the playoffs and despite not picking up a win I thought played well.

I'm not sure if Smith is totally ready to carry the load for the Battalion but it wouldnt shock me if he does so with success, based on his play last year I think he can be a solid OHL starter.

Expect Clarke to be more of a playmaker based on his rookie season. While Clarke did score a bit he really isnt a sniper but he is very good at finding the open area's. I would like to see him go on a line with Nick Paul, Paul is more flashy and with Clarke making the plays and feeding Paul, those two together could be deadly.

spencerwall

Aug 27, 2013
This is an exciting day as the Battalion officially open the main camp.On ice tryouts begin tomorrow with access restricted due to construction at the gardens. Woooohoooo!

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Is there any info on how to purchases tickets for exhibition game Sat., Sept. 7 Kitchener vs. North Bay in Temiscaming, PQ?

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
Looking forward to having another Northern Ontario rival back! Will be there on September 27 when you guys take on my hounds at the Essar!

Greatger

May 11, 2007
bayfan:
Welcome to the forum ! From my own personal experience here, I find it a lot more informative and interesting than the "other" forum (who for some reason doesn't want to hear from North Bay people, maybe because the moderators are from Sudbury). Anyway, bottom line is, I hope you'll enjoy the vast variety of information that I have found.

Last edited:

Glassnout

Aug 27, 2013
Butler signing for 5 years is a huge boost to the club and really is important for the move.

As far as the other forum goes, if it is indeed moderated by sudburians, then there is no way they want to hear from North Bay fans. We went into their barn, at their home games, to cheer on the Battalion, and we were WAY louder than the home fans. They got lucky in the playoffs, but that won't happen this year.

spencerwall

Aug 27, 2013
I was at the inter squad game this afternoon.Amadio,Paul,Bell, stood out.The 2 imports really were just average although Pablon was more active with some grit...Does anyone know who will be the centers on this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad