*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2014 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Well, IMO we battled hard against the Gennies in the 1st round. Can't complain witht he effort and compete the young Steelheads gave down the stretch.

Looking forward to next season though. I hope all 3 picks in the 1st two rounds of the OHL draft plus some of the following prospects who had good 2013-2014 seasons commit and add to young nucleus as we push towards contending in the 2015-2016 season (98 NHL draft year).

Keaton Ratcliffe, F(96) - Season 47 10 21 31 76, Played with London Nationals of GOJHL
Jason Smith, F(97) - Season 39 10 19 29 57, Played with Brampton Bombers of GOJHL
Cole Busschaert, F(96) - Season 45 18 37 55 12, Played with Gananoque Islanders of EOJHL
Leif Hertz, G(97) - 14 3 8 5 3.00, Played with Don Mills of GTHL and in USHL this season.

Going into the draft I suspect 2 of our top 3 picks used on forwards, we were the least scoring team in the league and need more explosive and dynamic forwards. A Saigeon, Jones, Felhaber would be great with the first pick then picking another forward early in the second round.

With our 3rd pick I'd love to see the Trout get a goalie like Lafontaine or Raaymakers. Martin is only around for 1 more season as he can then turn pro. Carty and Marchand can't be starters. A goalie of the future needs to be found this offseason.

Other than that it should be fun to watch the likes of Day, Gerhart, Barwell, LeBlanc, Walsh and others grow with this offseason and come into camp next August better than ever.

It may be wishful thinking but I can see both LeBlanc and Walsh being selected by NHL teams and I think with his current success Babinstev may find his way into another NHL prospect camp. Guys like Cianfrone and Burnside may get drafted or invited to a prospect camp but to me seems like a longshot. Burnside maybe more likely cause he went to leafs camp last year.

Go Steelheads! The Future is bright!

Last edited:

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Potential 2014-2015 Line-up. Still needs some work up front IMO, if a better import is available and drafted you could send Rasulov packing. With the way he played down the stretch I don't mind keeping Babs on as an Import and OA player. Hopefully the young 97's progress and improve! On the back end same unit as last year + more maturity and goaltending is a lock as Martin should mentor and groom 2nd round pick whoever it may be. There is wiggle room to add an OA wherever Boydy seems fit. An extra impact OA forward may be a good move to add some depth.

Barwell - Cianfrone - Goldberg
Burnside - McLeod - Babinstev
MacIntyre - Bastian - Gerhart
Bourne - Ratcliffe - Rasulov

Extras: Clark, Thompson, Jammes, Belding (if he stays on as OA)

Day - Graves
LeBlanc - Walsh
DiTomaso - Zottl
Gibson

Martin
1 of Wells/Raaymakers/Vella
Carty/Marchand

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012
Potential 2014-2015 Line-up. Still needs some work up front IMO, if a better import is available and drafted you could send Rasulov packing. With the way he played down the stretch I don't mind keeping Babs on as an Import and OA player. Hopefully the young 97's progress and improve! On the back end same unit as last year + more maturity and goaltending is a lock as Martin should mentor and groom 2nd round pick whoever it may be. There is wiggle room to add an OA wherever Boydy seems fit. An extra impact OA forward may be a good move to add some depth.

Day - Graves
LeBlanc - Walsh
DiTomaso - Zottl
Gibson

Martin
Carty/Marchand

We defiantly need an OA offensive forward like Brace was for Belleville to keep this team going down the stretch. In net I would much rather Lawr or Wells then Vella or Raaymakers. A top forward with the fifth overall pick would be nice (McLeod Felhaber or Saigeon) as well as somebody like Vertiy or Mizzi in round 2, too start on line three. This Draft will be a good one with two seconds

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
We defiantly need an OA offensive forward like Brace was for Belleville to keep this team going down the stretch. In net I would much rather Lawr or Wells then Vella or Raaymakers. A top forward with the fifth overall pick would be nice (McLeod Felhaber or Saigeon) as well as somebody like Vertiy or Mizzi in round 2, too start on line three. This Draft will be a good one with two seconds

I've always thought we could have a chance at Mizzi in the 2nd. Don't know too much about Vertiy info wise.

Yeah Lawr or Wells will work too. Any 98 goalie that can come in a play 8-10 games hopefully.

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012
I've always thought we could have a chance at Mizzi in the 2nd. Don't know too much about Vertiy info wise.

Yeah Lawr or Wells will work too. Any 98 goalie that can come in a play 8-10 games hopefully.

Then depending on how the years going by Christmas, trading Martin for another teams first rounder from this Draft and seconds would set us up for the future. Personally I think Vertiy would be a perfect fit on line three. I don't want us to take a flyer on Jones. He'll be a heck of a player in two years but I would much rather someone to help sooner

Steel Toe

Oct 24, 2012
Caledon
The Steelheads will use there 2nd rd draft picks that they gained from trades , to pick up 2 Overage top forwards .This is a good tool to have once the rosters are set and other teams are looking to move bodies. Rasulov , Jammes, Belding will be all gone . Goldberg and or Babinstev maybe overager , but eventually keeping only one and leaving 2 overage spots open for higher end talent via trade.

Last edited:

Arsenault

Mar 12, 2012
The Steelheads will use there 2nd rd draft picks that they gained from trades , to pick up 2 Overage top forwards .This is a good tool to have once the rosters are set and other teams are looking to move bodies. Rasulov , Jammes, Belding will be all gone . Goldberg and or Babinstev maybe overager , but eventually keeping only one and leaving 2 overage spots open for higher end talent via trade.[/QUOTE

Would not be surprise to see a few draft picks in 2014/2015 plus a 97 to be sent to Sudbury in exchange for 2 OA plus and a 95. Trade for draft picks done tomorrow and remainder of trade formalized after 2014 season. Sudbury needs to unload OA and more importantly needs draft picks, of which Mississauga has lots in the next three years.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA

Day - Graves
LeBlanc - Walsh
DiTomaso - Zottl
Gibson

Martin
Carty/Marchand

Interesting Roster, based on how Boyd coaches I'd probably say:-

Burnside - Cianfrone - Goldberg
Bourne - Bastian - Babinstev
Barwell - 98' - Gerhart
MacIntyre - Clark- Rasulov
Thompson- Jammes

Day - Graves
LeBlanc - Walsh
DiTomaso - Zottl
Gibson

Martin
Carty

Steel Toe

Oct 24, 2012
Caledon
Interesting Roster, based on how Boyd coaches I'd probably say:-

Burnside - Cianfrone - Goldberg
Bourne - Bastian - Babinstev
Barwell - 98' - Gerhart
MacIntyre - Clark- Rasulov

Day - Graves
LeBlanc - Walsh
DiTomaso - Zottl
Gibson

Martin
Carty

That Bastian kid is going to be a good one next year, he has NHL size already and once his game develops to the next level , I can see this kid getting drafted. He already has caught attention from NHL scouts from what I heard.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
I think Mcleod to Missy is a done deal.

They will then take a dman like Dunn, or Allen or kid from Kitchener. 2nd pick in 2nd round they will take a goalie.

devils55

Mar 9, 2012
2014-2015 roster

Burnside - Cianfrone - Venuto(OA)
Goldberg(OA) - Mcleod(98) - Babintsev
Bastian - Barwell - Bourne
Gerhart - Kutkevicius(98) - MacIntyre

extras - Clark/Rasulov/Thompson/Kleine(98)/ Harrogate(98)/ Jammes

Leblanc - Walsh
Day - Graves
Ditomaso - Hague (98)

extras - Zottl/ Osmanski

Martin - Krol(98)

extra - Marchand/Carty

What the team should do

- try to pick-up 2 overage forwards, for example Campagna/Pancel/Huether from sudbury for picks
- Defense could use OA help but if they cant find one the back end should still be okay!
- Draft import to replace Rasulov
- Trade Bourne/Ditomaso/Zottl/Graves
- Find offense through trades
- Incorporate 98 picks (Mcleod/Kutkevicius/Kleine/Harrogate) into lineup..all have great offensive upside
- I have Goldberg and Venuto as overagers right now... pick up 2 others/ trade 1 of Goldberg/Venuto
- Trade for Jacob Harris (Sudbury 95) he wants out (would be great 1st/2nd line centre) great 2way game

Other Notes

- Leblanc will get drafted (round 4-7)
- Walsh has outside chance of getting drafted
- Dont know how Day made the 2nd all-star rookie team...brutal.... Siebenaler/Dunn/Jenkins all had MUCH better year
- Bourne is the worst 1st round pick ever
- we got lucky to get Mcleod at #5...will probably lead the team in points next year
- WE NEED OFFENSE
- Spencer Martin is a stud goaltender (do not trade)

devils55

Mar 9, 2012
Wasn't Harris supposed to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick, why did he fall so much?

He hasn't fallen off, he never got the ice he deserved in sudbury because of Campagna and the addition of Faksa at the deadline. He is a great player!

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
He hasn't fallen off, he never got the ice he deserved in sudbury because of Campagna and the addition of Faksa at the deadline. He is a great player!

Not that Harris, sorry about the confusion. I was speaking to the Harris that the steelheads selected in the 10th round yesterday. All year people said he was supposed to e in the 2nd or 3rd round. Supposedly it is because NCAA commitments.

Steel Toe

Oct 24, 2012
Caledon
Not that Harris, sorry about the confusion. I was speaking to the Harris that the steelheads selected in the 10th round yesterday. All year people said he was supposed to e in the 2nd or 3rd round. Supposedly it is because NCAA commitments.

Harris was ranked higher , but everyone thought he was commited
to NCAA but apparently he never committed anywhere as of yet . The Steelheads lucked out on this pick, he also was a Marlies line mate of McLeod so I'm sure that helped out on that selection .

Steel Toe

Oct 24, 2012
Caledon
Is anyone heading over to watch the development camp at Iceland in Mississauga this up coming weekend ?
The camp will consist of '97 and '98 year born draft picks plus free agents .

Schedule :

Date & Time

Saturday April 26th 5:30pm – 6:20pm

On Ice Practice
Iceland Rink #1

Saturday April 26th 6:30pm – 7:30pm

Blue and White Game (1998 and 1997 born players)

Iceland Rink #1

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Is anyone heading over to watch the development camp at Iceland in Mississauga this up coming weekend ?
The camp will consist of '97 and '98 year born draft picks plus free agents .

Schedule :

Date & Time

Saturday April 26th 5:30pm – 6:20pm

On Ice Practice
Iceland Rink #1

Saturday April 26th 6:30pm – 7:30pm

Blue and White Game (1998 and 1997 born players)

Iceland Rink #1

Did anyone go to the development games? If yes can anyone give insight and info on what they saw. Thanks is advance!

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Steelheads acquire '97 born winger Noah Robinson from Sudbury. Here's his stats from last year.

GP G A P PIMS
Selects Hockey Academy 16U USPHL 16U 25 15 16 31 16

Luvtowatch

Feb 21, 2012
Steelheads acquire '97 born winger Noah Robinson from Sudbury. Here's his stats from last year.

GP G A P PIMS
Selects Hockey Academy 16U USPHL 16U 25 15 16 31 16

Robinson could be a steal for an 8th rd pick. Trout fans will be very happy with the energy and skill that he brings. He is a tough kid with good speed and a very good shot. I believe he was very under rated playing in the shadows of a couple of very highly touted boys on the TM97 team. I think the whole 97 GTHL loop was under appreciated as they weren't very highly drafted as compared to other years.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Do the Steelheads have any interest in Victor Mete if he'd be willing to report? He'd probably help out the offense by adding to the team speed, providing quick transition to offense and QB'ing the PP eventually. Cost would likely be 3 2nd's and a 3rd.

JJJMac

Apr 18, 2014
Mete would be very interested in Missy. Wants to stay close to home. In my opinion, Hague, although big, was drafted too high. The other kid from Kitchener, I really just don't get in the 5th round. I watched him play often this year and I would have questioned him being taken at all, not to mention that high. However, I like the 2nd round pick if he can put some weight on and Harris was a steal as late as he was taken. Just my views from outside.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Do the Steelheads have any interest in Victor Mete if he'd be willing to report? He'd probably help out the offense by adding to the team speed, providing quick transition to offense and QB'ing the PP eventually. Cost would likely be 3 2nd's and a 3rd.

The cost to get him (first round pick. Look what Kingston got for Domi) might be to high to tmept Boyd into doing it, plus our D core is fairly young with lots of 96's returning plus Gibson and Hague now in the mix.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The cost to get him (first round pick. Look what Kingston got for Domi) might be to high to tmept Boyd into doing it, plus our D core is fairly young with lots of 96's returning plus Gibson and Hague now in the mix.

Wasn't overly impressed with Mete at the Gold Cup. Good skater but I would be considered concerned with his stature on the back end in the OHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce