Music: Official Metal Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Saw the Rockstar Mayhem Fest Sunday night in Tinley Park(Chicago burb), Outstanding!!!

Only watched the two headliners, King Diamond & Slayer, skipped the rest, was a really weak lineup this year, just plain awful. Promoter complained headliners charge so much he doesn't have money to fill out the bill, it showed. They closed off the lawn area, guess enough seats were not sold, was kind of shocked on that but the Pavilion was pretty much full.

King Diamond was great, even played two Mercyful Fate songs including my all time favorite of his, Evil. (Other was Come To The Sabbath). King played sans makeup as he had a eye infection or something so he wore top hat and shades, kind of looked like a Goth Elton John but still a great show. Wish he would do another Mercyful Fate tour, Melisa might be my all time favorite studio album from any band.

Slayer was also great, Gary Holt doesn't miss a beat filling in for the late Jeff Hanneman, even if it is strange not seeing the guy in Raiders Jersey on the left side of the stage. think they were rushed for time as there was virtually no banter between songs by Tom Arraya, they were like The Ramones jumping from one song to another without a break most of the time. Heard it a zillion times but I missed having him do the intro to Dead Skin Mask, "this is about a man named Ed...."

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
But does eruction sounds as heavy as this:

;) :popcorn: :sarcasm:

Twilight Force is cheesy as ****, but still really good. Favorite song by them is probably "The Enchanted Dragon of Wisdom." It's just fun to listen to. Also, they also covered "Eagle Fly Free".

Also:

Tobias Sammet (Edguy) announced a new AVANTASIA album "Ghostlights" and a "World" Tour in 2016! I have really liked The Metal Opera and I'm glad the songs are gonna go on tour again!

Unfortunately, there's a reason I put world in quotes. When they mean "World" Tour, I think they really meant Europe and really only France, Germany, Italy, UK, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Spain, and Switzerland:

04.03. Germany - Berlin, Huxley´s
05.03. Germany - Hamburg, Große Freiheit
06.03. Germany - Bremen, Aladin
08.03. England - London, The Forum
09.03. France - Paris, Le Trianon
11.03. Spain - Barcelona, Razzmatazz 1
12.03. Spain - Madrid, La Riviera
15.03. Germany - Frankfurt-Langen, Stadthalle
16.03. Czech Republic - Prague, Forum Karlin
18.03. Germany - Kaufbeuren, All-Karthalle
19.03. Germany - Bamberg, brose-Arena
20.03. Germany - Oberhausen, Turbinenhalle
22.03. Italy - Milan, Alcatraz
24.03. Switzerland - Pratteln, z7
25.03. Switzerland - Pratteln, z7
27.03. Slovakia - Banska Bystrica, Ice Stadium
28.03. Slovakia - Bratislava, Sportshall
31.03. Germany - Saarbrücken, Saarlandhalle
01.04. Germany - Ludwigsburg, Arena
02.04. Germany - Fulda, Esperantohalle

I'm not sure what the setlist is gonna be like, but according to their site,l "The live setlist is going to embrace the entire history of AVANTASIA, from "The Metal Opera" to "Ghostlights" and of course everything in between!"
So far, no North American dates. It's rough being a Power Metal fan in the US sometimes.

In other news, the new Powerwolf album is coming soon, and I expect nothing but solid, catchy music from them despite the fact that they wrote one song idea and ran with it (Kinda like Sabaton :sarcasm:). And despite all that, I enjoyed Powerwolf and their music anyway, so this will be a treat. Their cover album that comes with the Deluxe version will be something to behold though. Here's their rendition of "Out in the Fields"

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown

The Black Dahlia Murder and friends will be joining us to celebrate a decade of merchandise and mayhem.

10/01 Syracuse, NY @ The Lost Horizon
10/02 Montreal, QC @ Foufounes Electriques
10/03 Ottawa, ON @ Mavericks
10/04 Toronto, ON @ Opera House
10/07 Thunder Bay, ON @ Crocks
10/08 Winnipeg, MB @ The Pyramid
10/09 Saskatoon, SK @ Louis' Pub
10/10 Edmonton, AB @ Union Hall
10/11 Calgary, AB @ MacEwan Ballroom
10/13 Vancouver, BC @ Rickshaw Theatre
10/14 Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre
10/15 Seattle, WA @ El Corazon
10/16 Boise, ID @ Knitting Factory
10/17 Salt Lake City, UT @ The Complex
10/18 Colorado Springs, CO @ The Black Sheep
10/20 Lincoln, NE @ Bourbon Theatre
10/21 Des Moines, IA @ Wooly's
10/22 Bloomington, IL @ Castle Theatre
10/23 Indianapolis, IN @ Emerson Theatre
10/24 Detroit, MI @ The Loving Touch

TBDM has been part of the IndieMerch family since the beginning and continues to crush with their new album, Abysmal. Vocalist Trevor Strnad had this to say about the upcoming trek:
"It's a pleasure for us to be involved in IndieMerch's anniversary tour, they are the greatest merch company in the world and have been doing right by us for years. We've assembled quite a tour together showcasing some of the most killer bands out there from all walks of extremely heavy music. We are proud to be a part of it and we hope to see your smiling faces in the crowd each night!"

Filling out Part I of the tour are some of our favorite bands from each genre. Thrash masters IRON REAGAN will provide the circle pits at maximum velocity, Harm's Way will bring their brutally heavy style of hardcore, and opening act Maruta will set the tone for the night with their brand of death metal grindcore.

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
Tobias Sammet (Edguy) announced a new AVANTASIA album "Ghostlights" and a "World" Tour in 2016! I have really liked The Metal Opera and I'm glad the songs are gonna go on tour again!

Unfortunately, there's a reason I put world in quotes. When they mean "World" Tour, I think they really meant Europe and really only France, Germany, Italy, UK, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Spain, and Switzerland:

04.03. Germany - Berlin, Huxley´s
05.03. Germany - Hamburg, Große Freiheit
06.03. Germany - Bremen, Aladin
08.03. England - London, The Forum
09.03. France - Paris, Le Trianon
11.03. Spain - Barcelona, Razzmatazz 1
12.03. Spain - Madrid, La Riviera
15.03. Germany - Frankfurt-Langen, Stadthalle
16.03. Czech Republic - Prague, Forum Karlin
18.03. Germany - Kaufbeuren, All-Karthalle
19.03. Germany - Bamberg, brose-Arena
20.03. Germany - Oberhausen, Turbinenhalle
22.03. Italy - Milan, Alcatraz
24.03. Switzerland - Pratteln, z7
25.03. Switzerland - Pratteln, z7
27.03. Slovakia - Banska Bystrica, Ice Stadium
28.03. Slovakia - Bratislava, Sportshall
31.03. Germany - Saarbrücken, Saarlandhalle
01.04. Germany - Ludwigsburg, Arena
02.04. Germany - Fulda, Esperantohalle

I'm not sure what the setlist is gonna be like, but according to their site,l "The live setlist is going to embrace the entire history of AVANTASIA, from "The Metal Opera" to "Ghostlights" and of course everything in between!"
So far, no North American dates. It's rough being a Power Metal fan in the US sometimes.
I am so stoked for this album. Also, it is really difficult trying to get everyone onboard for an Avantasia tour, so i am just glad that they are playing again. Even if they are not in Sweden so far...

Twilight Force is like Rhapsody but without the virtouso-talent and groundbreaking powerful music. Its like Rhapsody had a baby with freedom call.

How about some Rhapsody?

Fabio Lione is great.

Rhapsody is always a hit :) I found Lucas new album to be just as good as the old ones, but in a more unique way.

They never sounded so cinematic before...

Since nuclear have barley allowed like 2 videos of his new album on youtube, checkout the guitar solo from the lord of ther ring song:

Classic Turilli.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Some Epic Doom Metal

EDIT: I made a mistake, it is actually doom metal. Thank you for the correction Necropolis.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
_mdfxiv_17july.jpg

Tickets are going on sale earlier and earlier (as in today, 10 moths from the fest) and are more expensive each year. But whatever, it's MDF.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Some Sludge Metal

Solitude Aeturnus really don't have anything to do with sludge metal, they're doom metal in its most epic fashion in similar sense as Candlemass and Solstice. Sludge metal is doom metal-ish but way more influenced by hardcore, listen to Eyehategod, for instance.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Solitude Aeturnus really don't have anything to do with sludge metal, they're doom metal in its most epic fashion in similar sense as Candlemass and Solstice. Sludge metal is doom metal-ish but way more influenced by hardcore, listen to Eyehategod, for instance.

I actually had to look that up. Lol

My bad, it is indeed doom metal after double checking with Encyclopedia Metallum. Admittedly, outside of power metal, death, and Heavy Metal, I'm not well versed in other sub genres.

I just typed "Sludge Metal" in youtube and this came up and I only thought. I'll fix that though. But I will say, Doom Metal is pretty good and I like it.

Last edited:

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013

If you liked that SA album, Candlemass's first few albums are mandatory. 'Epicus Doomicus Metallicus' is one of my favorite metal albums of all-time, 'Nightfall' is almost as good. 'Ancient Dreams' and 'Tales of Creation' are great as well.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I hate that "sludge metal" is a generally accepted term. It should simply be "sludge," in my opinion. The roots of sludge are just as much Black Flag as they are Black Sabbath. Authentic sludge draws heavily from crust and hardcore punk. The B-side of My War is prototype of the sludge sound that would follow. Grief, Eyehategod, Dystopia, His Hero is Gone, Noothgrush, and their ilk all have easily discernible ties to the punk side of the imaginary line that separates the two genres. It really wasn't until the mid/late-2000s that the Savannah bands (Mastodon, Black Tusk, Kylesa, etc) really pushed sludge further away from punk territory towards stoner music and that "sludge metal" became a thing. Personally, I find "sludgecore" to be a more accurate moniker than "sludge metal" when talking about anything aside of the groove-oriented bands with Baizley cover art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad