Confirmed with Link: OFFICIAL: Martin St-Louis is the 32nd head coach in Canadiens history (3 year contract)

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
He's the guy who run the PP with the Blues and they have one of the best PP in the league, so I think he would bring a lot to the PP too.

He's running their PP right now? I did not know that. He's just a really smart guy overall. And like I said, him and Kent go way back. People can cry about the boys club again as if bringing in Jim Montgomery is anything like making Scott Mellanby your assistant GM.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Ducharme is being referred to as an idiot dinosaur coach but he was actually highly touted when he came in, with an impressive resume. I am not sure why he failed in Montreal, but it's not because he was a dim choice to lead the club. I'm pretty sure nobody thought so when he was added to the organization.
He coached differently in the NHL than he did in Junior. The shift happened about a month after he gained the bench and it gave me the impression he was just trying to please certain veterans from that point on.

It's like he just devolved into a worst version of Claude Julien.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He's running their PP right now? I did not know that. He's just a really smart guy overall. And like I said, him and Kent go way back. People can cry about the boys club again as if bringing in Jim Montgomery is anything like making Scott Mellanby your assistant GM.
Yes, he’s running there PP and men there PP was well structure.

Really bright guy and the players love him

Reactions: Price is Wright

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Slugs!! love it...............................Drouin please take note.
It’s the violence part that caught my attention.

Jukka Jalonen has coached Finland to gold medals at the WJC, WC (3 times now), and the Olympics, in addition to a Liiga title. At any level, including the NHL, his resume is one of the most impressive in the world.

We can't have him though because reasons.
Don’t know if he’ll be considered in Philly.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Ducharme is being referred to as an idiot dinosaur coach but he was actually highly touted when he came in, with an impressive resume. I am not sure why he failed in Montreal, but it's not because he was a dim choice to lead the club. I'm pretty sure nobody thought so when he was added to the organization.

He was seen as quite promising, as was Bouchard. Turns out they were both extreme busts.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
He was great for what we needed last season. He has about as much experience as your typical peewee coach which will likely be a problem when the team starts taking the next step but I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I find Richardson coaching abilities pretty terrible overall. Feel like he didnt bring much in the last years
What specifically haven't you liked about him? I don't see him having had much to work with. The only young guys with upside that passed through him were Mete and Romanov, and Mete had already basically been thrown to the wolves the year before. With Romanov we took the slower/gradual approach rather then play him on the top pairing just because the othe LD were poor and the results have been good.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He coached differently in the NHL than he did in Junior. The shift happened about a month after he gained the bench and it gave me the impression he was just trying to please certain veterans from that point on.

It's like he just devolved into a worst version of Claude Julien.
Such is normal. Don't coach men vs kids the same.
I think he came in under Julien, maybe he tried to adapt to that style. He also had the pressure from Bergevin to win, which obviously affects decisions too.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Such is normal. Don't coach men vs kids the same.
I think he came in under Julien, maybe he tried to adapt to that style. He also had the pressure from Bergevin to win, which obviously affects decisions too.
The difference wasn't something related to men vs kids coaching.

In junior, Ducharme gave ice time to the players who were doing well in that game which is what you should do in the NHL too. His first month was like that, then toward the end of March, he switched to favor his vets even when they were putrid that day. It's like he had lost the room after one month and was trying to please the vets to regain control.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
In everything, experience is important, but people should be hired because of their talent and intelligence. Experience is the easy part. It only comes with time. "Talent" gives you a head start, but a smart person learns the right things with experience, whereas a not so smart person will not learn much or anything from experience. Moral of the story: always hire based on talent and intelligence, regardless of experience.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The difference wasn't something related to men vs kids coaching.

In junior, Ducharme gave ice time to the players who were doing well in that game which is what you should do in the NHL too. His first month was like that, then toward the end of March, he switched to favor his vets even when they were putrid that day. It's like he had lost the room after one month and was trying to please the vets to regain control.
That's part of the difference mate. You have players making 5..6..7M in the NHL, some guys who just signed long-term deals too....you ain't gonna scratch those guys a few months into you takeover. Can't go in guns blazing, it won't work either.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
What people thought before he got here is almost irrelevant now though. There’s no way to sugar coat this imo, he’s terrible, roster decisions, systems, development and even his communication.

Many were excited because they knew we had to pick from a pool of francophone coaches and it wasn’t one of the recycled ones, ie Therrien, Vigneault, Hartley etc. There were no great options available, so Ducharme seemed like a logical step at the time, but he ended up being one of the worst coaches in my life time. I don’t think he will ever be HC again in the NHL, he was that bad.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
That's part of the difference mate. You have players making 5..6..7M in the NHL, some guys who just signed long-term deals too....you ain't gonna scratch those guys a few months into you takeover. Can't go in guns blazing, it won't work either.
I'm not talking about scratching. I'm talking in-game decisions. An example: there is a game where half-way into the 2nd period, he split his best line of the night the next shift after their 2nd goal. That's the only two goals the Habs scored that game, they were down by 1 goal at the time, that line was the only one with 0 goal against and there was no injuries that happened to warrant imploding the lines. Everyone played their normal TOI too.

Who ended up with the "hot" wingers for half a game: Danault.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don'T understand why Burrows and Richardson are still there.

Weird.

Well....I do. And from an outside perspective, it's probably the biggeset criticism I have with St. Louis. St. Louis is still a hockey player at heart. And after the practices, these little scrimmages he had with his assistants against players, having a lot of fun....I said not that long ago that I don't see how he'Ll suddenly go from that to you're fired.

He's having fun. He's comfortable. Why would he change that? My answer would be...to get a better bench. To help you as you are still a rookie coach. But that's clearly not how he sees it.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
MSL showed more leadership ability in his first few months than we've seen behind the bench in years.

Question will be how quickly he picks up the tactical & structural pieces of managing a team through camp & the up/down grind of the regular season.

Would be great to see them add an experienced, low ego, high competency career assistant to the bench...

Either way, looking forward to seeing what he does over next 3 seasons. My bet, he is quite successful at implementing the kind of environment where skilled players thrive & young talent develops quickly. Exactly what we need & haven't had for years, if not decades!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
MSL showed more leadership ability in his first few months than we've seen behind the bench in years.

Question will be how quickly he picks up the tactical & structural pieces of managing a team through camp & the up/down grind of the regular season.

Would be great to see them add an experienced, low ego, high competency career assistant to the bench...

Either way, looking forward to seeing what he does over next 3 seasons. My bet, he is quite successful at implementing the kind of environment where skilled players thrive & young talent develops quickly. Exactly what we need & haven't had for years, if not decades!
Agreed........the other thing he has going for him, the guys all love him, and want to play for him.
It sounds like the kids are getting the lions share of TOI and will learn to adapt to the game they are learning.

Fresh........very fresh....it also means another year of pain, more than likely.

Reactions: Miller Time

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm not talking about scratching. I'm talking in-game decisions. An example: there is a game where half-way into the 2nd period, he split his best line of the night the next shift after their 2nd goal. That's the only two goals the Habs scored that game, they were down by 1 goal at the time, that line was the only one with 0 goal against and there was no injuries that happened to warrant imploding the lines. Everyone played their normal TOI too.

Who ended up with the "hot" wingers for half a game: Danault.
Ya, scratching, benching, cutting ice time, it's all part of the same thing.
I'm not excusing Ducharme, I think he did a terrible job, just saying the realities of coaching in the NHL vs Juniors are very different.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad