Confirmed with Link: OFFICIAL: Martin St-Louis is the 32nd head coach in Canadiens history (3 year contract)

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Looks like they're embracing the rebuild. No other reason to extend an interim coach with very little coaching experience and under whom we haven't really played good hockey either (although better than Ducharme, don't get me wrong here). Three years is a long contract though.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Excited! Now to see how he'll be right from the get-go instead of coming into a situation that didn't take much to be better than the DD reign.

At the same time, it's not like we're expecting them to suddenly be a playoff team. So the expectation isn't for him to turn this around right away. But one thing we're looking for is compete level and entertainment, even in losses. And I fully believe that MSL will help bring that out of the players.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Excited! Now to see how he'll be right from the get-go instead of coming into a situation that didn't take much to be better than the DD reign.

At the same time, it's not like we're expecting them to suddenly be a playoff team. So the expectation isn't for him to turn this around right away. But one thing we're looking for is compete level and entertainment, even in losses. And I fully believe that MSL will help bring that out of the players.
Honestly, I think the last thing he should do for next year is to change his approach. It is not like we will be a contending team next year.

Continue to get the best out of rookies. Let them make mistake, make them progress. Sacrifice the now for the future. Maybe we will be worst on the short term, but it will be so much beneficial for the future.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Guess we shall see where this goes. He surprised me last season and he looks like a good guy to be coach while rebuilding. I can only hope he continues to develop as a coach while he helps the young guys he seemed to inspire last season to do better.

Reactions: FloJack

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I was hoping for a legitimate coaching search but knew this was going to be the outcome. Hopefully some new assistants come in to help him out and clean up our brutal special teams.

He'll get better with experience, so hopefully he grows with the young core

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Great hire! I love what St-Louis did with the team this season. His work with Caufield and to a lesser extend Suzuki has been phenomenal. I love his approach to letting the kids play. His team is fun to watch and a breath of fresh air.

I think they should have settled for 2 years since St-Louis still has limited coaching experience but who cares it’s Molson’s money and doesn’t negatively impact the team.

Now please hire a competent PP coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
The Habs could've finished 5-32-0 with him and I still would've wanted him back.

It has been over 2 decades of coaches here playing it "safe" and relying on shitty veterans instead of giving young kids an opportunity.

Our 3 top scorers under MSL were 3 of our youngest forwards, Romanov made MASSIVE strides and was playing huge minutes to end the year, Evans had 17 points in 35 games which is solid 3rd line production and even veterans like Petry looked significantly better.

Excited to see how the team looks after a full training camp with MSL and he's the perfect guy to have around a young group as we move forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad