*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2014 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
I so hope this is true. For a few reasons :)

It is. You could also make the argument that any GM with half a brain can build up a team for 3 years to take 1 year shot at the title and still not win the "biggie". Guelph won't win any championships this season. Likely not even their division. Too many holes. No one can say Guelph deserved to win in '14 the way Edmonton played. Edmonton and Val-d'Or played pro style hockey while Guelph and London played like junior teams. Guelph being the better junior team. Everyone is ready to write off the big slow d-man and size in general in hockey, yet Edmonton did a masterful job in their own end and only got better as the tournament went on. They did the same thing to Portland.

Guelph was a run and gun team that was heavily out matched on the boards and puck battles in general. Fun to watch, but I think the OHL has not been as well prepared for the Memorial Cup as the other Leagues the past few years.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
It is. You could also make the argument that any GM with half a brain can build up a team for 3 years to take 1 year shot at the title and still not win the "biggie". Guelph won't win any championships this season. Likely not even their division. Too many holes. No one can say Guelph deserved to win in '14 the way Edmonton played. Edmonton and Val-d'Or played pro style hockey while Guelph and London played like junior teams. Guelph being the better junior team. Everyone is ready to write off the big slow d-man and size in general in hockey, yet Edmonton did a masterful job in their own end and only got better as the tournament went on. They did the same thing to Portland.

Guelph was a run and gun team that was heavily out matched on the boards and puck battles in general. Fun to watch, but I think the OHL has not been as well prepared for the Memorial Cup as the other Leagues the past few years.

No it is not true Mike Kelly is 0-2 as a GM in Mem Cup tourneys

1996 with Guelph
2014 with Guelph

check the records

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
No it is not true Mike Kelly is 0-2 as a GM in Mem Cup tourneys

1996 with Guelph
2014 with Guelph

check the records

True. Though the '98 team was essentially one that he built.

Hard to call him the best GM in the OHL if you follow your criteria, esp. since a .250 batting average is still better than .000. And what did he get accomplished in Windsor? If it's all about winning the big money making, gimmick event, where's the criticism for Kelly's 5 or so years in Windsor where they didn't even sniff an OHL title?

Last edited:

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
There's an article in today's Globe and Mail, "Vancouver weighs youth against growth", that discusses the prospect of Horvat sticking with the Canucks this season. According to the writer, David Ebner, 23 yr old Linden Vey, a centre recently acquired from L.A., has a better chance of cracking the opening-day lineup than Horvat.
The author goes on to say that the Canucks are eager for young players like Horvat to contribute, but realize that it's important not to rush their prospects. Here are some quotes from the Vancouver brass:
"Bo Horvat is going to get an opportunity" (Trevor Linden).
"It's a big step from junior hockey right to the NHL...He's [Horvat's] an important guy for us going forward. But we don't want to rush him. We want to make sure he's developed properly, so there's a foundation there, so that when he comes up and plays, he's ready to handle the load." (Jim Benning)

These comments are quite typical of management, yet what I found most interesting about the article is that the author surmises that if Bo does NOT make Vancouver this year then this means that "the Canucks longer-term NHL forecast for him is as a defensive-oriented player, a third-line centre who is able to defend against the best players on other teams", or in Benning's words, a "matchup guy".

Ebner's view implies that if Bo's good enough to make the team this year then it's because the Canucks think (or expect) that he has an offensive upside to his game, and if not, then he's cast as a career third-line checker. There is no mention of the possibility that Bo returns to London this season, and then at some point develops into a second-line scoring centre in the NHL.
Clearly, there's pressure in Vancouver to show some return for the Schneider trade, but if you're a Canucks' fan, you might want to be patient.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
kellly

Hard to call him the best GM in the OHL if you follow your criteria, esp. since a .250 batting average is still better than .000. And what did he get accomplished in Windsor? If it's all about winning the big money making, gimmick event, where's the criticism for Kelly's 5 or so years in Windsor where they didn't even sniff an OHL title?

Re Mike Kelly

The Riolo years were the worst in team history no gm under his ownership would have succeeded and that includes Hunter and Rychel
Kelly is my choice for mostly personal reasons,over Hunter and Rychel, I just would take him over those 2 and others

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Exactly what I was getting at :).

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Re Mike Kelly

The Riolo years were the worst in team history no gm under his ownership would have succeeded and that includes Hunter and Rychel
Kelly is my choice for mostly personal reasons,over Hunter and Rychel, I just would take him over those 2 and others

You said "best" ;), not your choice, and has been pointed out it's against your criteria you repeatedly throw around ;)

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Re Mike Kelly

You said "best" ;), not your choice, and has been pointed out it's against your criteria you repeatedly throw around ;)

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Thanks for the update Neili.
It'll be interesting to see who, if any of the 3 with NHL/OHL only options gets. Sent back and what Mark chooses to do.
I know many of us on here agree with the sell sell sell theory but we'll see.
I won't be surprised if that's not the case depending on who comes back .;)

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

That's a pretty uninformed opinion. If you want to criticize him for not bringing a championship that's fine. Instead you should look at him coming in to clean up the mess that was left prior to his arrival. It was a revolving door of coaches Tony Curtale, Vern Stenlund, Dave Prpich and many more before those guys. Kelly cleaned up the mess and brought stability, hired a terrific coach in Tom Webster. Drafted his ass off even with garbage facilities (Ott, Gleason, Kennedy, Dickson etc.) Yes he had his flops like Maccarone but he also swung a big trade for Spezza, Vince Grant(they don't win round 1 against Sarnia without him), Wellwood etc.. His crowning moment came making the Western Final against Erie, probably should have made a couple more trades that year because they were capable of winning it all with Hildenbrand, Wellwood, Ott, Kennedy, Hennigar up front.

Yes Mike Kelly is the best GM in the OHL he won with garbage facilities, he's won with great facilities. Mark Hunter knew he wasn't astute enough to win with garbage facilities and needed a palace to win. He's no different than Phil Jackson who needed some of the greatest players of all time to lead him to titles. Kelly absolutely pantsed Mark Hunter this year and that was evident during the OHL playoffs and Memorial Cup.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Yes Mike Kelly is the best GM in the OHL he won with garbage facilities, he's won with great facilities. Mark Hunter knew he wasn't astute enough to win with garbage facilities and needed a palace to win. He's no different than Phil Jackson who needed some of the greatest players of all time to lead him to titles. Kelly absolutely pantsed Mark Hunter this year and that was evident during the OHL playoffs and Memorial Cup.

This is one of the most moronic posts I've ever read. Can we please somehow block Windsor IP's from posting on the Knights board?
So did Rychel only win because of the "palace" they built?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
This is one of the most moronic posts I've ever read. Can we please somehow block Windsor IP's from posting on the Knights board?

Starting to look that way. It wasn't a moronic post but your beaut of saying Bergman having 2 years in London when he only has 1 was a lot better. Thanks for playing kid.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Razor I think you missed BIspoint. Or choose to ignore it.
HL uses memorial cup success as the be all end all when pumping the Spits tires over n over n over then calls Smith the best when he doesn't win.
Using both sides of a coin n the same type arguement really takes away from the strength of an arguement

You post would be far to easy to pick apart so I'll leave it at tthat

the man22

Jun 11, 2014
Knights sign Henderson

His numbers.

Eric Henderson
Left Wing
Born April 23, 1998 – Windsor, ON
Height 5.11.5 – Weight 167lbs – Shoots L
Season Team League GP G A P PIM
2013-14 Sun County Panthers M. Midget AAA AliMin 32 17 11 28 8
2013-14 Leamington Flyers GOJHL 5 4 2 6 2

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Gang Green

Starting to look that way. It wasn't a moronic post but your beaut of saying Bergman having 2 years in London when he only has 1 was a lot better. Thanks for playing kid.

Its too bad when someone favors censorship over opinion on a free forum, and then when corrected does not admit his error re Bergman, me I apologize when wrong to the one I wrongly corrected, guess some folks have difficulty showing etiquette

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
That's a pretty uninformed opinion. If you want to criticize him for not bringing a championship that's fine. Instead you should look at him coming in to clean up the mess that was left prior to his arrival. It was a revolving door of coaches Tony Curtale, Vern Stenlund, Dave Prpich and many more before those guys. Kelly cleaned up the mess and brought stability, hired a terrific coach in Tom Webster. Drafted his ass off even with garbage facilities (Ott, Gleason, Kennedy, Dickson etc.) Yes he had his flops like Maccarone but he also swung a big trade for Spezza, Vince Grant(they don't win round 1 against Sarnia without him), Wellwood etc.. His crowning moment came making the Western Final against Erie, probably should have made a couple more trades that year because they were capable of winning it all with Hildenbrand, Wellwood, Ott, Kennedy, Hennigar up front.

Your first paragraph just highlights what a ridiculous notion it is to annoint the best GM based solely on Memorial Cup wins. You proved my point which I was questioning the other poster on. Then he admitted it was a personal thing - no need to say anymore.

I disagree with a lot of the last paragraph. Facilities didn't draft Perry, Quincey, Syvret, Methot, Coleman, Nash, etc as those happened before 2002. What's the excuse for having poor drafts in 2007 and 2012 then? They had the facilities. Hunter must just be a moron, right? Or maybe all teams have good drafts and bad drafts over their lifetime in an OHL front office?

Big Punisher*

May 23, 2014

I always get a kick out of how much Knights fans hate hearing the truth. If Mark Hunter was so smart, and so great, why haven't other teams / organizations come looking for him? You would think a billionaire owner of a struggling NHL team would want a guy as "successful" as Hunter to turn the ship around. Or maybe Hockey Canada would beg him to come on board. But nope, not at all. David Branch had to strong arm Hockey Canada into even considering Hunter. When has Branch ever done that for another coach? Face it, everyone in hockey knows why London is "successful".

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
I always get a kick out of how much Knights fans hate hearing the truth. If Mark Hunter was so smart, and so great, why haven't other teams / organizations come looking for him? You would think a billionaire owner of a struggling NHL team would want a guy as "successful" as Hunter to turn the ship around. Or maybe Hockey Canada would beg him to come on board. But nope, not at all. David Branch had to strong arm Hockey Canada into even considering Hunter. When has Branch ever done that for another coach? Face it, everyone in hockey knows why London is "successful".

4 Posts
4 Conspiracies
0 Substance

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Branch has advocated OHL personnel on their behalf to Hockey Canada before

You do realize Mark owns the team, has a ton of cash tied up in local business, and that he is very involved in all aspects of his businesses and that he has family here he wants to watch grow up and be involved with ( ie coaching) and that he's financially set and maybe doesn't want, def doesn't need the cash?
In other words maybe just maybe he's content where he is? And making as much cash as any GM would offer while taking control of his businesses to run them the way he wants and not leave it up to others

As far as strong arm comment, do you have Mark n Dale confused?
Is Mark not going to be involved? We're they both part of a successful Hockey Canada team?

Or maybe it is what u say. .:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad