*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2014 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
Will our starting goalies next year be the two that we just drafted? I imagine Patterson wouldn't want to come back and might as well start the rebuild.
I really hope the Ruperts aren't back as O/A....their play has declined each year.
Looking forward to the new crop of players coming in, team really needs an overhaul.
I feel worse this morning than I did last night....I wish we at least put up a fight. Feel bad for Zach Bell, what a trooper making the come back and a sad ending.
I will say one more thing about last nights game....I really think the refs did everything in their power to keep the Knights in the game for as long as possible. Which makes it even worse as to how bad we got beat. :laugh:

Anyone want tickets to the semi's? I have four :laugh: I realize I may have to pay somebody to take them. I may just go though....after all, non Knights games have been the most entertaining to date.
To all the die hard Knights fans, I wish you a good off season :nod:

fanofdo

Oct 31, 2009
why does Domi slash a player after the final whistle? C'mon , man.

Only speculating, but....

You can be assured that part of Guelph's game plan (as was almost any team's game plan) was to lay some lumber on Max at every opportunity as well as just about anything else they could do to get him off his game - without getting a penalty. You can also be assured that Max was told to suck it up - there will be an opportunity for payback - when the time is right.

Guelph players also knew they had one coming back at the appropriate time - it was no doubt that Walker told the boys you need to put up with some crap that you might not normally put up with - there is a bigger prize at the end of the rainbow.

None of the players were surprised - or were the refs. The players have seen this countless times before their tenure in the OHL. Many have probably been sucked in - good players reacting to the extra stick work - getting a penalty or getting tossed during an important game. Players about to advance in a tournament, responding to an end of game slash, only to be suspended and not play in the final.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Why the Knights really lost! It has to do with sanctions, no, not league sanctions, 'divine sanctions'. I'm sure you've heard of the Myth of Sisyphus. Here's the Knights' version starring Mark Hunter as Sisyphus.

Back in 2005, Mark Hunter assembled a 'god-like team', a team unlike any other. This act of hubris caused the hockey gods to put a curse on the Knights. After the 2005 Memorial Cup, London was condemned to win OHL Championships (at best), but never again, a Memorial Cup.

And, there you have it "The Myth of Hunter". :cry:

KnightRanger

Dec 30, 2009
Waterloo
I think bringing outside players like, Bender, McCarron and Yakimowicz has proven to be a mistake!

I hate to say it, but if you had to pick the 3 most overrateed players in the Ohl this year, the Knights might sweep the podium!

And would anyone else agree that Dale has seemed to go soft??? Back in the day, players that didn't play to their potential, didn't play! Stupid penalties were dealt with. This year and last I have seen a big change here.

The Hunters have made the Knighs what they are and we can all thank them for that and I am not suggesting to have them move on, but maybe just some role changes! They are great at recruiting players.

Need some fear put back in the players to play to their potential regardless of the name on the back of the Jersey!

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
This to me is the beginning of the end in London. I'm really starting to believe the rumours I've been hearing all week.

Just something that I've heard and not sure if similar to what you've heard (absolutely zero to back this up) but I've heard that Shanahan has talked to MH about coming onboard in some capacity with TML.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Besides Domi's season in a Knights' jersey, Gemel Smith was probably second in line for most disappointing ever. I literally didn't notice him in the Memorial Cup until he laid a few cheap shots and was tossed in the dying minutes of the third.

I have to agree with the above poster who said bringing in some of these guys was a detriment. From all accounts, the dressing room seemed divided and it was some of the more arrogant players that seemed to lead the way.

I wonder what will happen with Bo Horvat. I know the Canucks want him to challenge in camp. I know he battled through a few injuries late in the season. I know most think he will probably turn pro (me included) but I wonder what is really best for his development. The answer is probably going to the AHL but man, he was just another Knight who was invisible in the Memorial Cup for the most part.

Zadorov had a game to forget as well.

London's best players were far from exactly that, their best.

Moving forward, I think London will be better off. They'll have some rebuilding to do but as usual, there are some VERY bright players to build off of and those that should have no trouble adjusting to the game.

Marner is going to be a stud.

London*

Marner is going to be a stud, if he starts shooting the puck. This tournament he looked scared to shoot. Domi was in his first season too and that changed, so I'm sure Marner will too.

I don't think there's anyone that wants to see Domi in a Knights jersey next year, McCarron as well. McCarron should go back to school, get an education.

yanksrule*

Bertuzzi

hey north bay fan here....and London you are totally correct.....Bertuzzi is a classless piece of you know what....what he did in North Bay after game three is a disgrace..i wish the ***** would have stayed down

London*

hey north bay fan here....and London you are totally correct.....Bertuzzi is a classless piece of you know what....what he did in North Bay after game three is a disgrace..i wish the ***** would have stayed down

Hilarious Guelph fans are defending him. It all happened right in front of me, absolutely terrible kid. Though in reality, is just a kid, kids make stupid decisions. Hopefully he matures, gets some morals and values, because he's one hell of a hockey player.

What did he do after game 3 in north bay?

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
Marner is going to be a stud, if he starts shooting the puck. This tournament he looked scared to shoot. Domi was in his first season too and that changed, so I'm sure Marner will too.

I don't think there's anyone that wants to see Domi in a Knights jersey next year, McCarron as well. McCarron should go back to school, get an education.

Very good point. I hope Marner spends the offeason strengthening his upper body and shooting pucks until his hands bleed. He doesn't appear to have that great of a shot, but with his skill to get in positions to release a shot, he needs to have that as a weapon. His playmaking skills are off the charts. But he needs to add that element to his game.

yanksrule*

Hilarious Guelph fans are defending him. It all happened right in front of me, absolutely terrible kid. Though in reality, is just a kid, kids make stupid decisions. Hopefully he matures, gets some morals and values, because he's one hell of a hockey player.

What did he do after game 3 in north bay?

He gave the finger to the fans.....wouldn't expect anything less from the *********

London*

He gave the finger to the fans.....wouldn't expect anything less from the *********

Wow, not surprised at all though. Did they fine Guelph at all? They should in those situations.

Last night he took his helmet off, turned around, banged the glass on the bench, and just started screaming **ck YOU in no particular direction. In my opinion there should be fines for even this sort of stuff, these things are family events, the guy is going to be a professional hockey player and can't take the opposition not liking him?

Classless idiot for sure.

The diving and faking the injury aren't good either, but part of the game. There's no place in the game for the other crap.

I'm surprised the Guelph fan boys defend him, knowing he has a history of idiocy.

Wow, not surprised at all though. Did they fine Guelph at all? They should in those situations.

Last night he took his helmet off, turned around, banged the glass on the bench, and just started screaming **ck YOU in no particular direction. In my opinion there should be fines for even this sort of stuff, these things are family events, the guy is going to be a professional hockey player and can't take the opposition not liking him?

Classless idiot for sure.

The diving and faking the injury aren't good either, but part of the game. There's no place in the game for the other crap.

I'm surprised the Guelph fan boys defend him, knowing he has a history of idiocy.
I'm in no way defending Bertuzzi..I've said my piece on him earlier in the season and have had the perspective on him since he entered the league. But I'll chalk last night up to emotion and cockiness. He drove it right down the Knights throat. The kid can play..and that arrogance and aura of entitlement is what will make him an NHLer.

for a comparison...see Claude Lemieux' career

bonksman

Sep 5, 2013
I will express my thoughts and opinions now, and i apologize if it may have already been said by other people......i thought the Knights put in an embarrassing effort in this tournament and in my opinion ought to be ashamed of how they performed in front of their home fans who shelled out a lot of money for these games. All season long, i heard players saying they didn't want to go thru the back door, they wanted to go via the front, but yet they ended up via the back door. Then after that happened, i heard we are going to relish our opportunity now, we are ready to go for the Cup and we want to win it this time, actions speak louder than words. I have NEVER BEEN so disappointed with a team as this year, isn't this the season they were supposedly building for since 2011???? this was supposed to be their best season and it was their worst of the three. Right from start to finish, this team missed something, and they never found it. Imo, too many passengers on this team and too many nhl drafted players playing like privleaged individuals. Yes, i know they are teenagers, but they still should have been better. to me it looked like it was their first time in the memorial cup instead of their third time in a row. Where was Domi? Where was Horvat? Where was Tierney??? Where was Smith who wanted to take advantage of a second time around? They were all missing in action. Many people said a full healthy team in the playoffs Vs Guelph would have made that different, but based on last nights game, im not convinced of that, a full healthy lineup didnt' change a thing in that game. To me this game is about winnign the ultimate prize, the Memorial Cup, not just being in the mix every year, and the kNights failed on that big time. First time in jr history a team makes three straight memorial cups ,, and not wins at least ONE!!! in fact, they get worse each year instead of better, 2 wins to 1 win to zip nada. To me , this last year takes something out of this 3 year run and it doesn't make it that magical or special. Thats just my two cents, some will agree , some will disagree, but im not alone im sure, season ticket holders were in front of me all tournament and they called the knights effort 'embarrassing'. i wouldn't be opposed to some shakeups in the offseason, maybe time for someone else to coach instead of Dale, Dale seems to have lost his magic and influence

I will express my thoughts and opinions now, and i apologize if it may have already been said by other people......i thought the Knights put in an embarrassing effort in this tournament and in my opinion ought to be ashamed of how they performed in front of their home fans who shelled out a lot of money for these games. All season long, i heard players saying they didn't want to go thru the back door, they wanted to go via the front, but yet they ended up via the back door. Then after that happened, i heard we are going to relish our opportunity now, we are ready to go for the Cup and we want to win it this time, actions speak louder than words. I have NEVER BEEN so disappointed with a team as this year, isn't this the season they were supposedly building for since 2011???? this was supposed to be their best season and it was their worst of the three. Right from start to finish, this team missed something, and they never found it. Imo, too many passengers on this team and too many nhl drafted players playing like privleaged individuals. Yes, i know they are teenagers, but they still should have been better. to me it looked like it was their first time in the memorial cup instead of their third time in a row. Where was Domi? Where was Horvat? Where was Tierney??? Where was Smith who wanted to take advantage of a second time around? They were all missing in action. Many people said a full healthy team in the playoffs Vs Guelph would have made that different, but based on last nights game, im not convinced of that, a full healthy lineup didnt' change a thing in that game. To me this game is about winnign the ultimate prize, the Memorial Cup, not just being in the mix every year, and the kNights failed on that big time. First time in jr history a team makes three straight memorial cups ,, and not wins at least ONE!!! in fact, they get worse each year instead of better, 2 wins to 1 win to zip nada. To me , this last year takes something out of this 3 year run and it doesn't make it that magical or special. Thats just my two cents, some will agree , some will disagree, but im not alone im sure, season ticket holders were in front of me all tournament and they called the knights effort 'embarrassing'. i wouldn't be opposed to some shakeups in the offseason, maybe time for someone else to coach instead of Dale, Dale seems to have lost his magic and influence

When you fail..it usually is embarrassing. Solid post.

London*

I'm in no way defending Bertuzzi..I've said my piece on him earlier in the season and have had the perspective on him since he entered the league. But I'll chalk last night up to emotion and cockiness. He drove it right down the Knights throat. The kid can play..and that arrogance and aura of entitlement is what will make him an NHLer.

for a comparison...see Claude Lemieux' career

He will be an NHLer for sure, I'd love to have him on my team. I don't think he's anywhere near the level of someone like Claude Lemieux, but he'll be a decent NHLer. I also think he'll get put into check a lot better in the next level, and that may change things a bit.

I'd much rather have a player on my team, with Bertuzzi's skill and style of play, but with some class as well :nono:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
He will be an NHLer for sure, I'd love to have him on my team. I don't think he's anywhere near the level of someone like Claude Lemieux, but he'll be a decent NHLer. I also think he'll get put into check a lot better in the next level, and that may change things a bit.

I'd much rather have a player on my team, with Bertuzzi's skill and style of play, but with some class as well :nono:

In most fans eyes what separates 'total jerks' and 'folk heros' is the jersey they wear!

London*

In most fans eyes what separates 'total jerks' and 'folk heros' is the jersey they wear!

For sure, there's some differences though. Guelph is replying with "well Domi is a classless idiotic too"

And I don't think there's any London fan that would disagree.

As a fan of the game, and hopefully an intelligent one, you can be thankful the agitating player is on your team and producing, but you should also be able to point out that he's a piece of crap.

In fact, I'd probably rather have Bertuzzi on my team than Domi.

Last edited by a moderator:

London*

Yak has no business being listed with that group - none.

He was and is an asset.

Where are you pulling Yak from?!

In my opinion, he was the best player in the tournament for the knights. He's going to be great next year.

Bender got what, 20 shifts all year? I'm not sure why they brought Bender over at all, kind of wasted the kids time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad