Not open for further replies.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
In "least surprising news of the offseason":

Kitchener Rangers ‏@OHLRangers · 10m
GM Murray Hiebert announced today that F Gustaf Franzen has commited to the Rangers!

I love players with character. Kohn although small seems to get under opponent's skin for some reason or other.

He's a really good shift disturber - he must chirp a LOT. I love the kid.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Good to hear it was finalized. I would have been somewhat more surprised if there weren't pictures released of him intown on the import draft day. ;)

I assumed he would sign but when it becomes official when an import signs I always breathe a sigh of relief.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
I assumed he would sign but when it becomes official when an import signs I always breathe a sigh of relief.

I hear you. I would just hope that Kitchener is one of those teams that always does their homework first....unless someone tries to poach one from us (Landeskog). I dont remember us picking an import in recent history that hasnt reported.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
as per Josh Brown on twitter...

Kitchener Rangers fill OA void with D Liam Maaskant from Sudbury in exchange for sixth round pick in 2015.

I believe he meant Barrie not Sudbury!

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
as per Josh Brown on twitter...

I believe he meant Barrie not Sudbury!

Yes it would be Barrie. Here is the release from Rangers
http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/article/rangers-and-colts-complete-trade

In the trade, the Rangers acquire overage defenceman Liam Maaskant from the Colts, in exchange for Sudbury’s sixth round pick in the 2015 Ontario Hockey League Priority Selection.

Its Sudbury's draft pick which could have lead to the confussion.

I thought we already had too man D that could play. Either multiple battles for spots in training camp, another deal is in the works or someone's not coming back?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Other than Iafrate, there wasn't a lot of experience on the back end (as in almost none) so this move makes sense to a point. I just hope it doesn't mean that Iafrate is gone or becoming a forward (I seem to recall Washington wanted to try him at F instead of on D).

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Other than Iafrate, there wasn't a lot of experience on the back end (as in almost none) so this move makes sense to a point. I just hope it doesn't mean that Iafrate is gone or becoming a forward (I seem to recall Washington wanted to try him at F instead of on D).

With the West wide open any little move could make the world of difference. But it still will come down to the goalkeeping. Like I said more than a few times I'm firmly in Greenfields camp for him to grab the No1 job and run with it! I just have a hunch (leap of faith?) that he'll surprise a lot of fans this season especially with an improved d-corps in front of him. The spotlight with be on Mike VanRyn to see how he can develop the d-men (and get help from the forwards, last yr a lot of bad plays by the d-man could be solely contributed to play up front by the forwards).

This is a big year for both Heibert and Smith in their second yr of the two yr contracts!

Btw...was Iafrate drafted or signed by Washington?

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
I wasnt able to attend tonight. I read Josh Brown's footnotes. As Ward mentioned, Soper claimed on waivers by London, Blasby applying to play overseas with IIHF, and Learn released. I see that Teskey is attending camp. Lafontaine focusing on OJHL this year. I see the financials are on par. And the scoreboard and sound system are being upgraded. Any other roster/team news?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I wasnt able to attend tonight. I read Josh Brown's footnotes. As Ward mentioned, Soper claimed on waivers by London, Blasby applying to play overseas with IIHF, and Learn released. I see that Teskey is attending camp. Lafontaine focusing on OJHL this year. I see the financials are on par. And the scoreboard and sound system are being upgraded. Any other roster/team news?

One item that I could be reading between the lines, but they were talking about some of the new rules when either Hiebert or Bienkowski mentioned some more new rules will be announced shortly.
They didn't get into specifics but if I had to bet it sounded like there may be some cap put on trades (or such, maybe lowering the number of cards per season?). Like i said they didn't get into specifics!

^ did anyone else catch this?

Last edited:

avalanches78

Aug 27, 2014
Mete an option with the extra D we have?

With the price Logan Brown ended up costing the Spits I wonder if anyone still thinks that Metes is still a possible trade. I don't think that the Knights have enough to offer in terms of draft pick. Kitchener has a couple of young D we could trade though if OS is willing to drop the number of picks significantly if Kitchener offered Logan Schmidt or Frank Hora in the deal. But not having seen Metes play I am not sure that he would be worth loosing a player like Hora.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
With the price Logan Brown ended up costing the Spits I wonder if anyone still thinks that Metes is still a possible trade. I don't think that the Knights have enough to offer in terms of draft pick. Kitchener has a couple of young D we could trade though if OS is willing to drop the number of picks significantly if Kitchener offered Logan Schmidt or Frank Hora in the deal. But not having seen Metes play I am not sure that he would be worth loosing a player like Hora.

Unless the rules have changed, trades of this type can only involve draft picks. Actual players cannot be dealt.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Saw Mete in the midget tourney at the Aud. Small Dman. Smooth skater. Can't see him handling any big experienced forwards without difficulty. I would rather the team stay away from small D. Personally I would rather have Hora.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Saw on twitter where Mike Davies and Scott Pederson will miss the camp with injuries. Davies seems to be injury prone for what ever reason. They hope to get them back for preseason exhibition games but it's not certain.

avalanches78

Aug 27, 2014
Thanks for the info

Saw Mete in the midget tourney at the Aud. Small Dman. Smooth skater. Can't see him handling any big experienced forwards without difficulty. I would rather the team stay away from small D. Personally I would rather have Hora.

Thanks for the information. I didn't know much about Metes but there seemed to be a lot of hype about him on other boards. I am not sure what we will do with all the D we have though. We will not be a contender this year, but if we get a few more good prospects we can be pretty strong for the next two years, that's why with all the hype about him I thought he could have been a good pick up.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
At camp last night. Blue and White practice. Hard to make an assessment on any players abilities. One player I noticed was Alex Friesen. 15th round draft pick 2013. Kid has speed going for him. Gustaf Franzen import was there. I really liked what I saw from goalie Julian Sime. Seemed confident in net for a young kid. Made some great saves. Mascherin looks like a decent skater. Made a couple of great plays and score one nice goal. Seems to have a real nose for the puck. Kohn looked like he gained some speed over the summer.

avalanches78

Aug 27, 2014
This morning scrimmage

Has anyone seen the whole scrimmage this morning? I was able to go for the last 7 minutes of the third period and the shootout. Got to see a goal by Robinson and one by Magyar or Franzen I was not sure who got the last one for team Blue. But with the score 7-7 it did not sound like it was a goalies game for sure.
The shootout did not start good for both goalies (Dekort and Greenfield) but they did stop a few guys pushing it to a six shooter (each side) shootout. Franzen had a beauty against Greenfield.
Also in the short time I was there I did notice Mascherin seems to go in front of the net and stayed there. If he does that and is willing to take the punishment that comes with it that's good news. We have not had a player going in front of the net with good hands in a while and that just gives clear view to the other teams goalie to see everything.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I was there for two periods. Not a great day for any goalies. It still looks like an issue this year. Can't see much of an improvement with the tandem we had last year. Mascherin does a great job going to the net and staying there. Makes some intelligent passes. Hard to tell if last year's group has improved. Looked the same to me. Tesky still floats and makes no physical contact. That one is still a mystery. Guess someone see's something there.

avalanches78

Aug 27, 2014
Scrimmage

Thanks for the info bobber. I am planning to be at tonight's scrimmage for the whole game so I am curious to see if of the guys will be talked to between the first scrimmage and the second one. I am guessing the first round of cuts will be done tonight.

I am expecting Teskey to be a late cut/waiver, but I still do not expect him to make this lineup. If he is we either have not improved much and that's bad or he has made huge strides. But from what you saw not too that much stride made this year for him.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Just watching Tesky on one shift. The puck was circled behind the net in the offensive end. He let an opponent take it when he could have beat him to it. The play continued to the other end where he stood back behind the play and never picked up a man until the play was whistled. He just will not contact opponents physically. Seems like a decent skater but is intimidated by contact. I think at this stage in the game 19 year old players need to show something to earn a spot . At least Soper would hit when he played here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad