*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2014 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
After reading Josh Brown's blog on how Hiebert sees the Rangers being next year, I thought I'd put in my two cents worth here.

I agree that we need offense in the worst way. We have pretty good forwards but none are elite. None are the kind that make everyone around them better the way a Derek Roy or Jeff Skinner did.

Here's hoping that Sarnia picks Chychrun so we can pick Mascherin with the 2nd overall pick. Also, I'd like us to take the best forward available with the 4th overall pick in the import draft. Preferably a 1997 born player who will hopefully be here 2 years minimum.

Some have suggested we take a d-man with that import pick if we take a forward with the OHL pick or vice versa. Me, I think loading up offensively is more important. We are pretty deep on the back end and maybe we can deal for a high end d-man.

Perhaps we can put together a package of players/picks to land '95D-Anthony DeAngelo. He apparently is on the "outs" in Sarnia and he'd be incredible on the PP. Maybe we send them a young d-man and a couple of picks. Would '96D-Schmidt and 2 of our 3 picks in this year's 3rd round get the job done? We'd still have a pick in each of the 1st three rounds.

Or perhaps a young forward could go there in a deal. We are going to have to make room for incoming players among our forwards. Providing we get MM back as an OA. here are the forwards currently on our roster that I see making this team on opening night. The empty spaces being filled by our 1st pick in both drafts and maybe a player or two who were call ups during the season last year, one of our prospects drafted in the 2013 OHL draft, or acquired forward(s) via the trade route.

Pederson - MacInnis - Magyar
Robinson - Marcantuoni - Bailey
Llewellyn - Kohn -
Davies -

That's it.

-No room for Meighan as an OA if MM returns. They are both centers and MacInnis and Kohn need the minutes. Maybe he could be moved for another OA in another position. Or if MM doesn't return, he could center the third line.

-Soper and Teskey won't be good enough. They pretty much filled time here this year the same way the Steve Locke and Ben Skinner in our last non playoff season.

- I expect that our top picks in both drafts will trump two of Blasby, Mense-Dietrich, Cascagnette, Learn, and Bzowey. Ditto if one of our elite forwards from the 2013 draft report.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Even I doubt the Rangers would try to acquire DeAngelo. Kid has far too many issues. Schmidt is young and will develop into the same type of player DeAngelo is but maybe not quite as talented. I do think they need to find a way to tighten up the back end. That has been an issue for a while. I agree they need to find a couple of creative forwards in the two upcoming drafts. Priority and import. They lack that creative forward that can finish. You are correct about Teskey and Soper. They need to upgrade there.

Last edited:

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I agree with everything you said Even Steven and it pretty much echoes exactly what my off-season plan would be. Having said that, I don't think it's what Hiebert's plan will be.

What I mean is I can't see any way he doesn't bring Meighan back. He is one of a few players the staff loves for off-ice reasons and gives way more leeway to than most players get. Plus, the shortage of OAs will factor in as well.

There are two things I consider an absolute must for Hiebert this off season:
1) Move an import and use the #4 pick
2) Dump DeKort

I see #1 as a no-brainer and would be beyond shocked if he didn't. But #2 I'm concerned about. He and Smith seemed to be oblivious to the overwhelming evidence that JD just isn't capable of playing at this level. And after what we saw this year, to bring him back would demonstrate they are either okay with losing, or they have no clue what they're looking for in that position.

But that's just my 2 cents.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
After reading Josh Brown's blog on how Hiebert sees the Rangers being next year, I thought I'd put in my two cents worth here.

I agree that we need offense in the worst way. We have pretty good forwards but none are elite. None are the kind that make everyone around them better the way a Derek Roy or Jeff Skinner did.

Here's hoping that Sarnia picks Chychrun so we can pick Mascherin with the 2nd overall pick. Also, I'd like us to take the best forward available with the 4th overall pick in the import draft. Preferably a 1997 born player who will hopefully be here 2 years minimum.

I agree that our goal scoring needs to improve but I think that is easier to do via trade and development than defense is. I hope Sarnia passes on Chychrun so he is available to us. That kind of D man is hard to find and is what we sorely need. I see it more that our goaltending issue was the quality and amount of shots they both were seeing. Our D was letting to many scoring chances and let the opposing forwards just walk in. Getting a big D that can play both ways is more of a priority IMO. With that said, I will not be upset if we draft Mascherin or McLeod. Mascherin seems like the preferred #2 by some scouts, but I see on twitter that some Ranger fans would prefer McLeod.

Our scoring will improve with our current roster having a season under their belt. Not in the leaps and bounds but it will improve. I look at Llewellyn as a sample size. Two years ago as a rookie he was ok and learning the league. This past year he improved greatly. You hope that a couple of Magyar, MacInnis, Kohn, Davies with have that kind of progression to improve scoring as well as Robinson being healthy and coming along, as well as Bailey and the rest of the older vets. And you also have the possibilities (remote or not) of a Jermey Bracco, or Jake Henderson draftee reporting.

I understand currently we dont really have a dominating game breaking forward like a Skinner, or Landeskog...etc. on the roster this year currently but we have depth of quality players that we could package together to get a player closer to that calibre. Hopefully we dont need re-acclaimation projects to fill out our roster this year.

Our goaltending was coming along, with confidence and a stronger back end I think we will have the goaltending we need for next year. If Luke Opilka or Hayden Lavigne report then I just see it getting better from their.

And no matter what happens with the 2nd overall pick, I hope the import pick is a forward. It just a preference for me, but I usually like seeing the import slots filled on the front end.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
How can any real fan who saw this team often this year sit and say there is no room for Curtis Meighan as an o/a regardless of who returns. He is easily the hardest worker on this team hands down. He has outstanding leadership qualities which come next year with yet another young team returning will be much MUCH needed. He has had the same offensive numbers as Eric Ming entering his overage year and he put up 30+ goals this year. If you ask me, we could have used a player like that this year. Curtis Meighan is under rated and will be back next year. This isnt directed at anyone but there is a lot of people who would rather not see him back and its something I just dont understand

Last edited:

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
How can any real fan who saw this team often this year sit and say there is no room for Curtis Meighan as an o/a regardless of who returns. He is easily the hardest worker on this team hands down. He has outstanding leadership qualities which come next year with yet another young team returning will be much MUCH needed. He has had the same offensive numbers as Eric Ming entering his overage year and he put up 30+ goals this year. If you ask me, we could have used a player like that this year. Curtis Meighan is under rated and will be back next year. This isnt directed at anyone but there is a lot of people who would rather not see him back and its something I just dont understand

Fair enough Rangersfansince99. I think Meighan is a hard-worker who does everything that is asked of him and is a good example for teammates. I can't speak for other posters, but I also see a kid who is actually over-rated in the eyes of the coaches and gets far too many minutes for what he produces and for his deficiencies.

He loses just about every key draw, yet continues to be put in those situations. He is also the leading PK guy among forwards and our PK was brutal. He's not big and has a weak upper body and isn't able to win a lot of key battles (even though he tries). He also is obsessed with his ineffective slap shot.

I think the main issue is the minutes he takes from other players. I have no problem with Meighan as a 4th line (or even 3rd line) centre. But Smith plays him as a top-line guy in terms of minutes and opportunities. And as one of the few vets, you'd expect a lot more. That's just my 2 cents.

Essentially I don't trust this staff to put guys in their proper roles. A few guys kept getting run out there in key situations because they were coach's favourites and failing. If Meighan builds on some of the progress he made this year, he's a worthwhile component given his attitude and work ethic. But let's not kid ourselves - he is not exactly a high-end OA.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I agree with everything you said Even Steven and it pretty much echoes exactly what my off-season plan would be. Having said that, I don't think it's what Hiebert's plan will be.

What I mean is I can't see any way he doesn't bring Meighan back. He is one of a few players the staff loves for off-ice reasons and gives way more leeway to than most players get. Plus, the shortage of OAs will factor in as well.

There are two things I consider an absolute must for Hiebert this off season:
1) Move an import and use the #4 pick
2) Dump DeKort

I see #1 as a no-brainer and would be beyond shocked if he didn't. But #2 I'm concerned about. He and Smith seemed to be oblivious to the overwhelming evidence that JD just isn't capable of playing at this level. And after what we saw this year, to bring him back would demonstrate they are either okay with losing, or they have no clue what they're looking for in that position.
But that's just my 2 cents.

For me, I didn't think either goalie put themselves far and away ahead of the other. I'd also take Greenfield though based mainly on his success in shootouts and his play in games this year vs teams like London.

I'm hoping for one or both of Lavigne / Opilka to report. We can't go into next year with the same tandem.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I agree that our goal scoring needs to improve but I think that is easier to do via trade and development than defense is. I hope Sarnia passes on Chychrun so he is available to us. That kind of D man is hard to find and is what we sorely need. I see it more that our goaltending issue was the quality and amount of shots they both were seeing. Our D was letting to many scoring chances and let the opposing forwards just walk in. Getting a big D that can play both ways is more of a priority IMO. With that said, I will not be upset if we draft Mascherin or McLeod. Mascherin seems like the preferred #2 by some scouts, but I see on twitter that some Ranger fans would prefer McLeod.

Our scoring will improve with our current roster having a season under their belt. Not in the leaps and bounds but it will improve. I look at Llewellyn as a sample size. Two years ago as a rookie he was ok and learning the league. This past year he improved greatly. You hope that a couple of Magyar, MacInnis, Kohn, Davies with have that kind of progression to improve scoring as well as Robinson being healthy and coming along, as well as Bailey and the rest of the older vets. And you also have the possibilities (remote or not) of a Jermey Bracco, or Jake Henderson draftee reporting.

I understand currently we dont really have a dominating game breaking forward like a Skinner, or Landeskog...etc. on the roster this year currently but we have depth of quality players that we could package together to get a player closer to that calibre. Hopefully we dont need re-acclaimation projects to fill out our roster this year.

Our goaltending was coming along, with confidence and a stronger back end I think we will have the goaltending we need for next year. If Luke Opilka or Hayden Lavigne report then I just see it getting better from their.

And no matter what happens with the 2nd overall pick, I hope the import pick is a forward. It just a preference for me, but I usually like seeing the import slots filled on the front end.

This whole paragraph could be in regards to our D corps as well. That group, especially DiPerna and the 4 rookies got an incredible amount of icetime this year and should only get better as well. If Chychrun AND Mascherin were to only play 2 OHL seasons and move on to the show, wouldn't I be correct in expecting more of an impact from the forward than the d-man in their 16 and 17 aged years at this level? Unless, of course, Chychrun is Ekblad all over again.

My above suggestion of bringing in a guy like DeAngelo was only one option. I actually would like to see Hiebert bring in a veteran d-man in the mold of a Gudbranson (Soo) or Bell/Austin (Lon). We need a physical presence on the back end. The type of guy who makes you pay. Preferably a '95 birthdate that could be here as an OA the following season.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think the main issue is the minutes he takes from other players. I have no problem with Meighan as a 4th line (or even 3rd line) centre. But Smith plays him as a top-line guy in terms of minutes and opportunities. And as one of the few vets, you'd expect a lot more. That's just my 2 cents.

If Meighan builds on some of the progress he made this year, he's a worthwhile component given his attitude and work ethic. But let's not kid ourselves - he is not exactly a high-end OA.

Exactly.

The bottom line is sure, Meighan would be a decent OA but as you say, not a high end OA. MM has more pedigree, size, has stayed relatively healthy lately and is the better guy on the PK based on his speed alone. If he is returned I feel Meighan has to be moved as we cannot have two OA centers with MacInnis and Kohn around - not to mention minutes that would go to a Mascherin or a import forward if that forward were a center.

Yes, as Rangerfansince99 mentioned above, Eric Ming had a breakout season as a OA and the same may be possible next year for Meighan, but more probable on a lesser team. Niagara was rebuilding and a bottom feeder like us. They had room for Ming on their top six.

Going into next year, especially if MM returns, where do you fit Meighan in? Surely not among the top six in my opening post and likely not on the third line either once you consider possibly both incoming top picks may be forwards.

That leaves the 4th line with much PK duty, etc. Now I wonder how Meighan would feel about that? My bet is he would welcome a trade to a team where he can be penciled into their top six every night as Ming was in Niagara.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Exactly.

The bottom line is sure, Meighan would be a decent OA but as you say, not a high end OA. MM has more pedigree, size, has stayed relatively healthy lately and is the better guy on the PK based on his speed alone. If he is returned I feel Meighan has to be moved as we cannot have two OA centers with MacInnis and Kohn around - not to mention minutes that would go to a Mascherin or a import forward if that forward were a center.

Yes, as Rangerfansince99 mentioned above, Eric Ming had a breakout season as a OA and the same may be possible next year for Meighan, but more probable on a lesser team. Niagara was rebuilding and a bottom feeder like us. They had room for Ming on their top six.

Going into next year, especially if MM returns, where do you fit Meighan in? Surely not among the top six in my opening post and likely not on the third line either once you consider possibly both incoming top picks may be forwards.

That leaves the 4th line with much PK duty, etc. Now I wonder how Meighan would feel about that? My bet is he would welcome a trade to a team where he can be penciled into their top six every night as Ming was in Niagara.

Bingo. It's not about what Meighan might add. It's about what he takes away from those who could add more. You will never get more than middling play and middling results from a guy like Meighan and his minutes are key for younger, more talented players to get.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Iafrate played his first game yesterday in the American League with the Lake Erie Monsters. He had mentioned trying out as a forward before he left. Not sure what position he played. He is an OA option on D if he returns.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
This whole paragraph could be in regards to our D corps as well. That group, especially DiPerna and the 4 rookies got an incredible amount of icetime this year and should only get better as well. If Chychrun AND Mascherin were to only play 2 OHL seasons and move on to the show, wouldn't I be correct in expecting more of an impact from the forward than the d-man in their 16 and 17 aged years at this level? Unless, of course, Chychrun is Ekblad all over again.

My above suggestion of bringing in a guy like DeAngelo was only one option. I actually would like to see Hiebert bring in a veteran d-man in the mold of a Gudbranson (Soo) or Bell/Austin (Lon). We need a physical presence on the back end. The type of guy who makes you pay. Preferably a '95 birthdate that could be here as an OA the following season.

I see more upside in the forward group than I do in the D. I know there will be improvement in Hora, Blaisdell and Sergeev. But I dont know about Diperna, there was alot of sloppy play and miscues from someone who play in the league already. And I dont know if I necessarily see a spot for Schmidt depending on who we draft.

I see the D needing more help, in turn to help the goaltending, than I do with the forward group. I also see it easier to make those type of deals for forwards as I dont know what D will be available via trade. I strongly agree we need a physical presence D, but who would that be, who is available.....I dont know of too many names from rebuilding teams next year. Genovese is the only one I can think of, maybe Donnay but they will both be OA's.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Iafrate played his first game yesterday in the American League with the Lake Erie Monsters. He had mentioned trying out as a forward before he left. Not sure what position he played. He is an OA option on D if he returns.

I think it was Sunday he played against Rochester. He played D with 2 PIMs, dont know the ice time or how well he played.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I see more upside in the forward group than I do in the D. I know there will be improvement in Hora, Blaisdell and Sergeev. But I dont know about Diperna, there was alot of sloppy play and miscues from someone who play in the league already. And I dont know if I necessarily see a spot for Schmidt depending on who we draft.

I see the D needing more help, in turn to help the goaltending, than I do with the forward group. I also see it easier to make those type of deals for forwards as I dont know what D will be available via trade. I strongly agree we need a physical presence D, but who would that be, who is available.....I dont know of too many names from rebuilding teams next year. Genovese is the only one I can think of, maybe Donnay but they will both be OA's.

I agree we need a physical presence on D. It's been an issue for a while. I think the Rangers are higher on Schmidt than some think. You are correct on Diperna. He needs to really step up his game. Personally I like those big tough Dmen that punish opposing players and make it tough to stand in front of the goalie. I think Hiebert will have to make some changes though in order to be as competitive as he says next season.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Exactly.

Other than speed and hard work, I'm not sure where you see value in Marcantuoni, but I hope other teams see it. If he has more pedigree (based on... being drafted by the Pens?) then he'll bring a better return in a trade.

Perhaps I'm watching a different Meighan. The one I watch wins a LOT of faceoffs, plays in every situation, and appears to be a good mentor for rookies.

Brad Palmer

Sep 21, 2012
Personally, I hope Chuchryn refuses to report to Sarnia, or Sarnia elects to go with Mascheryn due to the higher impact made by a 16/17 year-old forward than a defenseman.

Players like Chuchryn are rare, and I'd love to see him in a Ranger uniform. There's also a very high chance that he doesn't make the NHL as an 18-year-old defenseman, and plays in Kitchener for at least 3 seasons, of which we will be competitive.

I don't think our current defense is as strong as most are suggesting. We have depth and a lot of skill, but little in the way of steady kids who can be relied upon for big minutes. If Chuchryn pushes Schmidt to the Dutchmen, so be it. I also suspect that Pittsburgh will keep Marcantuoni in the ECHL at the very least, which would leave room for Meighan whether he be a 3rd or 4th line centre. He can provide a lot in a bottom six role, he's just not a top six centre.

I also think the Rangers brass are high on both Kubalik and Sergeev, but I admit I don't understand the Import rules entirely. If they can draft someone with the 4th pick and then trade him, I wouldn't be surprised to see them move that player for Anthony DeAngelo. If they can't do that, keep the 4th pick and draft a goal-scorer, and trade Kubalik and picks for DeAngelo.

If all the above holds true, the roster would resemble something along these lines:

Pederson (A) - MacInnis - Magyar
Llewellyn - Bailey - Kubalik
Robinson - Kohn - Davies
Soper - Meighan (C) - Teskey
Cascagnette - Bzowey

Iafrate (A) - DeAngelo
Hora - Chuchryn
DiPerna - Sergeev
Blaisdell

Goaltending is obviously still a need, but I wouldn't mind seeing an all-out battle in training camp and as the season goes on. The other option is to move out some picks (as was mentioned we have 3 third-rounders and not a lot of room on the roster in the next few years) for a overage goalie that can win some games.

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
If they can't do that, keep the 4th pick and draft a goal-scorer, and trade Kubalik and picks for DeAngelo.

Sarnia is not going to want another import. They have their own import problem right now. They pick first overall but already have two imports coming back next season. They will have to move Goldobin or likely release Kodola.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Personally, I hope Chuchryn refuses to report to Sarnia, or Sarnia elects to go with Mascheryn due to the higher impact made by a 16/17 year-old forward than a defenseman.

Players like Chuchryn are rare, and I'd love to see him in a Ranger uniform. There's also a very high chance that he doesn't make the NHL as an 18-year-old defenseman, and plays in Kitchener for at least 3 seasons, of which we will be competitive.

I don't think our current defense is as strong as most are suggesting. We have depth and a lot of skill, but little in the way of steady kids who can be relied upon for big minutes. If Chuchryn pushes Schmidt to the Dutchmen, so be it. I also suspect that Pittsburgh will keep Marcantuoni in the ECHL at the very least, which would leave room for Meighan whether he be a 3rd or 4th line centre. He can provide a lot in a bottom six role, he's just not a top six centre.

I also think the Rangers brass are high on both Kubalik and Sergeev, but I admit I don't understand the Import rules entirely. If they can draft someone with the 4th pick and then trade him, I wouldn't be surprised to see them move that player for Anthony DeAngelo. If they can't do that, keep the 4th pick and draft a goal-scorer, and trade Kubalik and picks for DeAngelo.

If all the above holds true, the roster would resemble something along these lines:

Pederson (A) - MacInnis - Magyar
Llewellyn - Bailey - Kubalik
Robinson - Kohn - Davies
Soper - Meighan (C) - Teskey
Cascagnette - Bzowey

Iafrate (A) - DeAngelo
Hora - Chuchryn
DiPerna - Sergeev
Blaisdell

Goaltending is obviously still a need, but I wouldn't mind seeing an all-out battle in training camp and as the season goes on. The other option is to move out some picks (as was mentioned we have 3 third-rounders and not a lot of room on the roster in the next few years) for a overage goalie that can win some games.

DeAngelo to the Rangers? Doubt it ever happens. To much baggage with that guy. Talented kid for sure. Under the Import rules we can trade Kubalik but not Sergeev. He would have to be released but I think he stays. They cannot trade the picks either. I would be happy to see Chychrun here if Sarnia does not take him. He is the number one pick for the draft. They don't come along to often. Myself Soper and Tesky have ran the course. No points and both 19.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Meighan would be a decent third or fourth liner here, but you also have to take his feelings into consideration too. As an OA, it'll be his last shot at earning a pro contract. Given the choice between 3rd / 4th line here, or moving to a team where he can play top six minutes and possibly having a season like Eric Ming just had, I'm thinking he'd take option two.

Import rules that will matter to us this off season.
- We can only have two imports on our protected list unless one or both of the incumbents are NHL 1st rounder(s). Therefore, to use the 4th overall pick, only one of these guys can be on our protected list.
- You cannot trade an import in his rookie season. I believe that Sergeev is considered a rookie until the 2014 Import draft has taken place. If he is the odd man out, he has to be waived. Kubalik, on the other hand, can be traded.
- You cannot trade the import pick. If we choose to keep both current import players, then we have to pass on the pick. (and if Hiebert chooses to pass on the 4th overall pick, he should be fired. The player we'd take at #4 would be one of our best players instantly.)
- You cannot pick an import goalie anymore. So we can't go there to solve our goalie problem.

Speaking of goalies, Greenfield and DeKort had all year to sort out who will be #1 one going into next year. Neither has and I think this franchise would be better served having one or both or Lavigne / Opilka report next year.

Last edited:

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
With regards to the import pick, to me the smartest move is trading Kubalik. If we dont look at skill and needs, why waste assests and just release Sergeev? You have 2 roster players, Kubalik you can trade and get a player/picks back for him if there is a deal to be made. Releasing Sergeev you just open a roster spot with getting nothing else in return. Its the smarter move going forward is to maximize your gains.

As well, with trading Kubalik that also means player(s) not playing on the third line next year that could be second line players. As I mentioned in another post, Kubalik could be part of a bigger move to improve our roster if we package something together. Again, if there is interest out there.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Pederson* - MacInnis - Magyar
Llewellyn - Bailey* - Import Pick
Robinson* - Kohn - Davies
Meighan* 1st Rd OHL Pick- Cascagnette or Bracco

Iafrate*- Hora
DiPerna - Sergeev
Blaisdell-OHL Draft Pick
OHL Draft Pick

Lavigne-Greenfield-DeKort

^^ bare bones changes till the trade deadline then I would expect 2 or 3 players of the 5 moved that I noted by *.
The forwards may be out of position but I would move Meighan to wing since I also believe the kids should get experience playing the C position.
One of the two picks I have on D could be swapped with a 19 yr old physical d-man.
I'm OK with just running with 2 OA's

Hiebert can't be to loyal to any player on a team that missed the playoffs!
IMHO there's probably only 3 or 4 players that other teams would need a crowbar to pry them away in a trade.

Last edited:

Brad Palmer

Sep 21, 2012
Meighan would be a decent third or fourth liner here, but you also have to take his feelings into consideration too. As an OA, it'll be his last shot at earning a pro contract. Given the choice between 3rd / 4th line here, or moving to a team where he can play top six minutes and possibly having a season like Eric Ming just had, I'm thinking he'd take option two.

Import rules that will matter to us this off season.
- We can only have two imports on our protected list unless one or both of the incumbents are NHL 1st rounder(s). Therefore, to use the 4th overall pick, only one of these guys can be on our protected list.
- You cannot trade an import in his rookie season. I believe that Sergeev is considered a rookie until the 2014 Import draft has taken place. If he is the odd man out, he has to be waived. Kubalik, on the other hand, can be traded.
- You cannot trade the import pick. If we choose to keep both current import players, then we have to pass on the pick. (and if Hiebert chooses to pass on the 4th overall pick, he should be fired. The player we'd take at #4 would be one of our best players instantly.)
- You cannot pick an import goalie anymore. So we can't go there to solve our goalie problem.

Speaking of goalies, Greenfield and DeKort had all year to sort out who will be #1 one going into next year. Neither has and I think this franchise would be better served having one or both or Lavigne / Opilka report next year.

Thank you for the info on the Import Rules - extremely helpful. So I would assume the plan is to trade Kubalik, and I like the idea of packaging him up with some picks for an impact scorer.

With the goalie battle, I did mean that it would include Lavigne and Opilka, arguably moreso than Greenfield and DeKort.

Meighan always struck me as a player who knows his role, and plays it, at least prior to this season. I know everyone on these boards has a fascination with hating Spott, but I found that he used Meighan very effectively. Keep in mind Meighan battled his way onto the team when we had a lack of depth, and didn't make it on skill or pedigree, so maybe that raises the loyalty factor a little bit. Especially if he gets the "C." But let's assume for now he is out.

Maybe this is a more realistic lineup?

Pederson - MacInnis - Magyar
Llewellyn - Bailey - [Import]
Robinson - Kohn - [Mascherin]
Cascagnette - Davies - Bzowey

Iafrate - Hora
Sergeev- [Kubalik trade]
Blaisdell - DiPerna

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
How next year's roster may look, and how we look going into 2015-16 may have a lot to do with whether or not the Rangers can get the elite level players from the 2013 OHL draft to report. If they do report, then there may only be room on the roster for the import pick and the 2nd overall pick in the OHL draft.

For argument's sake, let's assume these elite players (I'm naming them elite since the Rangers do on their team website so I'm assuming they are), do report for next season and the Rangers pretty much have knowledge of this going into the OHL draft.
C - Jeremy Bracco
RW - Josh Henderson
D - Charles McAvoy
G - Luke Opilka

With these guys in the mix for next year, Hiebert will have options concerning the four picks we hold 2nd and 3rd round in the draft. They could be used to select player(s) who are high end but won't report right away (ie MacInnis/Magyar) or one or more of them could be included in deals to make the team better right now. They could also be dealt for other picks. Dealing pick(s) this year for pick(s) next year for example.

If these guys do report we should be a better team than expected. Hopefully, they would come close to providing the impact that MacInnis and Magyar did for this past year's team. With that in mind, maybe we speed up the rebuild a bit and acquire a veteran or two to further bolster the roster for next year.

Concerning Anthony DeAngelo and his "baggage". I know it isn't he same thing, but we brought Steve Downie in here a few years back and he worked out just fine.

He will be drafted in the NHL draft this summer. Therefore, he'll have a whole new group of people involved with developing his game on ice and between the ears. I'm sure a change of scenery and close monitoring by his NHL team would straighten this guy out, if he actually needs it, if he wants his career to stay on the rails.

How far, if at all, he slips in the draft in relation to where he is ranked will be a good sign as to how he is seen by the hockey world. This was his third OHL season. If he's been that bad, he'd have bounced around the league by now but he hasn't. I don't think this is Akim Aliu we're talking about here.

We can use a high end PP QB next year if the above comes to fruition and we are a better team than we thought, I'd take that talent on my team in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Even I agree Downey was a talented kid as far as hockey went but to say he worked out "just fine" is not correct. He blew more than one fuse and cost the team games because he couldn't stand to lose. Even at practice he shot pucks at team mates when they made bad passes to him. As far as DeAngelo goes I agree he would add value to any team especially a team like the Rangers who haven't had a decent power play for a while but he does have a proceed with caution sign on his back. He would not come cheap to any team and the Rangers are trying to replenish a bare cupboard. To pick him up it would cost at least three or four seconds and at least one prospects. I would hate to see the Rangers get back into the same rut we have been in for the last ten years with no seconds or thirds. Just my opinion.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
See and I think Aliu is a good comparison for off-ice issue for DeAngelo, but I only go by hearsay with no inside knowledge of what all actually has happened. But it is a re-acclaimation project that we should be staying away from with our re-build. Sure the talent is there and he would improve our roster. IMO he is the type of sideshow you want to keep away from our young players. Attitude is everything for a team that is developing and I wouldn't want to take a chance.

As far as value goes, I think Bobber is far off on the value. With everything going on in Sarnia, I would think they would undervalue DeAngelo just to get him off their roster. I would think that you could get him much cheaper than what you are proposing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad