Official "Isles Draft Position" Thread Pt 2 (44-27-5) ...and we helped!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'm confused. Does it really matter? I thought how far you get in playoffs determines draft position from here on out ? Or has that changed?

Only the 4 teams that make the semi finals get seated 27-30. So technically where the Islanders finish they could be bumped down 4 spots(if 4 teams below them make the semifinals). On the flip side Islander make the Semi finals that is a bottom 4 pick

A more realistic expectation assuming Islanders don't make the Semifinals is they will be bumped down 1-2 spots

An unrealistic but possible scenario would be Islanders finish 11th and the Semifinals is Pittsburgh vs Ottawa and Calgary vs Winnipeg. All of a Sudden Islanders pick would go from 20th to 16th as those 4 teams jump over them in the draft order

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
if i understand the tiebreakers correctly, they finish 9th in the league if vancouver loses in any manner or 10th if vancouver wins in any manner

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
NYI lose, what does that mean for the draft pick?

Means Chicago and Washington finish ahead of Islanders. Vancouver has a chance to pass them if they win later tonight too.

Also means Isles have to play on the road in Washington for 1st round.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Looks like it's one of 2 scenarios left for the Isles pick:

Van beats EDM, Isles pick is 21 pre-playoffs.

Van loses to EDM, Isles pick is 22 pre-playoffs.

Best case scenario is then 2 of DET/OTT/PIT make the ECF and then either CGY or WPG make the WCF....which would push the Isles pick down 3 spots.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Isles aren't winning 2 rounds. So at worst we get #22 and possibly a pick in the teens. I'll take it. So our picks if the Isles drop 3 spots will be #1/2,19,31 and 49? 4 top 49 picks? Oh hell yes.

Trade 31 and 49 for #25 and then #19 and #25 for a top 10 pick and take Barzal. If we can walk away with McEichel and Barzal I will bow down to Murray.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Yes!!! Vancouver wins from being down 2 going into the 3rd!! So the Isles pick can potentially be #18?!?!? That would be amazing. 18 + 31 + 48 should damn near get us into the top 10 on its own.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
So as long as the Isles go out in the first round, it's the 18th pick? Or are there other factors? That's a good pick in this draft, and with 31, that could move us up quite a bit.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
So as long as the Isles go out in the first round, it's the 18th pick? Or are there other factors? That's a good pick in this draft, and with 31, that could move us up quite a bit.

Other factors... As of now its #21 ...

Per Zman's post..

Looks like it's one of 2 scenarios left for the Isles pick:

Van beats EDM, Isles pick is 21 pre-playoffs.

Van loses to EDM, Isles pick is 22 pre-playoffs.

Best case scenario is then 2 of DET/OTT/PIT make the ECF and then either CGY or WPG make the WCF....which would push the Isles pick down 3 spots.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Right now, if the Isles go out in the first 2 rounds, the pick is 21st.

HOWEVER, should any teams behind the Isles make the Conference Finals, it'd push the Isles back that many spots.

The BEST the pick can be is 17th.

That would involve either DET or OTT and PIT making the ECF and either WPG or CGY and MIN making the WCF.

Pretty small odd that the pick is 17th. 20th/21st seems likely to me.

BringBuffaloStanley

Nov 16, 2014
My understanding at initial glance is Realistically Isles lose to caps and Ottawa and the the sens upset Tampa and the wild upset St. Louis. This bumps isles pick to 19 overall. Depends what Buffalo wants to do: it's very realistic koneckny, Kyle Connor, or Jeremy Roy are obtainable, taking into account trading up with the isles second

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
My understanding at initial glance is Realistically Isles lose to caps and Ottawa and the the sens upset Tampa and the wild upset St. Louis. This bumps isles pick to 19 overall. Depends what Buffalo wants to do: it's very realistic koneckny, Kyle Connor, or Jeremy Roy are obtainable, taking into account trading up with the isles second

The only bumping that can occur at this point is if a team behind the Isles make either conference final.

The ONLY spots that are playoff-success determined are:

30: Duh
29: Double-Duh
28: Better of the teams to lose the CFs
27: Worse of the teams to lose the CFs
Then the remaining division winners
Then the rest

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Ok is my understanding correct that these Stanley cup placement switches only occur with the first round picks? or are they for all the rounds?

worst nightmare scenario is St. Louis and NY Islanders in the Cup finals.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Isles first round exit means that we will keep the Isles pick and give Winnipeg the STL pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad