OT: Official Golf Thread - One small golf tip lands Matt Kuchar in deep rough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Got a random call from one of my sons yesterday, trying to get together with another of my boys to golf tomorrow. Seemed to be short notice, so we're going to play next weekend. Always nice when the kids want to include you in their plans.

Reactions: Flannelman

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Got a random call from one of my sons yesterday, trying to get together with another of my boys to golf tomorrow. Seemed to be short notice, so we're going to play next weekend. Always nice when the kids want to include you in their plans.

it sure is, when playing with mine I`m both grateful and humbled as his game is what I would call, umm, much stronger than mine. He`s had some ligament issues in his thumb over last two years restricting his play but he carded a solid 84 in only his 2nd game in two years earlier last month. Sits at likely a 2-3 handicap

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

me and my brother always play with my dad. he played all the time when we were kids and taught us how growing up. golfing is our thing we have with him. make a point of trying different courses and play a round every weekend.

finally started to hit a few putts yesterday, went 39-40-79. Unfortunately the 39 had 2 doubles in it

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
me and my brother always play with my dad. he played all the time when we were kids and taught us how growing up. golfing is our thing we have with him. make a point of trying different courses and play a round every weekend.

finally started to hit a few putts yesterday, went 39-40-79. Unfortunately the 39 had 2 doubles in it

39 with two doubles? Umm, yes please

I started out playing with my dad, unfortunately with us, we had a strained relationship especially when it came to sports. Once I started to consistently score lower than him on the course, the less we played which isn`t the way it should be but the way it was with us. I play with my son now and when I watch him blaze one 300yds down the fairway and consistently putting for birdie as I scramble for par/bogey, I`m only too proud.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
this is what the US Open should be like. Non stop torture where you need to play great to shoot par.

the rough is long, the winds are blowing and the players are complaining...all is right

yep, truthfully, the distance these guys hit the ball now and the set up of most courses makes the game, for me, boring to watch. Don`t get me wrong, still amazed at the 300+ yd drives but I don`t like watching majors or any tournament for that matter where the winner is doing so scoring in the high teens under par. Problem for many of them are they are spoiled with easy layouts, creampuff rough for the most part and consistently receptive greens with little to no punishment for a missed shot

Hoping to get a round in this weekend, had to take a few weeks off, pinched a nerve in lower back, Dr`s orders to stay away from the sticks for a few weeks

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Will scar his career

I may be in the minority here, always liked Phil the golfer, like guys who take some risks out there but this was/is just stupid. This is the stuff I see when playing with the boys in a fun round locally.

These players whining because they are playing a course that actually forces them to play smart and where distance isn`t the only measure to success drives me nuts

Typically every week they play on cozy courses with few difficult one`s in there where they can haul their drivers out on virtually every hole and pound away, if they are a touch wild off the tee, rarely are they penalized for it. Now they are, shut up and take your medicine

There`s a course down here recognized as being one of the toughest out there, limited landing areas, greens you just can`t make a mistake around however, if you play what the course gives you, you can put up a reasonable number.

Took me a dozen rounds to start playing "smart" golf, sacrificing distance for fairways and greens hit. A few years ago I vowed I wouldn`t play it again then realized it had nothing to do with the course (it never does) it has to do with my ego, taking a driver out on a 343 yd hole just isn`t necessary, especially with hazards and traps everywhere so I now play the course using my driver on about 3 holes, using my 3 wood or 1 iron as the club to play and I`ve scored reasonably well

It`s not a course I envision breaking 80 on but I`ve come close

Home - The Links at Brunello

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
my son and I were paired up with Denis Chasse, ex St. Louis Blues and Caps player. Not sure I can honestly remember him at all. Playing alongside him you`d never know he liked to chuck the knuckles, great guy and his playing partner named Cal went to Prep school with Don Sweeney in New Hampshire, they grew up together in New Brunswick, said he speaks to him about once a month. The two guys were an absolute blast to play with, Chasse shared a few stories which I cannot tell here

My son with a ho hum 77. I started with a 39 on the front, took a few chances on the back for kicks but they didn`t work out, finished 83 for the day but a blast. Only repeating what was said to me but Cal said he spoke with DS recently, said his old buddy is on the "hunt" this summer, didn`t expand on his thoughts...……..I pestered him all day for more info but he said he`s been given the gag order

Happy Father`s Day friends

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
my son and I were paired up with Denis Chasse, ex St. Louis Blues and Caps player. Not sure I can honestly remember him at all. Playing alongside him you`d never know he liked to chuck the knuckles, great guy and his playing partner named Cal went to Prep school with Don Sweeney in New Hampshire, they grew up together in New Brunswick, said he speaks to him about once a month. The two guys were an absolute blast to play with, Chasse shared a few stories which I cannot tell here

My son with a ho hum 77. I started with a 39 on the front, took a few chances on the back for kicks but they didn`t work out, finished 83 for the day but a blast. Only repeating what was said to me but Cal said he spoke with DS recently, said his old buddy is on the "hunt" this summer, didn`t expand on his thoughts...……..I pestered him all day for more info but he said he`s been given the gag order

Happy Father`s Day friends

nice, always fun to get paired up like that.

Got in 2 rounds this weekend. Friday played Crystal Lake with my bosses and couldn't miss. Its one of my favorite courses, but was locked in from the fairway, went 38-38-76. Then played sunday with my dad and brother, and couldn't hit a putt to save my life, 40-42-82.

unrelated, not sure how many people get up to northern maine along the border, but there is an awesome course up there called Aroostok Valley Country Club.

The course is literally in 2 countries. The border runs through the parking lot, so the pro shop is in the US, but the clubhouse is in Canada. The course sits both in Fort Fairfield, ME and Aroostok, New Brunswick. Besides the fun of playing 2 countries at once, its a really fun and challenging course. Lots of elevation change and some tight shots through the woods.

Definitely worth it if you find yourself in the area.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
44-43 87 today. Could have been a couple of strokes better but I left a couple of putts short on the front, and then completely ran out of gas and lost my rhythm around 13. I've been up around 91-92 lately so I'll take an 87.

The goal for this summer is to get back down around 82 or 83 but it's going to take a really special round as I've stopped carrying my driver or 3 wood for the time being

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
nice, always fun to get paired up like that.

Got in 2 rounds this weekend. Friday played Crystal Lake with my bosses and couldn't miss. Its one of my favorite courses, but was locked in from the fairway, went 38-38-76. Then played sunday with my dad and brother, and couldn't hit a putt to save my life, 40-42-82.

unrelated, not sure how many people get up to northern maine along the border, but there is an awesome course up there called Aroostok Valley Country Club.

The course is literally in 2 countries. The border runs through the parking lot, so the pro shop is in the US, but the clubhouse is in Canada. The course sits both in Fort Fairfield, ME and Aroostok, New Brunswick. Besides the fun of playing 2 countries at once, its a really fun and challenging course. Lots of elevation change and some tight shots through the woods.

Definitely worth it if you find yourself in the area.

some good solid golfing there. That course sounds fun, question is, what currency would I go with? :laugh:

The round with Chasse and his friend was a blast, both super nice, they were playing a skins game and the trash talk was hilarious

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
Going through a major mental block on the course right now.

On the range I am flushing the ball with my irons , when I get to the 1st tee all the tempo is gone and I'm just trying to rip the cover off the ball. Topping the ball , fat shots and everything in between.
Extremely frustrated at the moment. Going to the course seems more like a chore than a hobby.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

On the range I am flushing the ball with my irons , when I get to the 1st tee all the tempo is gone and I'm just trying to rip the cover off the ball. Topping the ball , fat shots and everything in between.
Extremely frustrated at the moment. Going to the course seems more like a chore than a hobby.

hate when that happens.

sounds like you swing free and easy at the range because you have no target. Youre not aiming for a pin or trying for distance.

trick is bringing that to the course. usually when i get that tunnel vision I make myself think 'just hit the fairway' (off the tee) and on shot into the green ignore the pin and shoot for center of the green.

usually does the trick for getting rid of the over swinging.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

When I had this issue I would try to take my club back as slow as possible. Tempo can get ramped up on the course.

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
hate when that happens.

sounds like you swing free and easy at the range because you have no target. Youre not aiming for a pin or trying for distance.

trick is bringing that to the course. usually when i get that tunnel vision I make myself think 'just hit the fairway' (off the tee) and on shot into the green ignore the pin and shoot for center of the green.

usually does the trick for getting rid of the over swinging.

When I'm on the range I have this little drill that I do to focus on targets.

Aim at a target to the left hit 3 balls , aim at a middle target hit 3 balls and same with a right target. So I'm always focusing on a target , I also try to hit draws at all 3 targets the first time through and then repeat the process trying to hit fades. I flush it pretty consistently. In part because I think there is no pressure involved , it's just me goofing around.

I get on the course and the strokes count or when I'm in my league and my partner and I are trying to win as many points as possible I have a few holes where I fall apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca