GDT: Official Flames Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Monahan

#YoungMoney
Apr 8, 2014
Vancouver
Who do you think the flames go after July 1st?
I think Kulemin should be one of their main targets.
We obviously need a backup goalie, so Thomas Greiss or Hiller?
And Treliving stated he wanted help on the backend, so who do we go after?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think Treliving will use his Arizona/Phoenix Coyotes ties to the organization in attempt to snag at least one of Vrbata or Greiss.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
RWer, RHD, backup goalie

Vrbata, Kulemin, Downie, Gionta, Setoguchi

Gilbert, Gleason, Niskanen, Fayne, Stralman

Lindback, Greiss, Johnson, Peters, Dubnyk

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well, assuming everyone's qualified and Cammy leaves, our depth chart should look something like this:

Left Wing | Centre | Right Wing
Glencross | Backlund | Hudler
Colborne | Monahan | Jones
Bouma | Stajan | Byron
Bollig | Reinhart | McGrattan

Other options to win a spot on forward include Baertschi, Gaudreau, Arnold, Granlund, Knight, Hanowski, Wolf, van Brabant, and probably others I'm forgetting like Agostino.

Left Defence | Right Defence
Giordano | Brodie
Smid | Russell
Wotherspoon | Wideman

Other options on defence include Breen if he can rebound, Cundari, and anyone else I'm forgetting.

Goalie
Ramo
Ortio

So, it's clear that we need a goalie to push Ortio down to starting in the AHL. I feel like we need to add a defenceman, because I don't think we're ready to hand Wotherspoon a spot yet despite great things he showed last year, and a good d-man signing could realistically push everyone down the depth chart without us having to put NHL guys in the press box.

Honestly, I don't mind if we don't do anything on forward. Maybe sign a fourth line centre, but other than that I think we have a plethora of second and third-line forwards. Unless we're getting a first-line player out of FA (which seems unlikely), I hope we stand pat and allow the competition for spots to fuel success among the many options we already have.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Some players I'm interested in:

Nikolai Kulemin
Matt Niskanen
Radim Vrbata
Jonas Hiller
Zach Redmond
Mark Fayne
Brian Boyle

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well how about this situation? Montreal has a trade with Toronto for Gorges, but he refuses to waive his NTC. They apparently might resort to waiving him. You have to think we'd put in a claim.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Well how about this situation? Montreal has a trade with Toronto for Gorges, but he refuses to waive his NTC. They apparently might resort to waiving him. You have to think we'd put in a claim.

I'd be pretty shocked if they did that but the Flames would be smart to put in a claim.

I think Flames will also target one of Griess or Hiller.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Well we aren't getting Kulemin. I heard he is potentially going to go to Pittsburgh to play with his KHL teammate during the lockout, Evgeni Malkin.

BacklundtoBartschi*

If we picked up Kulemin, Niskanen and Greiss that would be a successful FA.

Don't Grabovski and Kulemin want to sign as a package deal though?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs 15m
#Habs Gorges has expanded his 15-team list of teams to which he'd go. A couple in Canada have been added; he's not specifying which teams
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Maybe Calgary?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd be cool with Gorges, and we have that French connection.

Honestly, I'd just do the deal I purposed in the FA thread: Wideman (some salary retained), Byron for Franson, and Reimer.

Baertschi - Backlund - Hudler
Gaudreau - Monahan - Colborne
Glencross - Stajan - Jones
Bouma - Arnold/Knight - Bollig

Gio - Brodie
Smid - Franson
Russell - Wotherspoon/FA

Ramo
Reimer

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I actually really want to sign Redmond. The Jets have too many RHD (yes, I just said that), and they are passing up a 25 year old UFA who looks like he has finally found his game in the NHL. I think he'd be a good fit with Smid while Wotherspoon gets another year in the AHL.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I actually really want to sign Redmond. The Jets have too many RHD (yes, I just said that), and they are passing up a 25 year old UFA who looks like he has finally found his game in the NHL. I think he'd be a good fit with Smid while Wotherspoon gets another year in the AHL.

Wouldn't mind Redmond. Looks like he still has some untapped potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad