Speculation: Official Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread: 2018-20 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I know offense will drop but I think they need to focus on retooling from the back-out. Our goaltending situation is in place for a while with bob, driedger as the backup most likely, and knight developing.

defense needs an overhaul and zito probably recognizes that. We have Ekblad and Weegar, Stralman only has 2 more years tops, Yandle is likely out either this offseason or next assuming he doesn’t shit down every trade option. Adding a guy like pietrangelo would be a tremendous add, brings a captain and a leader in, one of the best D in the game, yeah he’ll be 31 but hopefully he AFEs well like sutter has for instance. He can log big minutes, gives us two solid lines. Obviously, this is only viable if they have something lined up for Yandle. We’ll see what happens but it would help a lot to get someone like him, especially if it’s under 10per.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
I prefer Pietrangelo to Krug of course, but I think people who are saying Krug=Yandle are off... Krug is younger and actually has a physical edge to his game which, like Hornqvist is something we need to add to our team.

Reactions: pantherbot

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Krug is Keith Yandle in 2016 without the maturity of a 12 year old. A good player but not what Florida needs. Florida needs 2-way guys, Krug isn't that. AP is better but I don't know if I want to shell out that dough. I don't really know what the plan is, I'm lost :laugh:

I don't really want Hoffman or Dadonov back as their contracts will suck and Florida hasn't been able to win/look good with them But if you let them walk, Florida will most assuredly suck next year. Additionally, why spend of defense if you're letting your top wings go. The Matheson trade was so good but Hornqvist is considerably worse than either of those guys. Also the C market is weak and if you don't want to suck you'll need improvement there.

But Yandle wouldn't be as much of a problem right now if he had a different attitude. On paper, he's an aging offensive dman that's still producing on the power play and basically what you expect signing someone at his age. He would still be useful if he wasn't toilet paper soft and a bad influence on this team.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I want Yandle gone but I'm not too hot on Torey Krug. He's a liability in his zone as well. He's better than Yandle and does hit more, but not by a ton.

He's not really what we need. I get they'd want to replace Yandle's contribution but if bringing in Krug to do so is the alternative I'm not sure what the logic is behind it.

If you can snag Goligoski from Arizona and get them to handle some salary for his last year I'd much rather go that route and use the rest of Yandle's money + more for a more defensive minded defensemen.

Goligoski could do really well with our PP imo. He's also significantly better defensively (not saying much) than Yandle and actually throws hits.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Reactions: GermanPanther

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I want to sign up for GR's new site, but my Athletic subscription had just re-upped for a full year before he was laid off. Hoping he can stick with is new site so I can support him in the near future.
I understand the economics here :)

I just cannot in good conscience share too much stuff here because well the model isn't perfect... Maybe there's a bunch of corporate subscriptions (which actually is feasible in the NHL), but at 30 a year...he would need to sell something b/w 1k to 2k subscriptions to do okay :)

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I think signing any big name free agents, UFA or RFA is a terrible move for this franchise right now.

Bringing in more guys on big contracts to "fix the problem" is exactly why we are in this position to begin with. Funny how short some of your memories are.

Do I think the team would be better with Sergachev or Pietrangelo added? Sure. Does it solve the bigger problem that's plagued this franchise and led to them not winning a playoff series for two straight decades? Likely not.

Retool as you must, but I don't see Zito running and jumping to make a splash into free agency like Tallon did last year. Unless he is making direct replacements (ala Krug signs and Yandle is traded for Stepan). That's a move that makes a bit more sense to me, fixes some of the culture and make us better on paper, but do they really need Torey Krug?

It's time we started building players of our own. Develop a core, a culture that breeds success and winning. As others have pointed out here before, that culture can't come from the outside. We've seen time and time again that the band-aid fixes may work in the short term, but long term they do nothing. The culture change HAS TO come from within. If they want to succeed, they have to succeed themselves.

But signing RFA's and giving away crucial draft picks, relying on 30+ year old free agent defensemen to try and win a single playoff series? Pointless. We may as well skip the next decade because we won't be winning one in the 20's either.
I agree with you 100%. And they have to change the culture with this core group. I just don't know how they are going to do it.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Obviously never hate a move that makes the team better but there are so many more urgently pressing matter than upgrading Yandle to Krug lol.

Also I wonder if Florida goes after Tyler Johnson or Gourde from Tampa for C depth, they'll be giving them away (contracts aren't great though)

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

Interest in Krug is legit I guess?

It doesn't make sense even if they manage to eject Yandle somehow. Krug is just another liability who isn't used to play against top lines, can't defend (albeit still better than Yandle) and, more importantly, is gonna get paid a ton for what he's actually worth.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Obviously never hate a move that makes the team better but there are so many more urgently pressing matter than upgrading Yandle to Krug lol.

Also I wonder if Florida goes after Tyler Johnson or Gourde from Tampa for C depth, they'll be giving them away (contracts aren't great though)
I think Gourde+Killorn makes a lot of sense to be honest if Hoffman and Dady are too expensive.

We have Vatrano+Stralman's money coming off the book for BArky and then Killorn+Yandle's for Huby if they re-sign...

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
It doesn't make sense even if they manage to eject Yandle somehow. Krug is just another liability who isn't used to play against top lines, can't defend (albeit still better than Yandle) and, more importantly, is gonna get paid a ton for what he's actually worth.
I don't get it, but I trust Zito: there's got to be something in the background that makes it worth it for Yandle. Maybe some team wants to trade a similarly aging 2C for Yandle and we want to replace Yandle with Krug?

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
That would be funny, but not that what we searching, in my Opinion. I would also go after a Defensive minded Defensman.

But be clear where does this Train should go?
Current Situation Fan wise, Yandle should be go and be more solid in the own Zone and start winning.
But as i mention, in lock down if you trade away yandle, loose both Winger in the FA Time you loose 59 Goals and over 120 Points earned.
What brings the Team or the GM to a Situation where you have to hold on of the 3 at least.

In my Mind best Option ever but pretty unrealistic, keep Hoffman trade away Yandle, bring in a solid stay at Home. And hope your new System is working.

And then how you handle the Situation next Year, with the expansion Draft. What does the 2 forwards want if they re-sign. A full NTC or NMC till the last Year or two? What does this mean?
Barkov, Hubderdeau, Hörnqvist and Bob must be protected a additional forward with a NTC or NMC would mean we would go the 5 or 7-2-1 combo, or make it like the Teams on last expansion Draft here take my 1st + mid prospect and pass on my players.
All this have to be thought about, where Panthers searching for the right Addition.

Btw is McKenzie n0w official the new Assistant-Coach for the D or did someone else joining the Team?
Yep. That's my dream scenario too.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I don't get it, but I trust Zito: there's got to be something in the background that makes it worth it for Yandle. Maybe some team wants to trade a similarly aging 2C for Yandle and we want to replace Yandle with Krug?

Flipping Yandle for a some aging "2C" is just a hoping for the best-type of gamble with "a needed change of scenery"-storyline. Maybe, just maybe, these guys are just incorrectly valued (Barrie, Krug, Yandle, etc) and these bandaids who need another opportunity or better organization/team around them are just on their way out of the league.

I, for one, don't understand the entire premise of when a top line player, like Stepan, needs a change of scenery because the Yotes suck then why'd he any better here. He doesn't get the support from the defensive side because he has to have the wheels to support the dmen a lot and he doesn't get point production done in the o-zone either. However, I do get the idea behind the reasoning why Stepan would do well here: because he happens to be one of the cheapest acquisitions via trade so he must do well here, there's no other choice, and why can't rely on the prospects because they haven't lit up the AHL so how come they'd be any better in the NHL, similar to other busts like Adam Gaudette or Troy Terry.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Flipping Yandle for a some aging "2C" is just a hoping for the best-type of gamble with "a needed change of scenery"-storyline. Maybe, just maybe, these guys are just incorrectly valued (Barrie, Krug, Yandle, etc) and these bandaids who need another opportunity or better organization/team around them are just on their way out of the league.

I, for one, don't understand the entire premise of when a top line player, like Stepan, needs a change of scenery because the Yotes suck then why'd he any better here. He doesn't get the support from the defensive side because he has to have the wheels to support the dmen a lot and he doesn't get point production done in the o-zone either. However, I do get the idea behind the reasoning why Stepan would do well here: because he happens to be one of the cheapest acquisitions via trade so he must do well here and why can't rely on the prospects because they haven't lit up the AHL so how come they'd be any better in the NH, similar to other busts like Adam Gaudette or Troy Terry.
Sure, it's usage and value-added. Some players are put in positions where they get stuck or where they're asked to do something that doesn't work for them. Part of our problem with Yandle is that we have 3 other defensemen that will be paid more than him and Ekblad could takeover on #1PP. I could see a team struggling from offense on the back-end being interested in him.

With centers for example, some players need to score a scoring line or to be surrounded by better players then then: think buying low on Marchy a couple seasons ago. It could also be a numbers game: some teams have 4 guys that are best suited for the #1-2C. I somewhat wonder what Nashville will do for example.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
You could keep Dadonov, sign a defensive dman and bring in a 2C (Borgstrom isn't that if you're competing) and essentially just try to "run it back" but I don't know if enough rot has been removed. I wouldn't mind that roster but I also liked this years and they just weren't good.

Also if Krug is brought in, Yandle has to be moved, and is willing to waive the NMC I'm guessing? Unless they'e keeping both in which case RIP Bobrovsky.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
You could keep Dadonov, sign a defensive dman and bring in a 2C (Borgstrom isn't that if you're competing) and essentially just try to "run it back" but I don't know if enough rot has been removed. I wouldn't mind that roster but I also liked this years and they just weren't good.

Also if Krug is brought in, Yandle has to be moved, and is willing to waive the NMC I'm guessing? Unless they'e keeping both in which case RIP Bobrovsky.
Ah. It depends on how you reason. I assume that Zito is smart, so that he has something lined up for Yandle if he gets Krug. :)

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
You don't have to move Yandle. Krug replaces Math and Hornqvist replaces one of Dads/Hoff.
Yes you do with time usage and optimal allocation: It doesn't make sense to sign an identical player to Yandle unless the player QBs the number one powerplay. Having 4 D paid over 5.5M and 5 over 4M (after Weegar) is a problem.

Unless we're trading Weegar, which doesn't follow to me.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Yes you do with time usage and optimal allocation: It doesn't make sense to sign an identical player to Yandle unless the player QBs the number one powerplay. Having 4 D paid over 5.5M and 5 over 4M (after Weegar) is a problem.

Unless we're trading Weegar, which doesn't follow to me.

Yandle has been playing bottom pairing with Q already. Nothing would change.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Also I'm curious - "in the running for Krug's rights"? What does that even mean; how much do you really give up for a guy's rights? Cost us a 6th-turned-4th rounder for Yandle IIRC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad