Speculation: Official Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread: 2018-20 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Zach Kassian available from Edmonton. Don't know if he's any good in his role but if he is we could use some toughness on this pancy squad

Reactions: Rahooji

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thanks for the responses guys. I wasn't sure what your needs were or under what scenarios you think your FO would even be open to moving tro.

So I was just trying to throw out some different frameworks that I think compare favorably to what we've seen #1C's moved for this decade, to hear what you guys see your needs as, what direction you think your team could want to go, what sort of scenarios you think it would take for the FO to actually entertain moving him and how those scenarios would affect your needs/direction...thus the different directions between the package with the OTT 1st + Timmins and the one with Barrie & our pick.

Although I probably should've jiggled the more win-now (Barrie-based) proposal around to include Varly given what I've read you guys say about your goalie situation and what it would take for a potential "save your season" trade to actually have the potential to save your season.

So this leads me to ask about Borgstrom and how far away you think he is from being ready to make Trocheck moveable? Which I totally get being something you'd want to wait for before moving Tro becomes a serious consideration.

...as it's the same reason why I think Sakic won't actually think about moving Barrie until the summer; after Makar had gotten his feet wet and made our blueline, that we've just turned into a strength, be able to survive the loss of Tyson without turning back into a liability...plus at that point Tyson will be able to immediately sign an extension with his new team so that there's no concern about the term left on his deal.

On paper I actually don't have a problem with trading tro as we have borg coming up who could eventually be our 2nd line center. I also am not a huge fan of his inability to really use his wingers and he has gotten away a bit from his defensive game.

Problem is that tro is one of our heart and soul guys that I think is integral to the identity of this current core. We simply don't have someone who has the same enthusiasm and attitude that he has. So unless something goes really horrible wrong or it's a ridiculous offer, I just don't see it happening.
Well the problem is, even if they are out of it, I don't see why they would trade Trocheck. Especially for a hockey trade. I just don't know why they would do that. Maybe for futures, but that's not much more likely.
trocheck holds a lot of value not only from his production but his contract too, these next 4yrs (including this year) for only 4.75per. i dont think we need all of barkov, trocheck, borgstrom, i think one should be traded to address other areas of need (obviously not barkov). it would ultimately depend on what could be had for trocheck, same goes for borgstrom.
Highly doubtful we trade Trocheck until Borgstrom is ready for 2C minutes/competition let alone 3C duties.

I'd ask for Makar though.
The OTT 1st has value but it doesnt help us now which we need. Makar is probably a year away from NHL minutes if he can put on some muscle.

Trocheck has one of the best contracts in the league and he looks to be putting up another 70+ pt season.

As said above, he has a hard time finding wingers to gel with but that doesnt hurt his production one bit.
Also, he's probably our best RH shot on the team.

I just dont see him moving anytime soon but I also dont see him here when he becomes a UFA unless we win a cup.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
So this leads me to ask about Borgstrom and how far away you think he is from being ready to make Trocheck moveable? Which I totally get being something you'd want to wait for before moving Tro becomes a serious consideration.
I think he's at least 2 or 3 years away from being a viable candidate for 2C. He may get 30 games or so this year at 3C by default due to McCann's regression but I don't see him being a factor.

He has average speed and his upper body strength is that of a 17 year old. Dylan Strome tore it up in the AHL last year and was brought up and did nothing. This year he is still doing nothing which equates to the fact he hasn't adjusted to the speed/skill/strength of the NHL. Borg will have the same problems taking it to the next level until he takes his offseason workouts seriously. :)

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
Problem is that tro is one of our heart and soul guys that I think is integral to the identity of this current core. We simply don't have someone who has the same enthusiasm and attitude that he has. So unless something goes really horrible wrong or it's a ridiculous offer, I just don't see it happening.
Trading Trocheck - for what realistically we can get for him - I can regard as something like theachery by our management for this reasons. Instead, I easily can see him converted to winger.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Trading Trocheck - for what realistically we can get for him - I can regard as something like theachery by our management for this reasons. Instead, I easily can see him converted to winger.
correct. finally someone understands hes not a center. i mean how bad does he have to be at it for the coach to realize it? i think huby should be given a chance at 2c. i just want to see what hed do with it. he seems uncomfortable on the LW and tro is Pejorative Slured at C. just switch them for the f*** of it at this point.

Reactions: pantherbot

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
correct. finally someone understands hes not a center. i mean how bad does he have to be at it for the coach to realize it? i think huby should be given a chance at 2c. i just want to see what hed do with it. he seems uncomfortable on the LW and tro is ******ed at C. just switch them for the **** of it at this point.
Not a center? He's been top 10 in the league (top 5 in east) in face off wins for the last 2 years...I hope you're the only one that "understands he's not a center". Guarantee @ScottyMascotty says you've went too far this time and don't bring him down with you.

"Don't bogart that joint, my friend, pass it over to me"

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
general discussion, curious to see different opinions:

with trades over the past couple years such as weber for subban and hanifin for hamilton, is there a comparable 1 for 1 trade for say ekblad for example? with age being the most important factor to keep similar? not like i expect him to be traded, just general random discussion for fun. i honestly cant think of one too well (as in realistic), i could more likely see him for a forward and then trade a forward like borgstrom for a D.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

with trades over the past couple years such as weber for subban and hanifin for hamilton, is there a comparable 1 for 1 trade for say ekblad for example? with age being the most important factor to keep similar? not like i expect him to be traded, just general random discussion for fun. i honestly cant think of one too well (as in realistic), i could more likely see him for a forward and then trade a forward like borgstrom for a D.
Borgstrom should not be traded. He’s dominating the AHL right now. Every other prospect should be on the table minus Hepo too who is dominating as well.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
The numbers are great. It’s a fantastic start. I won’t argue that. But he is not dominating the play
He’s not the best forward on that team? He controls the pace when he’s on the ice. I see he does have over half his points on the PP though, but regardless his production is extremely encouraging.

Last edited:

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
He’s not the best forward on that team? He controls the pace when he’s on the ice. I see he does have over half his points on the PP though, but regardless his production is extremely encouraging.
I agree it’s encouraging. That’s what he’s there for to produce. But he’s invisible 5 on5 too much still. He’s
The most skilled forward in that team
By a pretty good margin but he’s not the best player in that team yet. I think him being there the whole year would be great. He needs to strengthen up more and play with more pace. Honestly he reminds me of rantanen. Not in his play style but physically how he needs to develope.

Reactions: I am not exposed

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I agree it’s encouraging. That’s what he’s there for to produce. But he’s invisible 5 on5 too much still. He’s
The most skilled forward in that team
By a pretty good margin but he’s not the best player in that team yet. I think him being there the whole year would be great. He needs to strengthen up more and play with more pace. Honestly he reminds me of rantanen. Not in his play style but physically how he needs to develope.
I agree I would let him stay there the whole year maybe sprinkle in a couple of games with the big team and let him on the team next year. He still needs a good 20 lbs in my opinion. Becuase if he can protect the puck with his size and puck skills, we are going to have a very dangerous player. He reminds me a little bit of turris in regards to body type. But he has way more puck skills and reach.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
You trade tro. You lose a fan.
X 1,000. he won't be traded anytime soon, if only because ownership are counting replica jersey #s in the stands. He's the only one with any real freaking fire. You don't trade a trocheck unless for an incredibly astronomical return.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Not a center? He's been top 10 in the league (top 5 in east) in face off wins for the last 2 years...I hope you're the only one that "understands he's not a center". Guarantee @ScottyMascotty says you've went too far this time and don't bring him down with you.

"Don't bogart that joint, my friend, pass it over to me"
faceoffs are the only part of being a center that hes good at. hes bad in the d-zone in terms of knowing where to be to stop goals from happening. hes only considered good defensively because he can break out of the zone nicely and gets some steals. but most of the time hes a liability, hence the big minus next to his name on stat sheets despite his nice scoring numbers the last 2 years. hes also completely unable to use wingers which causes turnovers constantly. kind of a big deal for a center. as a right wing or less ideally left wing, he could just be the speedy scorer that he is. and the way people get thrown out every other faceoff, hed still get plenty of those. trochek just isnt a center in the way that things that are not things, arent those things.

Last edited:

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut

Nylander

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
consider this is probably lu's final year, we put him on LTIR and we somehow get rid of riemer. bring up mont if there are two injuries.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
faceoffs are the only part of being a center that hes good at. hes bad in the d-zone in terms of knowing where to be to stop goals from happening. hes only considered good defensively because he can break out of the zone nicely and gets some steals. but most of the time hes a liability, hence the big minus next to his name on stat sheets despite his nice scoring numbers the last 2 years. hes also completely unable to use wingers which causes turnovers constantly. kind of a big deal for a center. as a right wing or less ideally left wing, he could just be the speedy scorer that he is. and the way people get thrown out every other faceoff, hed still get plenty of those. trochek just isnt a center in the way that things that are not things, arent those things.

There are very few stats that I won't argue against as 100% tangible, face off wins are one of them. Whatever the reasons for his deficiencies, some of which we may not see 100% eye to eye on, they are not nearly enough to outweigh his spot on the dot.

When anyone is top 10 in anything in this game, you use him for it. Anything else can be worked out, especially when chemistry with his current linemates is obviously not a thing as we've seen. Different types of role players than straight offense guys can round that stuff you mention out, no? Is the most talented guy always the right guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad