Elks: Official Eskimos thread meet Devon Bailey Eskimo Latest draft pick

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I can see where the "may be" could be taken out of context in the spliced quote but I was never questioning the fact that the NFL is, for lack of a better term, the most prestigious league for a pro football player to play in. I know that. I used the "may be" in the context that I was drawing a comparison between what its relationship is to the NFL and what the AHL's relationship is in comparison to the NHL. That make any sense? No, didn't think so :)

On your point about the CFL players having no other option or hope of making it in the NFL, also have to take into account that when comparing the relationship between the CFL/NFL and AHL/NHL; the AHL is developing, in most cases, highly rated prospects that are eventually expected to produce at the NHL level. The NFL drafts from the NCAA... if we're comparing the talent level across sports I don't think there's any question that the talent level of college football athletes dwarves that of junior and college hockey. In terms of scope, in terms of depth of talent, in terms of pro readiness etc. - In the NHL only a handful of 1st rounders are ready to make the jump to the NHL; the NFL, the talent in the third and fourth rounds is equal to that of what you find in the NHL's first round so for those CFL players with "failed dreams", it's always gonna be a hell of a lot tougher for them to crack it in the NFL than it is for any prospect that is being molded along expected to eventually have an impact in the pros. Not to mention the disadvantage of playing a game that institutes a wider and longer field as well as an extra player and utilizes different body/athletic types for similar positions which hurts them, be it as it may, when they do have the opportunity to try and transition to the NFL game during workouts if they're lucky enough to be extended a tryout by an NFL club.

That doesn't mean that CFL players are any less talented necessarily; it simply means that there is no parallel to be drawn between a league like the CFL (which isn't a developmental league) and the AHL (which is). For the majority of most CFL players they know that the CFL is as high up on the pro football rung as they're going to make it; AHL players have the potential to eventually earn millions. There is no reason why CFL professionals should have to work a job outside of football just to make ends meet.

Agree with this, thanks for clarifying.

Not really necessary either for a CFL player, that works a 4 month regular season, shouldn't be able to live off the avails of CFL play. Average is higher all the time as we're learning (real average of actual starters that play a year) and with base salary, preseason pay, postseason pay, per diems, most starting, even average players are looking at well in excess of 100K already in payment and benefits and that's not even considering the pay for players that go deep into the playoffs or are on clubs that get to the Grey Cup. A good season for a pretty average vet player can look like 120K. This again for an average player on a good club.

Really I know this is Alberta and people in the Oil patch used to making 100K a year but theres few places in the world where a lot of people make that kind of coin. Anybody that can't make it on 100K needs to go back to remedial budgeting school. CFL may not offer a lot of bling, but its a pretty solid living. Players LTI, LTD benefits have improved quite a lot as well. Even a player with significant injury is taken care of.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Whatever. It's the CFL which means nobody's going to get rich. And oh yeah, the regular season will not be affected.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Haha, my Numbers were a little low apparently...

Link.

No, that "$90,000" figure is misleading. All it means is that they work at the equivalent of a $90,000 per year job, but only have 6 months of the year where that work is actually available.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
No, that "$90,000" figure is misleading. All it means is that they work at the equivalent of a $90,000 per year job, but only have 6 months of the year where that work is actually available.

not nearly as bad as the early 90's though. I remember working in the same hotel as Sean Fleming in his younger days. he had to bartend to make ends meet because the salaries were so low.
If you ever went to ezzies or the locker room in the Old Edmonton Inn, you'd have been served a beer by the guy you paid to watch on the field.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
CFLPA is such a gong show.

This thing might not even get ratified.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
CFLPA is such a gong show.

This thing might not even get ratified.

the players have no common sense.

"You hire a bunch of clowns and you are probably going to get a circus," tweeted Calgary Stampeders defensive back Jeff Hecht.

"How it works in the 21st century: Unions are dead," Calgary running back Jon Cornish, the CFL's outstanding player last year, said on his official Twitter account.

if they players don't accept a deal their union approves of, what little sympathy I have for them will be gone Ship them all back to where they came from and let them go back to pumping gas and stocking shelves.

Peter Dyakowski seems to be the only guy with any common sense right now.
one of his comments:
"Ultimately, what we feel we have is the best deal we can achieve without doing significant damage on both sides. No one wants a work stoppage."

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
the players have no common sense.

"You hire a bunch of clowns and you are probably going to get a circus," tweeted Calgary Stampeders defensive back Jeff Hecht.

"How it works in the 21st century: Unions are dead," Calgary running back Jon Cornish, the CFL's outstanding player last year, said on his official Twitter account.

if they players don't accept a deal their union approves of, what little sympathy I have for them will be gone Ship them all back to where they came from and let them go back to pumping gas and stocking shelves.

Peter Dyakowski seems to be the only guy with any common sense right now.
one of his comments:
"Ultimately, what we feel we have is the best deal we can achieve without doing significant damage on both sides. No one wants a work stoppage."

Problem is that the union leadership overpromised and underdelivered. If the players made a mistake it's hiring questionable individuals to lead the union, including the lawyers, who apparently didn't know about the strike laws in Alberta.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Problem is that the union leadership overpromised and underdelivered. If the players made a mistake it's hiring questionable individuals to lead the union, including the lawyers, who apparently didn't know about the strike laws in Alberta.

read some quotes from players who want to use their "leverage" and strike.
they said the only way to win is to show owners the pain of not being able to sell tickets and concessions.

I have a feeling it will hurt the players a heck of a lot more not to get paid.

A CFL player missing a few cheques? how are they going to pay the bills? the only people going to be hurt are the high school kids who have to compete with these players for jobs at the mall.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
read some quotes from players who want to use their "leverage" and strike.
they said the only way to win is to show owners the pain of not being able to sell tickets and concessions.

I have a feeling it will hurt the players a heck of a lot more not to get paid.

A CFL player missing a few cheques? how are they going to pay the bills? the only people going to be hurt are the high school kids who have to compete with these players for jobs at the mall.

First, really? Come on, you're better then that.

Second, I don't believe they are "paid", in the regular sense, for the Preseason, so that's their "leverage" as far as I understood it.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
First, really? Come on, you're better then that.

Second, I don't believe they are "paid", in the regular sense, for the Preseason, so that's their "leverage" as far as I understood it.

yeah it was a cheap shot. I admit it.

I just can't believe so many players think the agreement is garbage and still want to strike. the got the best they could with the negotiation, so deal with it. striking isn't going to make the deal any better.
and they'll never get back the money the lost if they do strike.

they have no real leverage. At a certain point, they should take they gains they managed to get, take the raise in pay, be glad they have jobs and get to play ball for a living.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
yeah it was a cheap shot. I admit it.

I just can't believe so many players think the agreement is garbage and still want to strike. the got the best they could with the negotiation, so deal with it. striking isn't going to make the deal any better.
and they'll never get back the money the lost if they do strike.

they have no real leverage. At a certain point, they should take they gains they managed to get, take the raise in pay, be glad they have jobs and get to play ball for a living.

How many actually hate it? I really don't know. I just know that you usually here the negatives in these situations a lot louder than the positives.

is that the case here?

Last edited:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
How many actually hate it? I really don't know. I just know that you usually here the negatives in these situations a lot louder than the negatives.

is that the case here?

perhaps that is true. We'll see how the votes turns out, I guess.

If I had to guess, the stars of the league will vote no, and the low pay guys will vote yes.
just to guess for fun, I would say 65% will approve the deal.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=454395

Ricky Foley is voting in favour of the tentative agreement between the CFL and the CFL Players' Association but that doesn't mean he's happy with it.

"I am voting YES to accept the deal & NOT strike...cause we've been backed in2 a corner & I have no confidence in our execs or legal counsel,"

"Just wasting more of our Union Dues...Ain't nobody in Saskatchewan wanna see them, hope they bring their own security,"

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Interesting take on the upcoming Eskimo season from Chris Schultz over at TSN....

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=454403

No where to go but up now that the Kavis Reed era has ended. Hopefully If Rhodes keeps his ignorance to a minimum then the clouds may really start to part for this team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting take on the upcoming Eskimo season from Chris Schultz over at TSN....

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=454403

No where to go but up now that the Kavis Reed era has ended. Hopefully If Rhodes keeps his ignorance to a minimum then the clouds may really start to part for this team.

Like the Oilers the Esks need to prove that they have moved on. It's the same every year, hope and then complete and utter shame.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Like the Oilers the Esks need to prove that they have moved on. It's the same every year, hope and then complete and utter shame.

True enough.

That said I do like Chris Jones and I like his chances at bringing back some semblance of respectability.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=454605

Marco Iannuzzi, a wide receiver for the B.C. Lions, took to Twitter to vent his frustrations with the latest negotiations.

"Now, after these #CollectiveBullyingNegotiations we have no choice but to strike for what is #fair," said Iannuzzi. "My apologies to all those who will be affected; stadium staffs, other businesses reliant on gameday revenue & of course to you fans."

I like that. they have no choice but to strike. that's funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad