Elks: Official Eskimos thread meet Devon Bailey Eskimo Latest draft pick

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
True enough.

That said I do like Chris Jones and I like his chances at bringing back some semblance of respectability.
Very true. I'll go to roughly the same amount of games regardless. Might even go tonight as there has been a lot of supplies offering tickets.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Very true. I'll go to roughly the same amount of games regardless. Might even go tonight as there has been a lot of supplies offering tickets.

and if you're a season ticket holder, you get a free ticket for tonight's game, too.

looking forward to it. June isn't hockey season. it's baseball and football season.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
and if you're a season ticket holder, you get a free ticket for tonight's game, too.

looking forward to it. June isn't hockey season. it's baseball and football season.

Too bad our home ex games almost always seem to have ****t* weather, even on days where it was nice during the day I've sat through many ex games where it just peed down rain. :)

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Sorry to be missing this game tonight. Would love to watch it. Areas of interest are the O-line, running backs, D-line...well pretty much the whole defence. I'm excited for the new season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Wow! Exhibition game or not, that's a small crowd. It's such a pleasant evening weather wise.

Edit: never mind. just saw a wide angle shot of the crowd and it looks pretty decent. for some reason it's just the first 5 or 6 rows that are empty.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
It's only preseason. Getting beaten by BC's practice roster at Commonwealth doesn't mean anything.

On the plus side, we did score a point in the second half. So we have that, which is nice.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
It's only..............???

That game was a lot like the Eskimos games I've watched in previous years.

Hopefully that's not a sign of things to come.

It's only pre-season..........don't forget.......the junior age kicker for the Eskimos missed two easy field goals in the second half.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
The o-line looked good but maybe it was just a bad pass rush from the lions. Reilly worked well with Stamps and Bowman. Nichols looked ok but his arm definitely didnt compare to Reilly. The rest of the offence was pretty weak but we did play 5 qb's in this game so no big surprise. Some good plays on defence but a lot of sloppy tackling, often seemed to be 2 or 3 missed tackles before we finally brought a player down. Special teams were meh.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Esks practise today in Spruce Grove - Fuhr Sports Field at West District Park just south of the Tri Leisure Centre on the west end of town. Free hotdogs. Bring your dad or your kids and celebrate Father's Day.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Wow! Exhibition game or not, that's a small crowd. It's such a pleasant evening weather wise.

Edit: never mind. just saw a wide angle shot of the crowd and it looks pretty decent. for some reason it's just the first 5 or 6 rows that are empty.

I thought about going, but Stanley cup finals were on and that storm we had Friday afternoon seemed a bit much.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
the upgrade in getting rid of the rounded endzones looks great, and will help the players health too.

The best thing is they covered the ugly, faded track with what looks to be green padding.

really improves the overall look of the place.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Yeah the track looked nicer but the big fancy new scoreboard really didnt seem all that different to me. It extended out and took up the whole area but really it wasnt any different, the sides used to be covered with ads lo-res on a gold background now those ads were on the edges of the hi-def big screen. Not really a great investment, maybe they can get more ad revenue off of it but I doubt it.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Yeah the track looked nicer but the big fancy new scoreboard really didnt seem all that different to me. It extended out and took up the whole area but really it wasnt any different, the sides used to be covered with ads lo-res on a gold background now those ads were on the edges of the hi-def big screen. Not really a great investment, maybe they can get more ad revenue off of it but I doubt it.

I really noticed the quality of the scoreboard on the super slow motion replays. the best example was a B.C. Lion catch that was reviewed as to whether he was in bounds. the quality of the slow motion images was incredible.

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
I checked the word, Eskimo, in wikipedia and there is an interesting fact that you might find interesting. There are some words that sound like Eskimos. For instance,

assime·w = "she laces a snowshoe", "snowshoe-netter", "to net snowshoes."
askamiciw = "he eats it raw"
askipiw = "eats something raw"

So, which word is correct? Snowshoe-netter or Raw eater?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I checked the word, Eskimo, in wikipedia and there is an interesting fact that you might find interesting. There are some words that sound like Eskimos. For instance,

assime·w = "she laces a snowshoe", "snowshoe-netter", "to net snowshoes."
askamiciw = "he eats it raw"
askipiw = "eats something raw"

So, which word is correct? Snowshoe-netter or Raw eater?

Historically Esquimaux, and similar terms have described "eaters of raw meat" Its not until more recent decades that people have tried to associate it with different terms and perhaps with pc agenda.

Although given present day knowledge of benefits of consuming raw fish I'm not sure how its considered such a slight.

In anycase Cree and Algonquins referred to inuit with terms connoting eaters or raw flesh before whiteman even arrived.

Last edited:

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
Historically Esquimaux, and similar terms have described "eaters of raw meat" Its not until more recent decades that people have tried to associate it with different terms and perhaps with pc agenda.

Although given present day knowledge of benefits of consuming raw fish I'm not sure how its considered such a slight.

In anycase Algonquins referred to inuit with terms connoting eaters or raw flesh before whiteman even arrived.

Well the French traders, who encountered the Inuit people, choose the word, Esquimaux, because they overheard that word from Montagnais speakers who refer neighbouring Mi'kmaq people as "assime·w"

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Well the French traders, who encountered the Inuit people, choose the word, Esquimaux, because they overheard that word from Montagnais speakers who refer neighbouring Mi'kmaq people as "assime·w"

Its a case of changing narrative and revisited history. In any history book I had in school Esquimaux, and several other similarly phonetic terms meant "eaters of raw meat".

I'm all for clarity and history being quantified and evaluated with more of a view of first person voice in that history but if first nations were calling inuit as such 100's of years ago and have this in their spoken word history I'll listen to that more than what somebody had to say in 1978 in revisiting it centuries later.

Marc08

Mar 17, 2006
Its a case of changing narrative and revisited history. In any history book I had in school Esquimaux, and several other similarly phonetic terms meant "eaters of raw meat".

I'm all for clarity and history being quantified and evaluated with more of a view of first person voice in that history but if first nations were calling inuit as such 100's of years ago and have this in their spoken word history I'll listen to that more than what somebody had to say in 1978 in revisiting it centuries later.

Kiviaq, an Inuit lawyer, former city councillor, and former Edmonton Eskimo, didn't feel offended from the word Eskimo.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Kiviaq, an Inuit lawyer, former city councillor, and former Edmonton Eskimo, didn't feel offended from the word Eskimo.

Why should somebody be offended at the meaning? Do sushi eaters get offended?

If anything inuit were pretty much ahead of their time in realizing how to make the absolute most use out of an available food source from a dietary and every use aspect utilizing virtually everything that a kill provided. From bones to fur to meat.

If this is offensive to anybody I don't know why.

Now if people are arguing that the name the Eskimos is propagating a whiteman derivation of terms and not properly respecting what a people would prefer to be recognized as that's another argument. But to be offended at the connotation of eaters of raw meat. That's a stretch..

ps I expect somebody named Dorian to make some fun out of this post..:D

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
cool. this thread is near 1000 posts.
a nice fresh thread coming up for a new season.

the best part of the season for the oilers and esks fans. enjoying the possibilities before the failure set in.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
cool. this thread is near 1000 posts.
a nice fresh thread coming up for a new season.

the best part of the season for the oilers and esks fans. enjoying the possibilities before the failure set in.

Well Esks fans should be happy that Winnipeg is in the West again and they hired a coach doesn't even wear a headset during the game.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Released so far....

National DT Gregory Alexandre
National WR Anthony Barrett
International RB Hugh Charles
National DE Michael Dadzie
International DT Ra’Shon Harris
National CB Raye Hartmann
National C Gord Hinse
International DB Myron Lewis
International SB Brandon McRae
National P/K Zackary Medeiros
National LB Kyle Norris
International DT Daniel Ross
International CB Robert Sands
International DE Cameron Sheffield
National FB Smith Wright

Hugh Charles is a bit of a surprise...Gord Hinse as well. Apparently the young RB's made quite an impression. More bang for the buck.

More cuts to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->