Elks: Official Eskimos thread meet Devon Bailey Eskimo Latest draft pick

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I'm going to take the players' side on this. The teams are getting a large increase in their revenue and they're offering peanuts. These players put their health on the line and many leave the game with lingering injuries that affect them for life. There are individual hockey, NFL and basketball players who out-earn entire CFL teams. There is a lack of respect here sometimes for these athletes and their abilities but there are some very good athletes playing a great sport - I think it is - and they deserve more of this money.

Completely agree.

I agree.

Now what we really want to know is how many wins are the Esks going to end up with this year?

I'm sure Winnipeg can't help but be better this year, and we only play the Redblacks twice. Maybe a surprise win somewhere. Add a garbage time season finale win against a resting playoff-bound team.

I haven't forgotten how thoroughly dominated we were in nearly every game, before we'd scrape a few TDs against the ol' Prevent Nothing defense.

Any other CFL team, I'd buy a pair of season tickets, knowing I'd only make 5-6 games, and call it money well spent. The Esks...just an absolutely classless, clueless organization.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Completely agree.

I'm sure Winnipeg can't help but be better this year, and we only play the Redblacks twice. Maybe a surprise win somewhere. Add a garbage time season finale win against a resting playoff-bound team.

I haven't forgotten how thoroughly dominated we were in nearly every game, before we'd scrape a few TDs against the ol' Prevent Nothing defense.

Any other CFL team, I'd buy a pair of season tickets, knowing I'd only make 5-6 games, and call it money well spent. The Esks...just an absolutely classless, clueless organization.

I hope to heck you never buy tix to the oilers in that case. The Eskimos have had about 4 years of pure idiocy I won't argue with that but they are in much better shape now and in no way shape or form are near the level of the Oilers for incompetence and classless.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
I hope to heck you never buy tix to the oilers in that case. The Eskimos have had about 4 years of pure idiocy I won't argue with that but they are in much better shape now and in no way shape or form are near the level of the Oilers for incompetence and classless.

Whats classless about the oilers?

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Can you imagine if AHL players went on strike? It would be LOL inducing.

CFL players going on strike would be even funnier, because they have no alternatives. You don't like it? Then get a real job! cause there sure as hell isn't any alternative football leagues. They make more than the average wage but of course they want a bigger piece of the pie, screw the health of the league.

I would LOVE to see the CFL bring in replacements, which let's face it wouldn't be much lower than what's currently playing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Incompetent is s better description of both organizations.

As for the CFL players. I hope they get their fair share from the available revenue. Playing a violent game like football for a pittance of $70,000 (avg) is a joke.

They deserve better.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Can you imagine if AHL players went on strike? It would be LOL inducing.

CFL players going on strike would be even funnier, because they have no alternatives. You don't like it? Then get a real job! cause there sure as hell isn't any alternative football leagues. They make more than the average wage but of course they want a bigger piece of the pie, screw the health of the league.

I would LOVE to see the CFL bring in replacements, which let's face it wouldn't be much lower than what's currently playing.

Pretty much this.

Especially considering if the whole league brought in replacements then maybe we'd have a fresh start at a chance of winning.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Incompetent is s better description of both organizations.

As for the CFL players. I hope they get their fair share from the available revenue. Playing a violent game like football for a pittance of $70,000 (avg) is a joke.

They deserve better.

They can get better, make the NFL.

All for them getting their fair share, but they really need to keep things in perspective. But I suspect any sort of strike will just hurt the guys making league min that decide to quit football and use that piece of paper they got in college that was funded because of football.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They can get better, make the NFL.

All for them getting their fair share, but they really need to keep things in perspective. But I suspect any sort of strike will just hurt the guys making league min that decide to quit football and use that piece of paper they got in college that was funded because of football.

The AHL comparison is ridiculous.

There are no national TV contracts for AHL hockey. TSN has made this League quite profitable.

I am not suggesting that a strike is the right move but the owners need to share the wealth a bit here.
A paltry 7% increase in players salaries is a slap in the face.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Some things people should know before making wild accusations that the CFL's offer is "a slap in the face"

-The CFLPA formerly had a revenue sharing agreement with the league set at 56% of gross revenue as recently as 2006. The fact is the CFLPA negotiated that away in the 2010 CBA preferring an immediate and schedule cap increases over a continuance of revenue sharing. (So I have precious little sympathy that a players association that walked away from revenue sharing thinking that a highercap was a better plan is now *****ing and moaning about not being revenue tied. Looks like the players association hoodwinked themselves there. Yeah, how much changes with that view on the situation? This is a PA that basically underestimated future league revenues, wanted no part of continued revenue growing/revenue sharing partnership with the league but now 4yrs later are clamoring to get that pie back that they gave away. You should all be shaking your heads at the CFLPA around now)

Player salaries do not include such things as exhibition/TC pay,(750/week, minimum 3weeks paid for veterans) per diem(115 bucks/travel, away from home day) playoff pay(as much as 16K) Benefits, pension, disability payments, practice roster payments, and that practice roster players have room and board included.

An average(real average not including injured players or players that only played a few games) for starting players is around 80K. This jumps closer to 100K or over when other benefits/payments are included. Also, bonuses, endorsements, appearance fees are not included.

So being that we've established that players are paid for preseason and postseason(quite well) the pay for regular season in the CFL is really for around only 4months of football. So 80K average base pay(again not including all payments) is essentially for 1/3 of a year.

I ask again, if CFL reimbursement for players isn't enough then why is there never any shortage of players willing to come and play here. Why can any team just phone up and get a taxisquad of players on a dime to come out and try out or be on practice roster?

Fact of the matter is CFL clubs have zero difficulty with player recruitment at this pay scale. Even less so at NFL cuts time.

People bleating about the CFL not paying enough need to establish why, from a supply and demand perspective, that the CFL should be paying more.

The CFL would be stupid to pay more. Whens the last time you heard a CFL player say they're quitting, retiring, relocating, because they're not getting paid enough and may as well stay at home?

Last edited:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I'm with replacement, these guys have zero leverage.

There are 240 nfl v payers drafted every year. Maybe the first three round make the nfl... That's a solid 900 (150 times 6 years or so) worth of random replacement players in their prime who could step in and perform a chl players job quite easily and make at least double their annual income in four months...

There are only 180 jobs to be had in the cfl. In what world would they have any leverage? These aren't A level, B level, and in most cases even C level players (with some exceptions, maybe 10-15 guys). These are D or E level guys. This is like ECHL hockey players striking. They should be happy they have a job.

It's made even more of a joke by the fact that the revenue sharing these players want they already had bit pissed away because the league had a down year four years ago and they wouldn't get to have a raise.

I'm sorry, but these players are in for a rude awakening.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm with replacement, these guys have zero leverage.

There are 240 nfl v payers drafted every year. Maybe the first three round make the nfl... That's a solid 900 (150 times 6 years or so) worth of random replacement players in their prime who could step in and perform a chl players job quite easily and make at least double their annual income in four months...

There are only 180 jobs to be had in the cfl. In what world would they have any leverage? These aren't A level, B level, and in most cases even C level players (with some exceptions, maybe 10-15 guys). These are D or E level guys. This is like ECHL hockey players striking. They should be happy they have a job.

It's made even more of a joke by the fact that the revenue sharing these players want they already had bit pissed away because the league had a down year four years ago and they wouldn't get to have a raise.

I'm sorry, but these players are in for a rude awakening.

AS I've referenced this is the biggest joke of all. That the CFLPA wasn't buying the CFL revenue projections in last CBA, wanted no part of revenue sharing, instead wanted non tied immediate cap increases, and now wants their bread buttered and cake too at a later date.

Its so laughably ironic the CFLPA even has the gall to ask for revenue sharing at this point now that revenues are better than they expected. Maybe they should have thought longer about being revenue partners in 2010, they have only themselves to blame.

Jack Butler

May 3, 2014
AS I've referenced this is the biggest joke of all. That the CFLPA wasn't buying the CFL revenue projections in last CBA, wanted no part of revenue sharing, instead wanted non tied immediate cap increases, and now wants their bread buttered and cake too at a later date.

Its so laughably ironic the CFLPA even has the gall to ask for revenue sharing at this point now that revenues are better than they expected. Maybe they should have thought longer about being revenue partners in 2010, they have only themselves to blame.

Teams that have built new stadia need to pay for those as well.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

- Attempt to make a player pay 2 million dollars in a trade extortion.
- Go ballistic on a FA wife (Nylander) and put a big add in the paper telling how they are going to take the guy to court.
- Black ball players after they have the gaul to question the team.
- Blast another teams gm because they can't take the high road and laughably criticze a player that was drafted by that gm that was better than 90% of oiler picks.
- Nepotism central as far as organizational hires goes.
- Threaten fans and the city over an arena deal by making laughable visits to places like Seattle.
- Lowe goes ballistic over the 1st non softball question he has had in 10 years at the new gms press conference incuklidng boastin about rings, classifying fans, totally overvaluing the team and boasting about the front office that has accomplised nothing at all.

There's more I'm sure, these are just off the top of my head. This team is full of mean spirited hubris.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
- Attempt to make a player pay 2 million dollars in a trade extortion.
- Go ballistic on a FA wife (Nylander) and put a big add in the paper telling how they are going to take the guy to court.
- Black ball players after they have the gaul to question the team.
- Blast another teams gm because they can't take the high road and laughably criticze a player that was drafted by that gm that was better than 90% of oiler picks.
- Nepotism central as far as organizational hires goes.
- Threaten fans and the city over an arena deal by making laughable visits to places like Seattle.
- Lowe goes ballistic over the 1st non softball question he has had in 10 years at the new gms press conference incuklidng boastin about rings, classifying fans, totally overvaluing the team and boasting about the front office that has accomplised nothing at all.

There's more I'm sure, these are just off the top of my head. This team is full of mean spirited hubris.

Is that all, come on you can find more, it's like you didn't even try.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Some things people should know before making wild accusations that the CFL's offer is "a slap in the face"

-The CFLPA formerly had a revenue sharing agreement with the league set at 56% of gross revenue as recently as 2006. The fact is the CFLPA negotiated that away in the 2010 CBA preferring an immediate and schedule cap increases over a continuance of revenue sharing. (So I have precious little sympathy that a players association that walked away from revenue sharing thinking that a highercap was a better plan is now *****ing and moaning about not being revenue tied. Looks like the players association hoodwinked themselves there. Yeah, how much changes with that view on the situation? This is a PA that basically underestimated future league revenues, wanted no part of continued revenue growing/revenue sharing partnership with the league but now 4yrs later are clamoring to get that pie back that they gave away. You should all be shaking your heads at the CFLPA around now)

Player salaries do not include such things as exhibition/TC pay,(750/week, minimum 3weeks paid for veterans) per diem(115 bucks/travel, away from home day) playoff pay(as much as 16K) Benefits, pension, disability payments, practice roster payments, and that practice roster players have room and board included.

An average(real average not including injured players or players that only played a few games) for starting players is around 80K. This jumps closer to 100K or over when other benefits/payments are included. Also, bonuses, endorsements, appearance fees are not included.

So being that we've established that players are paid for preseason and postseason(quite well) the pay for regular season in the CFL is really for around only 4months of football. So 80K average base pay(again not including all payments) is essentially for 1/3 of a year.

I ask again, if CFL reimbursement for players isn't enough then why is there never any shortage of players willing to come and play here. Why can any team just phone up and get a taxisquad of players on a dime to come out and try out or be on practice roster?

Fact of the matter is CFL clubs have zero difficulty with player recruitment at this pay scale. Even less so at NFL cuts time.

People bleating about the CFL not paying enough need to establish why, from a supply and demand perspective, that the CFL should be paying more.

The CFL would be stupid to pay more. Whens the last time you heard a CFL player say they're quitting, retiring, relocating, because they're not getting paid enough and may as well stay at home?

I'm with you.
I've been a fan and season ticket holder for many years.
In the 90's and early 2000's I wished the players had higher pay, especially when the American players got screwed at a 60 cent dollar. but now, they have it pretty good and are getting greedy.
Sure they take a beating, and I wished they could make more. I wish I made more, too.
their decision in 2010 is biting them on the butt now. very good points about that. maybe they should have been more loyal to the fortunes of the league.

for the players, it's not what they (and we) wish they could get paid, but what is a fair and reasonable increase.
a 40% increase of the salary cap just for this year, isn't fair.

someone make the point that in the summertime, going to an esks game is an option amongst many other activities. it's not like the wintertime and the oilers as a religion.

not many people are going to care, or even notice if the players strike. Heck, I'm a long time season ticket holder and I'll just move on to other activities.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
This argument sounds like how NHL players were (mis)treated back in the day. Wasn't right then and it's not right now. My opinion....

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
This argument sounds like how NHL players were (mis)treated back in the day. Wasn't right then and it's not right now. My opinion....

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you.

This is nothing like the NHL was back in the 40's and 50's.

I personally don't feel the players are being mistreated in any way.
I have no problem with the players getting a piece of pie, I just think they don't deserve as big of a piece as they want.
like a child, their determination of what's fair seems to be skewed.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you.

This is nothing like the NHL was back in the 40's and 50's.

I personally don't feel the players are being mistreated in any way.
I have no problem with the players getting a piece of pie, I just think they don't deserve as big of a piece as they want.
like a child, their determination of what's fair seems to be skewed.

Funny, I don't disagree with you. I just want them to make more money. Not a fortune, but more. I also don't think it's the same as in the '40s and '50s nor are they mistreated. I do think they're being taken advantage of, that's all, and salaries should be higher and we should have larger rosters. I think their salaries should be...let's say 25 to 30 per cent more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad